Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

15 hours ago, Nabby said:

So looks like the 4 of us playing the game in hand then have to play another game a few days later against teams who have yet to play since the stoppage , will the extra match fitness help us or will fresher legs tell .

I think you will see alot of the better sides not playing as well as they were.  Its been a long time since anyone played. Im all for getting chelsea game out the way early

10 hours ago, av1 said:

Without looking at the table, I can't see anyone from 7th down to about 15th taking this restart very seriously at all, and as soon as the title/European places are determined I'd imagine everyone bar those in a relegation battle are going to pretty much down tools. 

We're going to see some incredibly strange results. 

I wouldn’t exclude Southampton or Newcastle from the relegation battle. 2-3 losses on the bounce and they could easily be hauled into it. Both were slow to get going this season, Bruce teams at Villa were slow at season start. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Should we have received some communication about this ?

We have. Check your spam box.

I am finding very hard to switch to thinking about football mode.

Personally I have very little interest trying to watch a Villa match on my laptop at home on my own at a empty football stadium after over 30,000 deaths due to a pandemic.

But I am sure Sky will do their very best. Unbelievable Jeff. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Should we have received some communication about this ?

This was the email I got:

Aston Villa can confirm supporters will be reimbursed for our six remaining home matches in anticipation of the current Covid-19 pandemic forcing the 2019/20 season to finish behind closed doors.

Supporters who have been impacted will either be provided with a refund, an e-voucher which can be used against future purchases or make a donation to the Aston Villa Foundation.

Season Ticket holders will receive a refund or an e-voucher for the six matches while supporters who purchased individual match tickets will also receive a refund.

Email communications will be sent out to supporters, including Claret and Club members, detailing further information and a set of accompanying FAQs. Supporters are kindly asked to ensure that the email address on their account is up-to-date and accessible. This can be checked by logging in to the online account.

Hospitality guests who are members or have purchased individual match packages will also be refunded or provided with an e-voucher. Hospitality staff will be contacting the latter with further details while communications will also be sent out to members.

Please be aware that there are very limited staff available to answer calls to the ticket office so supporters are advised to wait for the email communications and FAQs before contacting the club with any queries.

Thank you for your support.

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I wouldn’t exclude Southampton or Newcastle from the relegation battle. 2-3 losses on the bounce and they could easily be hauled into it. Both were slow to get going this season, Bruce teams at Villa were slow at season start. 

I think one win from their nine games makes Newcastle safe, Southampton might need four points. 2-3 losses on the bounce won't do it - they'd need 6-7 losses on the bounce to feel any pressure.

If we take PPG as an indicator, eight losses and a draw will be enough to keep Newcastle up.

If it does start and even finishes it will be between Brighton and the teams below.

Will be enough upsets and strange results for Southampton and Newcastle to pick the points they need. 

Seen it suggested that teams who uses high pressing and intensity might struggle due to fitness reasons and that teams that sit back and defend deep might have an edge.

We kinda do defend deep and don't rely on a lot of possession, but that's not by choice so not sure how it effects us.

My Starting 11 & bench for Sheffield Utd, not sure how many players they’ll allow on bench having increased allowance to 5 subs during a match;

.............................Nyland..........................

Guilbert.........Engels.....Mings......Targett

..........................Nakamba.........................

........McGinn.........Luiz.......Grealish..........

....................Samatta.......Davis..................

Bench; Reina, Vassilev, Ramsey, Konsa, Elmo,  Hause, Drinkwater, ElGhazi, Hourihane.

• Like 2

I've been tracking the Bundesliga and I was surprised that the pattern of results is broadly in line with Pre-COVID. I think I, like many people, expected a tonne of silly results, teams mid-table only half turning up etc. But I don't see that tbh,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Djemba_Villan said:

I've been tracking the Bundesliga and I was surprised that the pattern of results is broadly in line with Pre-COVID. I think I, like many people, expected a tonne of silly results, teams mid-table only half turning up etc. But I don't see that tbh,

Apart from the only 5 out of 27 games ending with home wins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Typical... Guess we can hope for the teams in the middle switching off towards the end and that we won't.

Average opponent position

Liverpool 10.6

Man City 12.1

Leicester 11.3

Chelsea 11

Man Utd 12.3

Wolves 11.8

Sheff Utd 9.4

Tottenham 10.4

Arsenal 10.5

Burnley 10.6

Palace 8.2

Everton 10.7

Newcastle 11.4

Southampton 11.7

Brighton 8.6

West Ham 11.3

Watford 10.1

Bournemouth 8.2

Villa 8.4

Norwich 11

Edit: For the remaining games.

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Wow just wow.  What absolute scum. Hope someone reports this to the police.

20200529_102315.jpg

Absolute bell end but perhaps not the right thread?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, av1 said:

Without looking at the table, I can't see anyone from 7th down to about 15th taking this restart very seriously at all, and as soon as the title/European places are determined I'd imagine everyone bar those in a relegation battle are going to pretty much down tools. 

We're going to see some incredibly strange results. 

liverpool will be an interesting one once they won the league, which they should have done by the time they play us

if bundesliga is any indication you are right. they're lower scoring than usual too. some 0-0s between teams that are normally high scoring

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think one win from their nine games makes Newcastle safe, Southampton might need four points. 2-3 losses on the bounce won't do it - they'd need 6-7 losses on the bounce to feel any pressure.

If we take PPG as an indicator, eight losses and a draw will be enough to keep Newcastle up.

Newcastle are shocking to watch and lowest in so many stats but yeah they look pretty safe as they don't concede to many and get a lot of draws.Our issue is we try and play an expansive game and get taken apart.I can't recall many games this season where we haven't conceded a high amount of chances , in fact taking games where we played 10 men even then the opposition had chances and in Watfords case scored.As a defensive unit we are a shambles all over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Apart from the only 5 out of 27 games ending with home wins.

Exactly this. I heard Uwe Rosler talking on the radio this morning, basically saying that the home advantage is almost completely wiped out. I still maintain that no team should be relegated under the restart proposals. We’re losing an advantage in 60% of our remaining games that the opposition has already enjoyed. 

• Like 3

Although losing home advantage isn't great, it works both ways so may indeed help with our poor away form. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Although losing home advantage isn't great, it works both ways so may indeed help with our poor away form. 

Yeah if we had equal number of home games to away games but we don’t.  Relegation could go down to one point or even goal difference so losing a slight advantage anywhere is a big loss.