Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Which game week was it we should have played Sheffield and have a game in hand from, was it round 28?

If so is that week cancelled when counting PPG because it's unfinished? If it is then both Watford and West Ham lose 3 points and we pass them both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I suggested on Wednesday in this thread that option, thinking it would get us our of trouble and then later also did the math and posted it and yes it would make no difference in that we would be relegated

Below was the table i did.  Total is PPG based on total table, PPG H&A is points if weighted based on Home and Away points so far this season.  We gain an extra point, which still sees us relegated

villa H&A.JPG

Edited Wednesday at 12:52 by nick76

What's most depressing about this is that we all recognise it's one of the fairest ways to end things - based on merit. (not saying it's entirely fair though!)

Edited by Jareth

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Haven't tried working it out myself but seen it suggested on twitter that if the premier league table was worked out using the same formula then us, Norwich and West Ham would be relegated. Just hoping that because there's that much more of a financial catastrophe for dropping from the premier league that they decide it would be unfair to use that system to relegate teams in the top division, and just use it to determine European places and league title, should it come to that.

No way 'the South' are going to let West Ham be relegated based on that system though are they.....too many powerful influencers to let a London team be relegated especially the crafty cockneys.  No surely to be fair to the Londoners that 8.56 points above for West Ham and 8.74 for Watford and Bmouth will be rounded to the nearest number i.e. 9 points and thus West Ham are safe and Bmouth go down.  Obviously that is the fair way to do it..........cant have a London team, a media favourite, bobby moore and all that, blowing bubbles.....relegated.....never.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

Ending the season like this isn't fair at all, a table should be based on the whole season with eveyone playing each other twice home and away, this time last year after 37 games in the championship we were eighth for example, and wouldn't have even qualified for the play-offs, and Sheffield United wouldn't have finished in the top two, so the table with almost a quarter of the season still to go doesn't give a fair reflection of how it might finish. Also if you go back ten years six sides that have been in the relegation places after 29 games in the premier league have then gone on to survive, which might not sound like a lot, but when you consider that in that time 30 teams will have been relegated then it's still means that one in five teams survive after being in the bottom three at this stage of the season, and that doesn't even take into consideration our game in hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

What's most depressing about this is that we all recognise it's one of the fairest ways to end things - based on merit. (not saying it's entirely fair though!)

I dont recognise it that way and given the likes when I've argued against it in my previous points I'm guessing quite a few on here agree. 

We have played a game less than the other teams, we and them have played weighted fixtures, not just home and away but also in abilities in the teams, and the fact that teams go on runs and the end of the season always has massive changes to positions in the leagues because it becomes more serious.........then no it is one of the least fairest ways to end things and not close to be a fair.  Yes I maybe biased but across the league and championship, it's one of the silliest ways of finishing the league especially with quarter of the season to go. The champions league spot for example that maybe the only chance Sheff Utd will ever have of getting that spot will be denied.  If they beat us with a game in hand then they are only 2 points off Chelsea....never say never (remember Leicester won the league).  The final European place is open, the relegation places, the Championship promotion and the finally the Championship play offs.  Points per game is virtually just finalising the season as it is, completely arbitrary and with 200m per team impact. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Kyle Walker caught breaking the lockdown rules again. If one of the reasons to finish the league is to keep players isolated then they have no chance

I read it and thinking well I bet the person writing the article is doing the same thing. It’s no big deal, it’s going on all over the country 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Kyle Walker caught breaking the lockdown rules again. If one of the reasons to finish the league is to keep players isolated then they have no chance

Imagine that won't sit well with a perfectionist like Guardiola.

Time to ship him off to Newcastle for £50m

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No way 'the South' are going to let West Ham be relegated based on that system though are they.....too many powerful influencers to let a London team be relegated especially the crafty cockneys.  No surely to be fair to the Londoners that 8.56 points above for West Ham and 8.74 for Watford and Bmouth will be rounded to the nearest number i.e. 9 points and thus West Ham are safe and Bmouth go down.  Obviously that is the fair way to do it..........cant have a London team, a media favourite, bobby moore and all that, blowing bubbles.....relegated.....never.

That was exactly my thoughts going to the play off final v Fulham.

Apparently according to that Telegraph article the other premier league clubs are against expanding the premier league because it would mean having to share the TV money with more teams. Couldn't they just put the financial burden of supporting the extra teams on those that vote for an expansion, in other words if twelve teams vote against expansion then they get what they'd normally get, and the other eight teams share their collective share of the rest of the money with the extra three teams that come up, if that makes sense.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Imagine that won't sit well with a perfectionist like Guardiola.

