Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

Probably been raised already but is there a danger some players may not want to even come back to football at all.

Im thinking more the ones who’ve earned substantial amounts already, perhaps over the last few months they’ve realised it’s not as important to them as family or even some other hobby they may have started during the lockdown.

21 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think if the season goes ahead BCD and on neutral venues then it isnt the same competition that was entered into and therefore the sanctions for finishing at he bottom of the table, or the rewards for finishing top of the table are null and void.

Personally I think the season should conclude BCD and on neutral venues but promotion and relegation scrapped. However as a compromise I think there should be some sort or reward/ punishment in the guise of a points award/ deduction for the 2020/21 season for the bottom 5 prem teams and top 5 champ teams. i.e whoever finishes 20th in prem starts on -5 pts, 19th on -4 pts, 18th on -3 pts etc. in 2020/21. Likewise, whoever finishes top of championship starts with 5 pts, 2nd starts with 4 pts, 3rd, 3 pts etc.

If they relegate us bournmouth and norwich without furfilling the season they shoukd give each three club a adavanthe of this next season.  Only fair. And the three that come ul should start on minus numbers as they have not earned promotion 

Article in Telegraph shows Home advantage isn't that important ..tweeted by a Liverpool based Journo and includes why Firminho would like Neutral venues in the headline ...absolutely no bias at all here 

I do hope I don't have to hear about how wonderful the Kop is , the 12 man and all that other stuff when evidently science proves its not 

I should just ignore the 71% of points at home against 29% away ..for Villas as clearly that's meaning less and also ignore the league rules of playing home and away .If you play team A away and their ground then have to play your home venue BCD and an Neutral venue this is now completely  fair and has zero baring on the outcome ..

Just now, Demitri_C said:

If they relegate us bournmouth and norwich without furfilling the season they shoukd give each three club a adavanthe of this next season.  Only fair. And the three that come ul should start on minus numbers as they have not earned promotion 

I hope they start 2020/21 as they start every other season. With everyone on 0 points. 

The fair thing to do is not to relegate, but they should perhaps give the parachute money to the clubs not promoted. Which means current top 2 gets 100% and 20% to each playoff team and distribute the last 20% between clubs competing for playoffs.

That would put the clubs competing for promotion in a much better position to achieve it next year.

But keep the competition fair. If another club is better than Leeds next season, even with their financial advantage, then that club should be promoted.

• Like 1

Never really had any opinion on Leeds, then end of last season I noticed loads of them giving Jack Grealish abuse on Twitter or Instagram.

I thought what a bunch of horrible, disgusting and intellectually challenged inbreds...haven't really given them much thought since 1996. Savo, Yorke, Taylor 3-0 😉

• Like 1

My brother and my uncle are Leeds fans

Deluded, shortest explanation is take everything villa have ever achieved, creating the football league, the cups, the 5th most successful club, the attendances, the overall points tally, 82, 96, literally everything and put it in the bin... Because they got to a champions league semi final 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

Well, relegation means loss of a lot of money which is somehow compensated through parachute payments. But it also means playing maybe a year without matchday income. 

But I don't think anyone is debating being relegated based on a normal season. It has more to do with being relegated without a fair chance of ensuring survival.

There are six clubs trying to avoid relegation, three of them will succeed, three of them won't. Those that won't will potentially lose £200m. What we see now is a snapshot where our season is 73.6% done while the teams around us have completed 76.3% of their season. We would be outside the relegation zone if we won our game in hand. 

Yes, we are Aston Villa and if we do go down based on finishing the season in a fair way, well that's how it is. 

But it doesn't mean that we shouldn't insist on a fair chance of avoiding relegation. We shouldn't accept to be forced to play what's left just because some top teams want their money. Giving away the huge advantage of having 6 home games and only 4 away. 

And we shouldn't accept to play if player and staff safety isn't met.

But it's not only that. It's more...how much effort will clubs with nothing to play for put in? How will their players cope with unimportant games played BCD during the summer?  What will happen if someone get Covid19? This will also affect those a bit higher up on the table as well. I mean the entire Southampton or Newcastle squad can get this and then they will have to finish the league with kids. Yes, they do have a gap between the relegation zone right now, but they could be back in a relegation fight after just two more rounds. If they're not mentally prepared for that or have to play with kids, then who knows what might happen. Then you have the obvious questions concerning safety and there is also a next season which is much more important.

