Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

12 minutes ago, useless said:

Purslow quotes from Henry Winters' twitter, the actual interview is behind a paywall so don't know if he said any more...

"It (no relegation) is an idea out there. It was billed to me as, ‘This is a way that cuts through all the compromises that people will be asked to take.’ It’s serious, it’s been thought through & needs to be debated properly"...

"I don't think neutral venues are by any means the only issue that needs to be resolved that goes to the heart of ‘is this still a competition everybody signed up to’. But I remain of the view that we're going to complete this season. It's a question of when & how not if"...

"You’ll have players desperate to get back to work with the attitude of ‘I'll take my chances’ & players with circumstances where it won't be practical or comfortable. The single biggest challenge we've got is to get those protocols signed off by everybody in football"'...

“It's obvious with 500 footballers that we're going to have positive tests and that's going to impact on teams’ ability to field a full-strength team. There are a lot of teams mathematically capable of going down whose squads can’t survive 3 or 4 players falling ill,"...

Everything he says is very sensible

It has of course been chopped up and put in to sensationalist headlines that rival fans can easily shoot down and attribute to him doing anything he can not to get villa relegated 

• Like 1

Do fans of Newcastle, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Southampton and the likes even want the rest of the season to be played?

They only have things to lose potentially and they are dire to watch. Think a lot of them would gladly have the season to be over.

• Like 2

The AVFC tag on twitter is full of Leeds fans goading Villa fans because of that Daily Mail story and getting excited because it looks like the season is going to resume... You'd think they were twenty-five points ahead of Fulham the way they're going on, instead of just the seven points and still having to play Fulham, with their track record their best chance of promotion would probably be the season being called off, if season starts again they're more than capable of throwing it away.

Just had a look on waccoe... and they're still quoting posts from this thread on there... this post will probably get quoted as well... Double edit: It's already been quoted...

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The AVFC tag on twitter is full of Leeds fans goading Villa fans because of that Daily Mail story and getting excited because it looks like the season is going to resume... You'd think they were twenty-five points ahead of Fulham the way they're going on, instead of just the seven points and still having to play Fulham, with their track record their best chance of promotion would probably be the season being called off, if season starts again they're more than capable of throwing it away.

I remember Leeds, Tony Yeboah scored some cracking goals. What's they've been up to lately?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

That post had already been quoted on waccoe within five minutes of me posting it on here... type "villatalk"  into their search engine and you get over 100 results... For some reason they've become obssessed with VIlla and this website.

Buried at the bottom of that Daily Mail article:

Premier League chiefs fear that a split vote next week could leave them open to public criticism, especially if a player tests positive for coronavirus at a club who voted against the restart and they are lobbying the rebels in hope of securing a unanimous vote to avoid that.

This is micromanaging their PR. The FA and Premier League don't want lawsuits for corporate manslaughter or other negligance. This is just part of their ongoing PR campaign. It's all smoke and mirrors to deflect from their disgusting amoral desire to risk the lives of countless people to maintain their financial bubble.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

That post had already been quoted on waccoe within five minutes of me posting it on here... type "villatalk"  into their search engine and you get over 100 results... For some reason they've become obssessed with VIlla and this website.

Small club mentality. It's funny how they think we have some sort of rivalry with them.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Small club mentality. It's funny how they think we have some sort of rivalry with them.

Add them to the list... 

Not sure how we've managed to do it, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle fans always on our social media

Its a good job Coventry is stuck in the dark ages 

• Haha 2

Think Leeds will struggle if restart happens - they rely on high intensity fitness levels. I doubt they’ll be able to get up to pre-Covid levels

As a wider point, fitness is an interesting aspect upon restart. Will player fitness be levelled across teams and we’ll see more goals as everyone is generally less fit?

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Add them to the list... 

Not sure how we've managed to do it, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle fans always on our social media

Oh the Newcastle fans! Don't get me started on that lot! I can honestly say I've never once viewed any other club's social media hashtag because I really couldn't give a toss about anyone else but the Villa. It always amazes me how many fans of other clubs check our hashtag. Quite pathetic really.

Leeds commenting on us, I was suggesting in earlier posts that we should have a 22 club premier league.  Thought I was being nice allowing small clubs a chance at the big league but guess I was being overly generous if they have an inferiority complex and lash out with silly comments.

• Like 1

If restart doesn’t happen what do they do about relegation?

Will other clubs vote against us?

