Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I think the PL will schedule a first round of fixtures for those who have a game in hand.

You would think so, but I would imagine that they would want to start off with a full weekend of fixtures. I also suspect that it will be more of a case of what the television companies want. I guess they will prioritise getting Liverpool their championship, before they worry about games like Sheffield United vs us. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

You would think so, but I would imagine that they would want to start off with a full weekend of fixtures. I also suspect that it will be more of a case of what the television companies want. I guess they will prioritise getting Liverpool their championship, before they worry about games like Sheffield United vs us. 

I expect to see games on a daily basis, not just weekends. The relegation battle is probably as interesting as it gets & I'm sure Villa/Sheffield will get lots of attention. Liverpool have won the league regardless of what system is used and truthfully they deserve it.

It will start with Villa/Chelsea. Anyone with half a brain would schedule Villa/Sheffield for the midweek straight after though in case league season gets cancelled and they have to sort it out with PPG.

We have two home games to inflate that a bit so it's crucial we're mentally on it for the restrart.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We have two home games to inflate that a bit so it's crucial we're mentally on it for the restrart.

We've not been mentally on it all season,  but things change I guess. 

Ill be honest i think the behind closed doors will help us away from home as we seem to bottle it away from home.

Also we do know how pressurised VP  can be. 

Like others have said the sheffield united game should be done very early on so all games in hand are done and everyone has played equal games.

All i know is if we get out of the relegation zone and a nother team eg watford go in after a couple games and they cancel the season the amount of mess the pl will have will be 10x worse than now.

12 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just seems madness that they are pushing this so much.

Postponement only took a few cases and the PL got all jittery, now we have more and they think everything is ok...it's hypocritical. 

They are encouraged by how it’s going in Germany and that is why they are happy to go to the next stage. Postponement came because we knew it was the start and would get far worse, now we are well beyond the peak and shops are opening soon. The reasons  for not starting are getting less and less 

Edited by PaulC

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It will start with Villa/Chelsea. Anyone with half a brain would schedule Villa/Sheffield for the midweek straight after though in case league season gets cancelled and they have to sort it out with PPG.

I would have thought most teams will have a game every midweek anyway - I think they'll have to schedule Villa/Sheffield to be played on the same day as an FA Cup or European game.

• Like 1

So Boruc injured and Ramsdale with Covid-19. 

Mark Travers must feel really special getting all the attention from the Bournemouth GK coaches these days.

Meanwhile Deeney is about to go back to training for Watford after being persuaded by his wife.

Edited by sne

Pretty desperate propaganda from the Premier League. Do they not know how long set pieces take? Far longer for 39 seconds, especially with organising defensive walls and formations. Teams like Watford put 11 behind the ball at corners.

Premier League research suggests the risk of stars contracting coronavirus during a match are extremely low due to the short average time in which players are in close contact with each other.

Officials are desperately trying to finalise plans to get the season up and running again following its suspension at the beginning of March, and health and safety remain firmly at the front of everyone's minds.

I cant link it here as it from an athletic article but apparently today some clubs are officially asking today for no relegation if the season is curtailed early.

Unlikely to gain traction from enough clubs, but worth the question, if only to get a calm and civilised response from the leeds fans!

1 hour ago, sne said:

So Boruc injured and Ramsdale with Covid-19. 

Mark Travers must feel really special getting all the attention from the Bournemouth GK coaches these days.

Meanwhile Deeney is about to go back to training for Watford after being persuaded by his wife.

Knew Deeney would back down eventually 

• Haha 1

All Deeney said and I back him on it is that simple questions weren’t answered at all or sufficiently and he wouldn’t return until they were ... Reading about the abuse he has gotten online, bluenose or not is disgusting ... I struggle to comprehend the mentality of someone wishing death on a 5 month old child. 

My mood on the matter has changed somewhat over the weeks  and based on the current data I’m less worried than a few weeks ago and I do see the need for a new form of normality to return sooner rather than later basically down to £££ which cannot be ignored sadly. 

if we go down it will be based on our 28 performances before lockdown and only have ourselves to blame. 

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

if we go down it will be based on our 28 performances before lockdown and only have ourselves to blame. 

The rest of your comment i agree with the first paragraph and I cant disagree too much with the second paragraph but this final line to me is BS.  We still had/have 10 games to go, if this lockdown had started just a week or so beforehand we would be outside relegation zone.  If we won our game in hand we would be outside relegation zone.  Additionally until 38 games have been played we havent failed.  So for the 100th time this last line is BS.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The rest of your comment i agree with the first paragraph and I cant disagree too much with the second paragraph but this final line to me is BS.  We still had/have 10 games to go, if this lockdown had started just a week or so beforehand we would be outside relegation zone.  If we won our game in hand we would be outside relegation zone.  Additionally until 38 games have been played we havent failed.  So for the 100th time this last line is BS.

Ok but do you agree that we have a better chance of staying up now than we would have if the season had of continued. The way I see is we were in freefall before the coronavirus. Even Grealish had lost heart. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gurru991 said:

I expect to see games on a daily basis, not just weekends. The relegation battle is probably as interesting as it gets & I'm sure Villa/Sheffield will get lots of attention. Liverpool have won the league regardless of what system is used and truthfully they deserve it.

Agreed. I would expect they would look to get teams playing every 3 or 4 days (after the first bumper television restart weekend :rolleyes:) and to then spread the games, so that a couple are played each day. Yes, Liverpool can have their title, unlike relegation and promotion issues, it is 99.9% settled.