For me this season is already ruined. There won't be a festival of football in June/July even if we avoid relegation. It will be a farce and one that will also do long term damage to the reputation of football. What will it look like if Kane, Kyle Walker, Van Dijk or Salah actually get Covid19 and die?

A lot of talk always alludes to six clubs fighting against relegation. I have to contest this assertion, you can comfortably go up to Newcastle at least as clubs of that are still in the relegation mix. In 3 or 4 ties those in and around 10th/11th place could be down in the relegation places. And that’s not inconceivable. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably been raised already but is there a danger some players may not want to even come back to football at all.

Im thinking more the ones who’ve earned substantial amounts already, perhaps over the last few months they’ve realised it’s not as important to them as family or even some other hobby they may have started during the lockdown.

I'll be honest, with all i've been reading and watching, from healthcare workers and Doctors (And yes, conspiracy theorists) I've now got my tinfoil hat on halfway regarding this "virus". Almost every death is being labeled as "Covid - 19". If you read the fine print on alot of those stories, you'll realise alot of those people were dying of other things already ffs!

• Like 1

Smashing the ball or for a throw in in an empty stadium might be a good time wasting opportunity. There's only so many ball boys and so many balls you can have. Keep whacking it into the far corner of the stands.

In no way should the PL be supposed to continue as normal if games are to be played behind closed doors and at neutral venues. There are so many differences to a normal game:

1) Player anxiety at catching the virus could lead to lower performance levels. Note: even if all are tested negative before a game, the risk of being hospitalised due to injury would still pose a risk of infection and affect performance. 

2) Playing at home against the supposed bigger teams is often an advantage. For example, Villa playing behind closed doors anywhere against Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal would pose an obvious disadvantage compared to Villa playing at home against them in front of a partisan Villa Park crowd. 

3) Nobody knows how players' fitness has been affected by the lockdown so the competition as a whole has already been compromised. 

For me, the season has changed too much from what it was at the beginning and a line should be drawn through it completely. I understand teams won't go down or win the league etc and that's why I would wait to start the next season properly and start that season with a handicap system showing the points differences from the cancelled season. That way, those who had a points advantage at the top will start the season with those leads over others and those at the bottom will start with that disadvantage to make up on. 

PS: I couldn't care less about Sky. 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Never really had any opinion on Leeds, then end of last season I noticed loads of them giving Jack Grealish abuse on Twitter or Instagram.

I thought what a bunch of horrible, disgusting and intellectually challenged inbreds...haven't really given them much thought since 1996. Savo, Yorke, Taylor 3-0 😉

I know a Leeds fan and your labelling of them being intellectually challenged really does suit him. For instance, he recently had an accident at work and "had to have 10 stickers in his head" and only recently he told me he's "on furlong from work for a minimum of the next 3 weeks". 

The very same guy, back in the 90s when they were playing a midweek Champions League game at Elland Road, got caught out at work for attending the game. He had previously asked for the day off work as holiday but was denied by management. He didn't go into work on the day he wanted off - the day of the game. The next day he was sat in the canteen having a coffee before work started and the manager (who'd refused him holiday) walked through the canteen. As he passed through he said "Morning Rich, did you enjoy the win last night?" Rich replied "Yes thanks, Tom". The manager then said "I take it you had a safe journey up there then?" to which Rich replied "Yes Tom, and got back safely too". 

As you can imagine, the exchange didn't go down well with management and Rich was out of the company within 6 months. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'll be honest, with all i've been reading and watching, from healthcare workers and Doctors (And yes, conspiracy theorists) I've now got my tinfoil hat on halfway regarding this "virus". Almost every death is being labeled as "Covid - 19". If you read the fine print on alot of those stories, you'll realise alot of those people were dying of other things already ffs!

