Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Just now, useless said:

I don't think there was any sense at the start of the season that 17th would be a massive achievement, that idea is something that has emerged in retrospect. The feeling I got was that people were expecting better but at the same wouldn't be disappointed with 17th  place.

Ok, we’ll have to agree to disagree on that that first part.  

The main point is the last line and that is still in our sights (along with a Cup final appearance).

23 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No, we need someone to be responsible. Shared responsibility doesn't work. When respobsibilities are clear, there's no room for scapegoating. 

I actually agree. I was just playing about. There’s an old saying, something like, nothing good is ever run by committee. 

• Like 1

Our survival doesn't depend on us beating Sheffield Uniited, they're just one of the ten teams we have left to play, doesn't really matter which one of those games you call our game in hand. To be fair I was looking at their results this season and Southampton and Newcastle are the only lower half teams to have beaten them, to they have a good record against teams similar to us, although Bournemouth, Brighton, West Ham and Watford twice have drawn with them and we don't know how this break will affect the dfferent teams. Either way we have to look at it as a game that we can win.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

Not strictly true in the modern age, many clubs don’t work totally that way.

They don't Nick, its a model brought from the contintent and we have taken it on board.

I see fors and againsts, I am not completely taken with it.

Martin Samuel made a good case against it with Arsenal in last Fridays Daily Mail.

I think if you are building a team, the manager should do it.....if you are buying, with one eye on selling, then it might be ok.....much of what Samuel was saying too.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, useless said:

Our survival doesn't depend on us beating Sheffield Uniited, they're just one of the ten teams we have left to play, doesn't really matter which one of those games you call our game in hand. To be fair I was looking at their results this season and Southampton and Newcastle are the only lower half teams to have beaten them, to they have a good record against teams similar to us, although Bournemouth, Brighton, West Ham and Watford twice have drawn with them and we don't know how this break will affect the dfferent teams. Either way we have to look at it as a game that we can win.

but if we keep losing the games we will run out of games, I know it is obvious, but we cannot keep accepting defeats, like it will just come right.

we must stop losing games.....2 wins and 8 draws, would give us 14 points and leave us on 39.....might just be enough.

5 wins seems a tall order.....we have to scrap for points.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

They don't Nick, its a model brought from the contintent and we have taken it on board.

I see fors and againsts, I am not completely taken with it.

Martin Samuel made a good case against it with Arsenal in last Fridays Daily Mail.

I think if you are building a team, the manager should do it.....if you are buying, with one eye on selling, then it might be ok.....much of what Samuel was saying too.

Pretty sure Konsa, Mings, Hause, El Ghazi and Jota are all Smith's signings... 

How people are talking it almost sounds like Smith had no involvement with any of the signings, which isn't true at all.

Unless we have an amaznig turnaround in form we wlll continue losing games, we just have to make sure that we win more than the other teams in the relegation battle with us, doesn't matter if one of those wins comes against Sheffield United or not as long as we get them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty sure Konsa, Mings, Hause, El Ghazi and Jota are all Smith's signings... 

How people are talking it almost sounds like Smith had no involvement with any of the signings, which isn't true at all.

To be honest, I have no idea, how much involvement he has.

I know managers years gone by had more time to spend watching players, the complexities of the game now, deny them that time, so scouts and DoF's are much more relied upon.

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

I actually agree. I was just playing about. There’s an old saying, something like, nothing good is ever run by committee. 

A camel is a horse designed by a committee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Unless we have an amaznig turnaround in form we wlll continue losing games, we just have to make sure that we win more than the other teams in the relegation battle with us, doesn't matter if one of those wins comes against Sheffield United or not as long as we get them.

We are into a bit of unknown now, we don’t fully know how teams will react, fitness levels, what players are going to play, how managers are going to manage their players or any other unknowns in this environment.  Let’s just hope these variations benefit us and not our rivals and we scrape out of relegation.

11 minutes ago, useless said:

for sure.....but we are all hoping that we do get a turnaround in form....McGinn will be a boost.

With the Pubs closed, Drinkwater may come good too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pretty much every team in the league with perhaps the exception of City and Liverpool will lose games between now and the end of the campaign, that doesn't mean to say we should accept defeat in any given game before it's  happened, but it will very most likely happen in some games, but we can still hopefully stay up by making sure that it doesn't happen in every game.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

Pretty much every team in the league with perhaps the exception of City and Liverpool will lose games between now and the end of the campaign, that doesn't mean to say we should accept defeat in any given game before it's  happened, but it will very most likely happen in some games, but we can still hopefully stay up by making sure that it doesn't happen in every game.

We haven't beaten any of the top half teams so far this season. There needs to be a change in tactics for us to achieve it. And by that I don't mean just a formation change.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We haven't beaten any of the top half teams so far this season. There needs to be a change in tactics for us to achieve it. And by that I don't mean just a formation change.

Not true, we beat one of them away from home.

• Like 1

To stay up we're going to have to beat Palace and Newcastle, don't think we'll scramble enough points from the other games with wins if we don't win those two. Way we're generally defend they're the only two fixtures I'm confident we could limit opposition to just scoring one goal so would give us decent chance of winning. That would give us a fighting chance. 4 wins will keep us up, trouble is we'll be playing the likes of Chelsea and Man. United who will have key players back from injury whereas before the break we were going to face Chelsea without the likes of Abraham and Pulisic.

Last three games could work out o.k if West Ham are safe. Have to think them, Arsenal and Everton won't really care much with nothing to play for and having to play BCD but let's see if the league can actually get that far.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Would you have us playing a back 3 or 4? Jack back in midfield three with McGinn or out wide? Will be interesting to see what tweaks DS makes when things return given he's been watching all the games again so given him some more clarity to think of a better formula to get results.

I would keep Greailsh out wide, I suppose with McGinn back those two can rotate during games a bit if need be. Not sure about the defence we did well initially with three at the back aside from the Man CIty game, but then it went to the wayside. Smith has said that he's reviewed every game with the players in lockdown and that he knows where we've gone and knows what we need to do, so we'll see.

• Like 1