Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

It was inevitable there would be a second-wave, we are seeing that now in Germany and Italy if this is now true about Fiorentina.

If we in the UK relax measures too soon the same will happen, science and the government need to make the call and take the decision away from the PL.

Problem is the government's donors and rich businesses are pushing them to ease lockdown, but this doesn't automatically mean football should start.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 3

It does feel as though they are going to do this - and whatever happens they will proceed. Those who can't play or don't want to play won't - and the rest will carry on. It'll be crap football I'd have thought initially, but maybe it won't - I can see quite a few unexpected results in normal times - maybe it'll be fun. 

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're missing the point.

Anyway, on a serious note. I'm seeing people report that 

A. Some people are being diagnosed/written off purely on "symptoms" which are shared with a multitude of other conditions.

B. Institutions actually have monetary encouragements for reporting Covid - 19 deaths/diagnoses.

C. Some healthcare workers have confirmed this.

D. No point in me going down the conspiracy wormhole on here, as I'm on the fence, AND it's the wrong forum.

I'm not saying I'm sold on anything one way or another but I do feel there is something dodgy afoot.

I've seen some stories where family members were actually forced to accept Covid - 19 as cause of death for their loved ones. 🤷🏾‍♂️

If you want to switch this into me thinking "deaths are funny" that's your perogative as I'm sure most normal people will realise that's not my angle at all.

At the the peak week for deaths in England and Wales on the week ending April 17th, more than double the amount of people died than the 5 year average. More than double.

You can be a COVID-19 conspiracy theorist all you want, but you can't ignore all the extra people who are dying on top of the average, and it's an absolutely staggering amount.

I still think playing football in the next couple of months is ludicrous given how deadly and widespread this virus has been, and could continue to be. I don't even think it's a good idea for Australia to recommence sport, and we've had a better time with the virus than most. It's hit the UK like a sledgehammer.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, useless said:

And this is the whole point for me. Quite frankly personally i don't actually mind overly which division we end up in. Obviously it would be good for the club financially and, if they really do harbor lofty ambitions, it would of course be a big thing not to go down this year.....but. Surely the main thing here, amidst a global pandemic, is to stop a second wave?

Already you can feel & see that people are ready to just jump straight back in to their "normal". It's almost like they are already forgetting the dead & the risk a second wave poses. I saw it today on the roads, so much busier than last Thursday. This is what's happened caused by just the mention of a slight relaxing of the lock-down & rumours of some outlets re-opening.

Now just imagine what will happen if the Premier League start playing again!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

On 06/05/2020 at 21:54, gurru991 said:

For me playing out the season without a relegation battle is like a massage without a happy ending. Just a waste of time !!!

Playing out the season with the proposed format is just a sham. It's purely a mechanism to obtain TV money and bears zero relationship to the season which has preceeded the lockdown.  Teams signed up to play a season of 40 games played home and away.  We're playing 1/4 of it in a series of consecutive games days apart in empty neutral stadiums.   A bunch of higher/mid table teams playing half heartedly rolling over with weakened squads with completely erratic performances left right and centre which could leave the eventual losers in financial catastrophe. 

The competition we were all part of has finished and is not restarting. We're just trying to grab the cash.  If I were the TV companies I would refuse to pay for what's about to be served up as a competive spectacle. 

I agree the whole thing is a waste of time but lack of relegation is the smallest part of that farce. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, John said:

Agreed. The parachute payments were originally made to give promoted teams a chance to complete in the PL, without putting them in financial jeopardy to do so. Removing it, would in my opinion, be removing the drawbridge and it would lead to even more promoted teams, going back down after just one season. 

I think we're already there to be honest.  Let's face it Norwich took the decision to not compete and take the money.  If we hadn't had to spend so much money to stand still we would be miles away from them and they would be rock bottom.

I think we'll see more of this in future.  Promoted teams not gambling with the existence of the club by spending silly amounts but take the cash instead. With parachute money you're laughing for 4 years aren't you. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The problem there is you've read a newspaper article, probably from a "source" or an "insider" that this big blown out of proportion incident has happened at BMH, they've exaggerated it as far as they can in order to make it "news" 

You've then read another comment from Smith who maybe / probably has done something internally and then under sold it to the media in order to downplay the incident to keep it out of the news 

Because then you have an agenda against Smith you've decided to use it as another stick to beat him with (and let's face it everyone will use it as a stick to beat Drinkwater with cos none of us like him)

In reality you know nothing 

900?cb=20170107042949

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John said:

I said earlier, that I think that's the PLs plan. If the bottom three make things difficult for their Project Restart plans, then they will threaten to close the season, in whatever way they choose that will see the current bottom three relegated. I really don't think that the rest of the bottom six, would vote against that. It's sadly all about playing the games and getting the television cash in for the PL, the players are their main concern now (not their safety but their ability to scupper their precious plan).

So you think they will squander £750m in order to spite the people who have not gone with the plan? It will be a question of who blinks first and when they see the cash slipping away they will cave in and take the cash for no relegation. 

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Add them to the list... 

Not sure how we've managed to do it, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle fans always on our social media

Its a good job Coventry is stuck in the dark ages 

One of my directors at work is a Coventry fan (but now like most of them spends most of his time at his childhood favourite rugby club Wasps) 

I once had a 20 minute argument where I was basically saying we don't even think about you or give a shit what you think about us and he was replying over and over again "yes you do" 

He's a very very intelligent and articulate man, but just wouldn't accept that we were anything but obsessed with them. I can only assume earlier in his life he's met a Villa fan who delighted in winding him up. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

What is the expectation if a player or players test positive as and when the PL restarts. Will it just be treated like an injury and the player is out for a few weeks, or is that team no longer able to play matches?

11 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think if the season goes ahead BCD and on neutral venues then it isnt the same competition that was entered into and therefore the sanctions for finishing at he bottom of the table, or the rewards for finishing top of the table are null and void.

Personally I think the season should conclude BCD and on neutral venues but promotion and relegation scrapped. However as a compromise I think there should be some sort or reward/ punishment in the guise of a points award/ deduction for the 2020/21 season for the bottom 5 prem teams and top 5 champ teams. i.e whoever finishes 20th in prem starts on -5 pts, 19th on -4 pts, 18th on -3 pts etc. in 2020/21. Likewise, whoever finishes top of championship starts with 5 pts, 2nd starts with 4 pts, 3rd, 3 pts etc.

Please make this happen. 

Leeds will have 44 games to squander their lead 😁😁😁

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What is the expectation if a player or players test positive as and when the PL restarts. Will it just be treated like an injury and the player is out for a few weeks, or is that team no longer able to play matches?

That's what the magic sponge is for.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

A lot of talk always alludes to six clubs fighting against relegation. I have to contest this assertion, you can comfortably go up to Newcastle at least as clubs of that are still in the relegation mix. In 3 or 4 ties those in and around 10th/11th place could be down in the relegation places. And that’s not inconceivable. 

Every single season, even a normal one where teams play home and away in full stadiums. Where the competition is ongoing with no break and no completely alien circumstances, someone unexpected drops into the relegation zone in the last quarter of the season. 

With the highly unusual situation about to unfold with teams in neutral empty stadiums after no play for months and no training for months I can see some massive changes occurring. I wouldn't be enormously surprised if the bottom 3 in the end contains completely different teams.  There is going to be erratic chaos ahead in the completely unnatural season finale. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

I'm completely certain the Premier League will be up and running again next month. The entire thing is quite frankly a farce but with the amount of money surrounding English football I'm not surprised.