So dying much earlier because of COVID-19 because people have underlying conditions that maybe terminal eventually or not is ok?  People with these diseases, their family members losing those people six months earlier than without COVID-19.  Imagine those members of your family or friends that have died down the years from cancer or other illnesses and imagine if they had been taken away earlier and how you would've felt.  Those are the extreme cases as well but what about people that are just older that cant fight the disease?

Edited by nick76

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So dying much earlier because of COVID-19 because people have underlying conditions that maybe terminal eventually or not is ok?  People with these diseases, their family members losing those people six months earlier than without COVID-19.  Imagine those members of your family or friends that have died down the years from cancer or other illnesses and imagine if they had been taken away earlier and how you would've felt.  Those are the extreme cases as well but what about people that are just older that cant fight the disease?

FB_IMG_1588850620923.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1588850620923.jpg

Oh deaths are funny now! I get it! Guess you havent known somebody whose died by this virus or just lack empathy for those who have died and whose families are suffering.

Words fail me.

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh deaths are funny now! I get it! Guess you havent known somebody whose died by this virus or just lack empathy for those who have died and whose families are suffering.

Words fail me.

You're missing the point.

Anyway, on a serious note. I'm seeing people report that 

A. Some people are being diagnosed/written off purely on "symptoms" which are shared with a multitude of other conditions.

B. Institutions actually have monetary encouragements for reporting Covid - 19 deaths/diagnoses.

C. Some healthcare workers have confirmed this.

D. No point in me going down the conspiracy wormhole on here, as I'm on the fence, AND it's the wrong forum.

I'm not saying I'm sold on anything one way or another but I do feel there is something dodgy afoot.

I've seen some stories where family members were actually forced to accept Covid - 19 as cause of death for their loved ones. 🤷🏾‍♂️

If you want to switch this into me thinking "deaths are funny" that's your perogative as I'm sure most normal people will realise that's not my angle at all.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

As far as I am concerned the season ends on May 17th, after that they can do whatever they like and justify it however they like.

Obviously I want us to remain in the PL but if they feel that we should be relegated then so be it.

Nothing they do or decide after May 17th will be fair, justified and so on. At best it will be the least bad out of some terrible options.

Risk lives to keep hold of TV-money, why not. Play games in empty stadiums with players who might not want to be there, perhaps even games that mean nothing as it will be without relegation just to fulfill a contract. Swell! I hope they get sued to high heaven if any player, staff or family gets sick.

We are relegated or not in a series where 1/4 of the games are played in a "festival of football" where the rules and circumstances are fundamentally different from any and all other seasons. It's a travesty.

Relegate teams by PPG or before the season is finished. Great, if they do I hope our owners or any other owner sues the living snot out of them and anyone else.

This season is over, it just is. I've cancelled my TV-subscription in March, I ain't gonna get a new one to watch this joke if they restart it.

They talk about the integrity of the game, these games, if they are played will have zero integrity. Deal with this extreme situation however they like but be prepared to be rightly sued by those who get the short end of the stick.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're missing the point.

Anyway, on a serious note. I'm seeing people report that 

A. Some people are being diagnosed/written off purely on "symptoms" which are shared with a multitude of other conditions.

B. Institutions actually have monetary encouragements for reporting Covid - 19 deaths/diagnoses.

C. Some healthcare workers have confirmed this.

D. No point in me going down the conspiracy wormhole on here, as I'm on the fence, AND it's the wrong forum.

I'm not saying I'm sold on anything one way or another but I do feel there is something dodgy afoot.

I've seen some stories where family members were actually forced to accept Covid - 19 as cause of death for their loved ones. 🤷🏾‍♂️

If you want to switch this into me thinking "deaths are funny" that's your perogative as I'm sure most normal people will realise that's not my angle at all.

Well your meme/picture seems to suggest you find this funny but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure most normal people would think the same as me.

The government have answered the question/point re your concerns above a couple of times of how they tally, and answered the concerns of what you are saying so hopefully you have seen that.  Obviously there will be rare cases of some of those things going through as there is always is when collating data so quickly over many sources but they are confident as they can be and went through each of those points.  Obviously conspiracy websites will find one or two cases and blow it out of proportion saying this is across the board but it doesnt seem to be that way.  

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1