Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Spanish league approved

5 subs 

25 man match day squad 

2 water breaks  per match 

So IMO with 5 subs teams who have little to play for will make those 5 subs per game , so changing 50% of outfield players per game and likely to inc kids ...

30 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So there is a probability that we could be relegated because we have a game in hand.

A game in hand because we treated the league cup seriously even though it makes no real money but we did it for the glory . £100k for the winner. No really.

If we end up getting relegated because of that then you should never even bother with the cups just play your U23 side as the  top teams win it 9 out of 10 times anyway nowadays. Just bow your heads to the big boys and pick up your hundreds of millions of pounds and try to come mid table at best.

The romance is well and truly dead in football but hey we knew that anyway.

You seem to be assuming we would have beaten Sheffield United which seems a big assumption to me!  

FIFA have agreed to temporary rule changes for if/when football resumes...

- Teams will be allowed up to five substitutions
- Only three 'in-game' opportunities to make subs, to avoid extra time-wasting
- VAR can be removed IF the league wants to

via @skysports_bryan

This is becoming a joke, the rules keep changing from what everyone had at the start

Edited by rbcuk

Just now, rbcuk said:

FIFA have agreed to temporary rule changes for if/when football resumes...

- Teams will be allowed up to five substitutions
- Only three 'in-game' opportunities to make subs, to avoid extra time-wasting
- VAR can be removed IF the league wants to

via @skysports_bryan

This is becoming a joke, the rules keep changing from what everyone had at the start

This is perhaps a bit far fetched but what could happen

You lose a game as from a goal scored from a 5th sub which should of been disallowed but wasn't because of no VAR in a game taking play BCD at Neutral venue 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So there is a probability that we could be relegated because we have a game in hand.

That’s one way of looking at it but perhaps if we had put the same effort into the recent league games as we did the cup games we wouldn’t be in this position.. The difference in the effort shown at the king power between the cup and league games was massive. 

If we go down it's because we have not been good enough, especially defensively.

There will be if's and but's and stuff that is unfair but we simply have not been good enough.

We deserve to be where we are in the table IMO. That doesn't mean it is a foregone conclusion that we would have been relegated had the season went on or if the season does go on.

• Like 2

It shouldn't matter where we are in the table now, the only thing that should matter is the table after 38 games, this time last year we were eighth in the championship. It's not even accurate to say that we haven't been good enough to avoid relegation up until now, considering we've played a game less than everyone else

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Spanish league approved

25 man match day squad 

The key one for me will be if this is a 25 day match day squad you can select for each game. For me, teams should be required to submit a maximum of 25 players that will be considered to finish the entire season - that stops Liverpool having one 25 man squad for the first game and then a complete different 25 players for the games after they've taken the title.

Forcing teams to play a strong side will be a massive issue.

1 hour ago, Liam100 said:

You seem to be assuming we would have beaten Sheffield United which seems a big assumption to me!  

I assumed that we lost to Sheffield United last season as we were 3 nil down with 10 minutes to go.

Don't assume anything in football.

That why we love it.

• Like 2

Stuff like that happens in normal seasons anyway, teams that are in later stages of CL/europa usually put out weak teams if they've not got much to play for in league and sometimes against teams fighting relegation.

Klopp would argue his youth team was still good enough to beat a full strength Everton team in the cup.

If the season was to play out then I'd be looking at games we must win as Palace, Newcastle and probably Sheffield United to give a decent chance of staying up. Mind you every day that goes on I now care less about all that.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Stuff like that happens in normal seasons anyway, teams that are in later stages of CL/europa usually put out weak teams if they've not got much to play for in league and sometimes against teams fighting relegation.

Klopp would argue his youth team was still good enough to beat a full strength Everton team in the cup.

If the season was to play out then I'd be looking at games we must win as Palace, Newcastle and probably Sheffield United to give a decent chance of staying up. Mind you every day that goes on I now care less about all that.

They are allowed changes but not completely changing the team , under normal league circumstances Klopp can argue all he wants about how good the under 23 but if they are not in his current 25 man squad they would be fined for playing them - though as the fines are pitiful they may just pay them.

I would argue given Liverpool should have the title by time we play them , then playing a weakened , unmotivated Liverpool team not at Anfield is absolutely a must win game 

I think we'll need to start winning games as early as possible, as I wouldn't be surprised if the season gets restarted but then ends up having to be cancelled again, if that happens we need to make sure that we're outside the bottom three at that point. Even if the season resumes and we manage to play all the games, still need to get off to a good start, otherwise it will just feel as though we're carrying on from where we left off and all confidence will be gone. I'm hoping all this talk that presumes we're down without the season being null and voided inspires our players  to prove everyone wrong.

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

5 subs, again is only a rule change that suits the top sides with the bigger squads. 

The changes and proposals are geared towards protecting the elite squads. Small squads will not be able to cope with the proposed small timeframe of games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

That was some very informative work, thanks again for taking the time to do it.

I guess in the same way that if we were to win our game in hand against Sheffield, we would move out of the relegation places, it would also impact on where we might end up in the table above. It therefore really isn't fair to base anything on a table, where clubs hadn't played the same number of games, but sadly "fair" doesn't come into it. 😕

Yep completely agree. 

Any way of doing it is completely unfair....either solutions on PPG total or H&A.....or taking off the last game of our rivals so we are all 28 games......but then if you take off the results of our rivals when we were supposed to play Sheff Utd, they won those games thus taking that game off our rivals means we are safe..........ahhh but leveling games is fair they say and ppg should then be based on that.....yeah but if we hadnt had played Leicester for our last game for whatever reason, even if the schedules was slightly different and we had played Palace at Home (who we still have to play) and we had won, we would've been out of the relegation zone still with a game in hand. 

It was just schedule that we had Leicester that day and not Palace at home....weighting of games is so important from home advantage to the team/quality you have played so far so ppg is an awful solution.  Even if we had got a draw against Palace and then used ppg H&A for the remaining games we would now be safe from relegation, that's how fine line this £200m decision is.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam100 said:

it's not the point, we had the opportunity against Sheff Utd and who knows in the PL around results in one off games.