Time to ship him off to Newcastle for £50m

Great professional excuses from Walker helped by PR obviously, coming to the end of the lockdown it wont be treated as bad as it is. "I hugged my sister what am I supposed to do push her away". He's claiming it's right, let's hope we have all not acted in the same way, extremely selfish.

I wonder if relegation will be reduced to 2 clubs if games can’t be played.

It will make the vote easier to pass the 14 clubs needed.

The championship has 2 teams way ahead of the rest.It is easy to say they deserve promotion.

How are they going to settle who the 3rd club promoted as there is no clear candidate.Play offs etc seems too complicated in current circumstances.

Maybe as sweetener they give relegated clubs higher parachute payments that would have gone to third club.

Edited by Only2McInallys

1 hour ago, rbcuk said:

Exactly I’ve got sky which I already pay for and got a season ticket, I’d want my money back on the games I’m gonna miss on my season ticket if this season did finish

I'd want both - I'd want some sort of refund or credit on not being able to get my original product, and I'd also want access to the substitute product provided.

The Premier league has consulted at length with all of the interested parties - that's them and the TV companies - that no one within that group cares about fans, players or club staff shouldn't come as a surprise, but it's as clear as they've ever made it that we don't matter.

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I suggested on Wednesday in this thread that option, thinking it would get us our of trouble and then later also did the math and posted it and yes it would make no difference in that we would be relegated

Below was the table i did.  Total is PPG based on total table, PPG H&A is points if weighted based on Home and Away points so far this season.  We gain an extra point, which still sees us relegated

villa H&A.JPG

Edited Wednesday at 12:52 by nick76

That was some very informative work, thanks again for taking the time to do it.

I guess in the same way that if we were to win our game in hand against Sheffield, we would move out of the relegation places, it would also impact on where we might end up in the table above. It therefore really isn't fair to base anything on a table, where clubs hadn't played the same number of games, but sadly "fair" doesn't come into it. 😕

• Like 1

If Villa park is being considered as a neutral ground and we have an extra game to play to even up the games in the league, i think i spot a way!

I think i've come to realise that one way or another we are going down due to the dodgy  PL bosses. Rather appease the few greedy top clubs who are unwilling even to take a little cut in money by expanding the League, even though it makes the whole thing a farce, than come to a sensible conclusion which keeps all the other teams including ones who'd get promoted happy. Yet we are expected to take a 200m whack & lump it despite it being a farce.

Sounds about right.

Our objectives should be to finish the season as a normal season, but only if it can be done through fair a competition. It's difficult to see how.

If the season can't be finished that way, but they still would like to complete it just to get the money, then we should accept only as long as we're not in danger of going down.

If that's not possible, we should at the very least make sure that those clubs that do go down have more than just the normal parachute payments. Which means those that actually go down should have full PL money for 2020/21 and parachute payments to kick in from 2021/22 should they still be in the Championship. 

This is a farce. I'm quite sure that the TV companies will be quite happy for the league not to resume, because it saves them a lot of money. Which means they will put unrealistic demands on the PL, which in turn is desperate to get that cash and will try everything they can to actually meet those demands, regardless of what. 

We should be able to get something out of the situation regardless I think. I think a financial package that will give the relegated teams a huge advantage in the Championship 2020/21 is the least that needs to be on the table for the bottom clubs to even consider to play. The PPG and relegation is of course something they can scare the bottom clubs with, but it's not a credible threath as it also means that the season is voided and £1b is lost. 

I still think it will be voided, it may be the option getting least air time but it still stands as the most viable.

Void the season and reset for next season with an ‘as-you-were’ arrangement on who’s in what division and who’s in Europe etc.

• Like 1

The top clubs already get a bigger share of TV money from the new distribution deal , just how much would they lose with 2/3 extra teams ?

Frankly those clubs can **** off with the bottom 6 are only thinking of themselves bollox. They campaigned to get more TV cash as ''people pay to see us not the other teams'' and would gladly **** off to a European super league if it paid them more.

• Like 2

So there is a probability that we could be relegated because we have a game in hand.

A game in hand because we treated the league cup seriously even though it makes no real money but we did it for the glory . £100k for the winner. No really.

If we end up getting relegated because of that then you should never even bother with the cups just play your U23 side as the  top teams win it 9 out of 10 times anyway nowadays. Just bow your heads to the big boys and pick up your hundreds of millions of pounds and try to come mid table at best.

The romance is well and truly dead in football but hey we knew that anyway.

• Like 2