The more I think about it clubs like Brighton,Burnley etc won't want to agree to it because this could easily happen again in the future if virus reappears and it sets a precedent that may lead to them being relegated in the future.

The Football Association has the power to block any attempt by the Premier League to stop relegation this season, as the bottom six clubs lobby for that jeopardy to be waived in return for completing the fixtures at neutral grounds.

The game’s governing body is not expected to have to use its 'special share', incorporated the year before the Premier League was launched in 1992 – although it is an option. The FA chairman Greg Clarke will be part of the conference call when the 20 shareholders of the Premier League discuss their Project Restart plan on Monday.

The FA has been reluctant to interfere in the business of the Premier League as power has swung dramatically away from the governing body over the last 30 years and towards the game’s biggest and wealthiest clubs....

Telegraph... There's more but again it's behind a subsciption.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Pretty incredible. Looking like the Bundesliga really is getting back.

Based on that there is no reason to void anything anytime soon. Hope it goes well there.

I just want this season finished. If that means we'll get relegated we get relegated. We are Aston Villa and we don't hide, that's small club mentality. I don't want us to stay in the Premier League if we're not good enough to be here.

Well, relegation means loss of a lot of money which is somehow compensated through parachute payments. But it also means playing maybe a year without matchday income. 

But I don't think anyone is debating being relegated based on a normal season. It has more to do with being relegated without a fair chance of ensuring survival.

There are six clubs trying to avoid relegation, three of them will succeed, three of them won't. Those that won't will potentially lose £200m. What we see now is a snapshot where our season is 73.6% done while the teams around us have completed 76.3% of their season. We would be outside the relegation zone if we won our game in hand. 

Yes, we are Aston Villa and if we do go down based on finishing the season in a fair way, well that's how it is. 

But it doesn't mean that we shouldn't insist on a fair chance of avoiding relegation. We shouldn't accept to be forced to play what's left just because some top teams want their money. Giving away the huge advantage of having 6 home games and only 4 away. 

And we shouldn't accept to play if player and staff safety isn't met.

But it's not only that. It's more...how much effort will clubs with nothing to play for put in? How will their players cope with unimportant games played BCD during the summer?  What will happen if someone get Covid19? This will also affect those a bit higher up on the table as well. I mean the entire Southampton or Newcastle squad can get this and then they will have to finish the league with kids. Yes, they do have a gap between the relegation zone right now, but they could be back in a relegation fight after just two more rounds. If they're not mentally prepared for that or have to play with kids, then who knows what might happen. Then you have the obvious questions concerning safety and there is also a next season which is much more important.

For me this season is already ruined. There won't be a festival of football in June/July even if we avoid relegation. It will be a farce and one that will also do long term damage to the reputation of football. What will it look like if Kane, Kyle Walker, Van Dijk or Salah actually get Covid19 and die?

I think if the season goes ahead BCD and on neutral venues then it isnt the same competition that was entered into and therefore the sanctions for finishing at he bottom of the table, or the rewards for finishing top of the table are null and void.

Personally I think the season should conclude BCD and on neutral venues but promotion and relegation scrapped. However as a compromise I think there should be some sort or reward/ punishment in the guise of a points award/ deduction for the 2020/21 season for the bottom 5 prem teams and top 5 champ teams. i.e whoever finishes 20th in prem starts on -5 pts, 19th on -4 pts, 18th on -3 pts etc. in 2020/21. Likewise, whoever finishes top of championship starts with 5 pts, 2nd starts with 4 pts, 3rd, 3 pts etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Add them to the list... 

The sad thing is they are not. If we go down we might be playing them in the championship next season 

2 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I think if the season goes ahead BCD and on neutral venues then it isnt the same competition that was entered into and therefore the sanctions for finishing at he bottom of the table, or the rewards for finishing top of the table are null and void.

Personally I think the season should conclude BCD and on neutral venues but promotion and relegation scrapped. However as a compromise I think there should be some sort or reward/ punishment in the guise of a points award/ deduction for the 2020/21 season for the bottom 5 prem teams and top 5 champ teams. i.e whoever finishes 20th in prem starts on -5 pts, 19th on -4 pts, 18th on -3 pts etc. in 2020/21. Likewise, whoever finishes top of championship starts with 5 pts, 2nd starts with 4 pts, 3rd, 3 pts etc.

Thats not a bad shout and filter the parachaute money down to the leagues