Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just embarrassing! I just dont know how they face themselves.  

Everybody knows the situation regarding the NHS and other first responders and then still turn up to take those tests......just have no......dont even know the word.

I wonder what the players and staff say to family members who are NHS workers....how do you argue that footballers get tests before NHS workers, you just cant.

I think the anger should be at why does the NHS not have the necessary resources to undertake major testing of all staff and other key frontline workers, not that clubs have paid a small fortune to ensure players are tested regularly... Its not the NHS or clubs & players fault and the blame and anger should lie with  the Tories (unless they voted for them)Who have spent the last 10 years or so cutting funding below acceptable levels . Clubs are being treated as political pawns somewhat and the cash cow needs milking sooner rather than later... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think the anger should be at why does the NHS not have the necessary resources to undertake major testing of all staff and other key frontline workers, not that clubs have paid a small fortune to ensure players are tested regularly... Its not the clubs or players faults the Tories have spent the last 10 years or so cutting funding below acceptable levels . 

While I agree with some of your logic, I cant completely go along with it because then it just means the rich can buy what ever they want and everybody gets screwed because of the establishment.  It's an argument that the rich say constantly and I'm far from a liberal, labour preaching/follower that you could be.  I love my queue jumping Business class flights, I love walking to the front of the queue for things and I love my top notch private healthcare but even I have limits. 

Simple to say well it's not their fault it's somebody else's fault and rightly it's the government fault but does that make it any better that they take tests away from NHS workers?  Tests that are available but a company has seen a (legitimate)sneaky way of selling them for big bucks to football.  That football takes up that offer.  If football didnt take up that offer would that company not sell them to the government.  If rich companies and/or football didnt buy them would they not sell to the government for NHS at a reasonable price?  you could argue that they might not make them then which I suppose is valid.  It would be interesting to see who that company also supplies to.

Just because football can buy them, doesnt mean they should when NHS workers are desperate for them...........

Yep we're nearly in June so I'm staggered if anyone on NHS frontline still isn't getting the testing they need. Give the government pelters not premier league clubs imo.

Was talking to my Dad at the weekend who rebuilds motorcycles and trades spares and one of his sources of getting the parts has a shop in Aston. He tested his employees and turns out most of them had the virus even though they didn't realise so ultimately if business can afford it they'll test their staff before re-opening. I don't have a problem with it.

Edited by VillaChris

Arguably the government should be mandating all tests that can be made, by whoever, should be made, at a set price and distributed by the government.  The US couldve done that through their DPA law, I wonder if the UK has a similar law they could enact at any point.  

Football is under the spotlight since the stupid suggestion that players should give up 30% of their wages... Why not hedge fund managers?  why were Just footballers singled out?  I’m sure other private firms/ organisations etc  have also spent fortunes on testing kit but football is being used as a sort of political pawn. 

Edited by thabucks

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Yep we're nearly in June so I'm staggered if anyone on NHS frontline still isn't getting the testing they need. Give the government pelters not premier league clubs imo.

Was talking to my Dad at the weekend who rebuilds motorcycles and trades spares and one of his sources of getting the parts has a shop in Aston. He tested his employees and turns out most of them had the virus even though they didn't realise so ultimately if business can afford it they'll test their staff before re-opening. I don't have a problem with it.

Why dont you have a problem with it?  Vital tests go to the highest bidder.  NHS workers who have risked their lives, ahh well just the governments fault....dont have a problem with it.  Not really a great response is it.

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Football is under the spotlight since the stupid few players should give up 30% of their wages... Why not hedge fund managers?  why were Just footballers singled out?  I’m sure other private firms/ organisations etc  have also spent fortunes on testing kit but football is being used as a sort of political pawn. 

I totally agree.  As I said all tests shouldve been mandated to be built and then controlled by the government.  I dont believe in government overreach generally but in a pandemic it shouldve happened but due to that lack leadership it is a just a free market now where the rich are ok but the poor and NHS workers are screwed.

