Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we'll need to start winning games as early as possible, as I wouldn't be surprised if the season gets restarted but then ends up having to be cancelled again

Winning games would be good i agree.

23 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Stuff like that happens in normal seasons anyway, teams that are in later stages of CL/europa usually put out weak teams if they've not got much to play for in league and sometimes against teams fighting relegation.

The difference here though is that there's usually a break after the end of those seasons anyway. In this case, there will be maybe a fortnight before the new season starts, possibly less.

The temptation for Liverpool to win the league in the first four days of the restart then take the first team away to start preparing for next season will be huge - and indeed from their perspective, it would be the right thing to do. There will need to be some sort of measure in place to stop it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

If we go down it's because we have not been good enough, especially defensively.

There will be if's and but's and stuff that is unfair but we simply have not been good enough.

We deserve to be where we are in the table IMO. That doesn't mean it is a foregone conclusion that we would have been relegated had the season went on or if the season does go on.

Again I refer back to Watford, look at that table below.  Re your comment why do they deserve to be safe more than us.  Again we have been higher in the league than them most of the season, we have been outside the bottom three over 50% of the time and we have had a game in hand for a long time, yet you believe we deserve to be in the table where we are.  We are a snapshot within a season and we can be relegated because of that.

watford.JPG

If relegation was taken out of the equation I think there's a fair chance that for some games we'd might have Barry on the bench, and maybe a couple of the other academy players that we're trying to convince to sign contracts with us.

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Again I refer back to Watford, look at that table below.  Re your comment why do they deserve to be safe more than us.  Again we have been higher in the league than them most of the season, we have been outside the bottom three over 50% of the time and we have had a game in hand for a long time, yet you believe we deserve to be in the table where we are.  We are a snapshot within a season and we can be relegated because of that.

watford.JPG

But they changed their manager. They look better defensively now, more organized.

We've been bad defensively all season and i can't see it changing.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

watford.JPG

I don't give flying f about Watford tbh, not watched then enough to have an opinion, they might be even more deserving than us to go down for all I know. Newcastle is by far the worst team I've seen this season and they are still safe with some margin.

I've watched us be not good enough far too many times this season to claim we deserve to not be in the relegation spots. Feel free do disagree if you like.

Whatever they decide to do it will be unfair to someone because the season is over on May 17th. After that it's made up rules and a totally different ball game.

If's and but's 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But they changed their manager. They look better defensively now, more organized.

We've been bad defensively all season and i can't see it changing.

They started well under him, new manager bounce And all that but look at their last 7 games and results...doesn’t agree with your assessment.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

They started well under him, new manager bounce And all that but look at their last 7 games and results...doesn’t agree with your assessment.

But i bet they didn't lose heavy like we've been doing.

Fact of the matter is they've improved a lot under him which is why they are 17th

36 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't give flying f about Watford tbh, not watched then enough to have an opinion, they might be even more deserving than us to go down for all I know. Newcastle is by far the worst team I've seen this season and they are still safe with some margin.

I've watched us be not good enough far too many times this season to claim we deserve to not be in the relegation spots. Feel free do disagree if you like.

Whatever they decide to do it will be unfair to someone because the season is over on May 17th. After that it's made up rules and a totally different ball game.

If's and but's 

Yeah but aim all season was survival, 17th, that suggests we are going to be bad a lot.  I have been watching a lot of the football from other clubs and while we have been awful they also been the same, and out of the six teams down there I honestly think we aren’t one of the bottom three.  

Yes the last few games before lockdown my feelings was starting to fade badly on that but with Samatta settling and McGinn coming back I was hopeful.  Just conceding so easily was our main problem.

47 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The difference here though is that there's usually a break after the end of those seasons anyway. In this case, there will be maybe a fortnight before the new season starts, possibly less.

The temptation for Liverpool to win the league in the first four days of the restart then take the first team away to start preparing for next season will be huge - and indeed from their perspective, it would be the right thing to do. There will need to be some sort of measure in place to stop it.

I'd be amazed if with the title won we see Allison , VVD , Salah and Henderson starting many games to start with , which is why if season restarts we absolutely have to aim for 3 points against them.

As for preparing for next season I have seen some of the French teams have started this or plan to in the next few weeks  so I totally agree teams with nothing to play for will have an eye on this.City are the interesting one , has their been any further announcements on their appeal for champs league as at moment getting 5th will be champs league which gives some games more value ,if that's taken away will see less motivation for teams around that part of the table.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fact of the matter is they've improved a lot under him which is why they are 17th

We’ve had a few big loses like Man City and Leicester but the others are close score wise. I’ve just double checked and that is right this calendar year.

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

4 defeats in the last 6 suggests otherwise

edit: in fact our record in the last six games is the same....yet they have improved a lot and we haven’t been good enough according to you 🤔

Edited by nick76

Just now, nick76 said:

4 defeats in the last 6 suggests otherwise

Really must be hard for you to give Pearson any sort of credit for the marvelous job he's done.

Brutally ruthless Watford owners has payed off.

Yeah but aim all season was survival, 17th, that suggests we are going to be bad a lot.  I have been watching a lot of the football from other clubs and while we have been awful they also been the same, and out of the six teams down there I honestly think we aren’t one of the bottom three.  

Yes the last few games before lockdown my feelings was starting to fade badly on that but with Samatta settling and McGinn coming back I was hopeful.  Just conceding so easily was our main problem.

Think there are 6-7 teams who can't really have any complains should they have been relegated, we are one of them, fine margins and what not.

I feel Newcastle are extremely lucky to be where they are in the table and that Brighton might be a bit unlucky to not be higher up.

As for us, being the worst team in the league when it comes to defending it makes it hard to finish anywhere except right near the bottom. 

If we end up relegated now, regardless of if they force a finish to the season, cancel it or draw numbers out of a hat I fully expect and demand us to kick up a fuss, protest and sue because it will be unfair and against the original rules.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Really must be hard for you to give Pearson any sort of credit for the marvelous job he's done.

Brutally ruthless Watford owners has payed off.

They have the same record as us in the last six games but you don’t think much of Smith but Pearson has done a marvellous job.  

Seriously you can’t make this up! It’s friggin hysterical

They have the same record as us in the last six games but you don’t think much of Smith but Pearson has done a marvellous job.  

Seriously you can’t make this up! It’s friggin hysterical

Look at where they were in the table when he took over and look where they are now..

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Look at where they were in the table when he took over and look where they are now..

new manager boost then fell away then the last 6 games with the same record as us 1 win, 1 draw, 4 defeats.

i repeat.......same record as us yet Pearson marvellous, Smith failing.  

Trump economics!

Watford were always likely to improve, last season they were challenging with Wolves for seventh place, no one was expecting them to struggle this season. We're only two points behind them with a game in hand

Newcastle are awful but they got some luck (Chelsea win was daylight robbery ) but overall they are tight at the back and ground out draws , 2 things we are poor at 

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

new manager boost then fell away then the last 6 games with the same record as us 1 win, 1 draw, 4 defeats.

i repeat.......same record as us yet Pearson marvellous, Smith failing.  

Trump economics!

Sure. Let's not give the man any credit at all. Let's just explain it as new manager boost.

Seriously bro. You are so villa biased it's unbelievable. There's no point even trying to reason with you.

Let's just agree to disagree. I personally think he's done a great job dragging them out of the s**t they were in.

Edited by villalad21