Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not strictly true in the modern age, many clubs don’t work totally that way.

Wasn't even true of Clough, it's a myth that seemingly only exists in the UK. Team game off the pitch too, always was. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Wasn't even true of Clough, it's a myth that seemingly only exists in the UK. Team game off the pitch too, always was. 

Yep agree

10 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Because we were so shit before coronabreak, we will have a better chance of staying up now than we would have without corona. So many things are uncertain now and can come into play. Motivation, health, home advantage, conditioning... I don't think we'll stay up, but our chances have improved.

We were on a 4 game losing streak.

Crucial for us to get off to a good start. If not in terms of results at least put in a decent performance

25 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Team game, but in the end there should be one decision maker who bares the responsibility.

Nowadays responsibility is often shared, and no-one knows who to blame.

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Team game, but in the end there should be one decision maker who bares the responsibility.

Smith is given a list of targets and scouting reports and has the final say. Transfers aren't going through behind he's back 

Players like Jota, Konsa, El Ghazi, Mings and Hause are definitely Smith signings

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Smith is given a list if targets and scouting reports and has the final say. Transfers aren't going through behind he's back 

Final say. Wow. This a new thing or are you on the board? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Why should somebody bare all the responsibility?  Whether it is Smith or Klopp or Dyche.

I agree they bare most, because they are a leader, in charge of tactics etc but I would argue it depends on the question/topic.  In terms of recruitment we know it’s not individual because they have this panel arrangement.  Also Suso is in charge or recruitment and has pulled together all the info on players recommended.  I mean with all the games these days they is only so much time managers get to study other players and rely heavily on their recruitment team.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

Because we were so shit before coronabreak, we will have a better chance of staying up now than we would have without corona. So many things are uncertain now and can come into play. Motivation, health, home advantage, conditioning... I don't think we'll stay up, but our chances have improved.

Looking at the Bundesliga form guide, clubs have pretty much picked-up where they left-off. We'll have really done well to avoid relegation.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Some of you may argue the women getting handed the better deal

I think you hope they'll argue and that's why you're posting it 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

I think you hope they'll argue and that's why you're posting it 😉

The question is. 

Are us Villa fans consistent and want the women season to be null and void? After all where is the fairness if it goes by PPG?

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

You’re right we need a scapegoat!!

People were saying that they'd accept 17th at the start of season but I don't think that that by itself means that they weren't expecting better than we've seen, you only have to look at the 'Doing a Fulham' and Summer transfer thread to see that people were expecting better, there was a lot of optimism because of the signings we made. The fact that a lot of people think that Smith is doing a poor job this season and that a lot of those people would even go as far to think we need to replace him if we want to improve, also points to fans expecting better, if things were going well or as expected there wouldn't be that many fans displeased with Smith, he was on the verge of the sack before the season was postpone according to John Percy, and at the start of the season Purslow stated that we spent the money that we did because we 'hand no appetite' to be in a relegatoin battle.

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right we need a scapegoat!!

No, we need someone to be responsible. Shared responsibility doesn't work. When respobsibilities are clear, there's no room for scapegoating. 

2 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Looking at the Bundesliga form guide, clubs have pretty much picked-up where they left-off. We'll have really done well to avoid relegation.

I think so too, but we'll see.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

People were saying that they'd accept 17th at the start of season but I don't think that that by itself means that they weren't expecting better than we've seen, you only have to look at the 'Doing a Fulham' and Summer transfer thread to see that people were expecting better, there was a lot of optimism because of the signings we made. The fact that a lot of people think that Smith is doing a poor job this season and that a lot of those people would even go as far to think we need to replace him if we want to improve, also points to fans expecting better, if things were going well or as expected there wouldn't be that many fans displeased with Smith, he was on the verge of the sack before the season was postpone according to John Percy, and at the start of the season Purslow stated that we spent the money that we did because we 'hand no appetite' to be in a relegatoin battle.

But a sense of realism at the beginning of the season knowing this season was going to be hard so getting 17th was a massive achievement.  When you are deep in the weeds of that battle it was always going to feel worse.  

If you are in the bottom 6 of the league you are going to be poor, you just need to be the best of the poor.  Each of the bottom 6 of the league’s fans are probably saying they are having a poor season.

When I go on my diets every few years, I’m always optimistic but when I’m deep in the weeds going through it, it’s always harder than I imagined and I feel less optimistic that it’ll ever end.

If Smith ends up getting 17th, he’s achieved the goal of this season.  

I don't think there was any sense at the start of the season that 17th would be a massive achievement, that idea is something that has emerged in retrospect. The feeling I got was that people were expecting better but at the same wouldn't be disappointed with 17th  place.

• Like 1