I never agreed to the 30% loss of wages, if they want to do that then fine but I wouldnt have thought any different of them.

Lack of government leadership on this was incredible but football instead of being in the spotlight and using that for good or to lead the way has just shown us (more) that it is a money grabbing industry and to hell with the people that carried this country on their shoulders for the last 4 months. 

I'm sure if any of the footballers elderly relatives or vulnerable relations get the virus because of the footballers that they'll be leaning on those NHS workers who they have screwed over.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why dont you have a problem with it?  Vital tests go to the highest bidder.  NHS workers who have risked their lives, ahh well just the governments fault....dont have a problem with it.  Not really a great response is it.

Government should've got the testing numbers way up before start of May when football came back. Even then the 100k + a day is being fudged a bit as they count ones just sent out in the post. At middle of April it was still under 15k so miles too low to make a difference.

Too slow like in a few others areas of dealing with the outbreak.

Just looked up a few articles and seems in any case the premier league are getting their tests from a different supplier/lab to what NHS is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

But it IS the governments fault though that the NHS was so ill prepared compared to say Germany but we are wondering away from football. 

I agree with this point 100%.  I think you are missing my point, which I'm obviously not conveying well.  As you say we are moving away from football so I will stop on this topic now as it makes no difference anyway because it's going to happen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Just looked up a few articles and seems in any case the premier league are getting their tests from a different supplier/lab to what NHS is.

Yeah and the government shouldve mandated them to the stockpile but hey ho, they didnt.  All companies that couldve built testing shouldve been mandated to by law months ago and owned by the government stockpile but werent. Leadership lacking from the government as you say.

• Like 1

We will have to see what football does once society gets fully operational again.

You have to think if there's actually an international break in March 2021 that's an ideal time to arrange a charity match of some kind and donate all proceeds to local hospitals and workers. Get the ticket pricing right and if it's safe for mass gatherings again I'm sure you could get an attendance of 35k +. at VP given I doubt they'll be that many games before when we could crowds of that size back, could be a nice way to restart things again actually.

Middlesborough are arranging one.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ill-there-says-juninho-star-18203066

Mikkel Beck has confirmed that Juninho will play in a star-studded Riverside COVID-19 charity game.

The Danish striker has spoken to the Little Fella who has committed himself to the post-lockdown fundraiser

As yet it is impossible to say when the game will be - but the Brazilian icon has said whenever it is, he will be there.

The delighted Dane announced on his Twitter today: "I’m super happy to be able to announce to all you die hard Boro supporters out there that Juninho has agreed to come to my charity match."

Juninho is a legendary figure adored by Boro fans and is the big name that will help put bums on seats.

He could be joined back in a Boro shirt with the likes of Mark Viduka, George Boeteng, Massimo Maccarone, Paul Merson and a host of heroes.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Just had an official letter regarding my season ticket. It says it will either be refunded or an "e-voucher" issued for future use and i'll be emailed the details soon.

I wonder how that'll work regards future season tickets? As in if i take the refund do i effectively "lose" my seat?

I am assuming if you want to keep your slot you have to use the e-voucher which i guess would make sense although when will that be i wonder?!

I wouldn't have thought so, but I can't say for sure. We might get some sort of incentive to take the voucher and use it on next season's ticket possibly, but its good to know we will be reimbursed for the games, and we will know where we are when we get our e-mails from those who are working at the ticket office. 

I guess this may indicate that we won't be getting access to the games on television though? 

• Like 1

Could be a rod for their own back, low numbers now plays in to a spike when the games start

6 in round 1 of testing, 2 in round 2, 4 in round 3...contact training starts and we see 15...games start we see 25...

obviously might not happen but low numbers now might not be doing them the favour they expect

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

I can only see this ending with another halting of the season.

Same. Let’s hope, if we do play games, we are out the bottom 3 cause it could easily go PPG.