Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

And so it begins, I see the plan. Get the games in hand out of the way early then abandon it with no unresolved issues.

We had better beat Sheffield. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Am I alone in thinking that games behind closed doors could actually help some of our players? I remember Smith's rant after we lost to Southampton how we have too many training ground players, games would be a lot closer to that than the pressures of the crowd if things aren't going right. 

Remember when Targett was vomiting on the side of the pitch. He wasn't ill, it's nerves.

I think it will actually help us if players are not scared of making a mistake in front of fans, and if Deano himself has identified it then it's a genuine thing.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

So, what happens if a player or staff member is found to have Covid-19 before June 17? What's the protocol beyond self-isolation?

AFAIK that is all there is to it, as long as players test negative they carry on as normal, once they test positive they self-isolate. It's reactive rather than proactive, given that they're expecting a small number of cases. 

Having said that the test and trace scheme would suggest anyone who comes into contact with someone who tests positive should self-isolate, but I don't think clubs are following this, else the league would never have been able to restart realistically.

Bring. It. On. 😜 

Fitness preparation will be key. I can forgive us not being technically amongst the front runners, but I’ll be fuming if we get found wanting with our fitness. I really hope they’re all ready to try and get to levels of intensity that they’ve not been to before. Sheffield Utd first game back, we must win that game and show we are drilled and ready to go up against anyone. It will be totally unforgivable if we’re found to be behind others fitness levels. 

25 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Am I alone in thinking that games behind closed doors could actually help some of our players? I remember Smith's rant after we lost to Southampton how we have too many training ground players, games would be a lot closer to that than the pressures of the crowd if things aren't going right. 

Yeah but our away record is absolutely shocking while our home form is comparatively ok (although still not great). Surely if that were the case we'd do better, or at least not do so bad, in away games?

Just now, Zatman said:

1st game back, Mings should tell all opposition he has corona, nobody will go near our box. Maybe cough on a few opposition players 

Right that would work 

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And so it begins, I see the plan. Get the games in hand out of the way early then abandon it with no unresolved issues.

This is the thing written on the wall. If things go south, then end the season and decide the table by PPG. If things go well, then all the better.

Our most important game in a year coming up.

• Like 1

I actually think the return of McGinn, the time off to refresh minds plus neutral venues could work in our favour if we stay at full strength but I'm a bit confused about the new track and trace thing and its effect on football teams.

Just rewatched highlights of the first game against Shef United , they battered us ..recall last season in the 3-3 they did the same but somehow fell apart to let us draw.Very well coached and they are brilliant at over laps with the Wing backs

I'm pretty surprised this looks like resuming again and I am not totally convinced it will conclude with a full completion of (38) fixtures.

As others have alluded to, it will probably only last long enough to award Liverpool the title and a PPG system for relegation!

Other than Man City and Liverpool (for obvious reasons), I would say Sheffield United are probably the next team I wouldn't want to face going on our recent results/performances against them.

It's going to be a very tough start and I already fear for us (mentally) as we know with Wilder's team they will be right up and at it from the off and I think this fixture was definitely one where the "12th man" would've spurred us on.

Let's hope the break came at a right time for us and the return of McGinn (no pressure John) can spark us into some end of season form!🤞

I think today of all days describes the scumbag Premier League. A Premier League managers father has died from corona virus complications. Instead of respect, they announce the league return date. Scumbags

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Without question this is what they are planning. An absolute cup final of cup finals is the Sheff United game.

• Like 2