Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

They are encouraged by how it’s going in Germany and that is why they are happy to go to the next stage. Postponement came because we knew it was the start and would get far worse, now we are well beyond the peak and shops are opening soon. The reasons  for not starting are getting less and less 

Yes, it looks like the PL and the television companies will get the restart they wanted, but they might still struggle to get the season finished. 

Too many people (including sadly Dean Smith's late father) have continued to contract this virus on a weekly basis as it is, before a possible second spike, for us to feel too comfortable about this mad rush to restart the season, that is in my opinion, mostly motivated by economic considerations, as is the reopening of shops. It just doesn't feel right to be playing football just yet, in my opinion. I just hope that we manage to get away with it, without having cause to regret this sort of haste in the future.🤞 

Edited by John
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The rest of your comment i agree with the first paragraph and I cant disagree too much with the second paragraph but this final line to me is BS.  We still had/have 10 games to go, if this lockdown had started just a week or so beforehand we would be outside relegation zone.  If we won our game in hand we would be outside relegation zone.  Additionally until 38 games have been played we havent failed.  So for the 100th time this last line is BS.

I wasn’t very clear I meant that if the season was completed and we went down. We can’t use 10 games to write off the preceding 28 whatever football looks like when it returns. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I wasn’t very clear I meant that if the season was completed and we went down. We can’t use 10 games to write off the preceding 28 whatever football looks like when it returns. 

I go along with that.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would have thought most teams will have a game every midweek anyway - I think they'll have to schedule Villa/Sheffield to be played on the same day as an FA Cup or European game.

The Fa cup can wait until they finish the league games and europe won't be having its fixtures until August. Yeah there will be a couple of midweek rounds but I'd reserve the first midweek after the first weekend games for our game and Man. City-Arsenal just so everyone is equal with games played pretty early on.

5 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Certainly prefer playing Sheffield United out of the gate than Chelsea. 

I bet Sheff Utd are one of the fittest out the lot and have total focus on this once in a lifetime opportunity they currently find themselves in. Read somewhere Wilder had them doing fitness work throughout this break to keep in peak condition. Whereas Matt Targett openly came out and said we need 6 weeks or so to even get to an acceptable level of fitness whilst scoffing down a stuffed crust meatfest in his interview.

That being said, lets hope for a McGinn - Grealish masterclass infront of the empty seats, scrape a 1-0 and then get the season voided on PPG.

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Ok but do you agree that we have a better chance of staying up now than we would have if the season had of continued. The way I see is we were in freefall before the coronavirus. Even Grealish had lost heart. 

Ask me once I’ve seen them play....this new environment is going to throw up some new dynamics.  The theory suggests we can reset, rebalance, adjust and be in a better place but so will our rivals.  We don’t know how our players are going to react either, I’m hoping positively but you don’t know it could go the opposite way.

So do we have a better chance now than if we had continued? Theory says yes but reality let’s wait and see.  I still think we would’ve stayed up if we had continued....that’s debatable and ultimately useless to argue because we’ll never know now.

Lets just hope we do now have a better chance and we take it and avoid relegation as that’s the only reality we have now.

Am I alone in thinking that games behind closed doors could actually help some of our players? I remember Smith's rant after we lost to Southampton how we have too many training ground players, games would be a lot closer to that than the pressures of the crowd if things aren't going right. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Am I alone in thinking that games behind closed doors could actually help some of our players? I remember Smith's rant after we lost to Southampton how we have too many training ground players, games would be a lot closer to that than the pressures of the crowd if things aren't going right. 

U would think so. But this is villa