Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Scrapping VAR at this stage would be a lawsuit waiting to happen unless scrap relegation 

I hate VAR, we wouldn't be in the bottom three, if it had given us an even break. Would it have evened things up and given us a few dubious decisions in the last few games? Will referees do that, if they go back to making the important calls themselves, without VAR to share the blame? I think the answers are unlikely to be "yes" but the way these decisions are made, shouldn't be changed during the course of a season. It's yet another example of the integrity of this season being compromised!

Edited by John
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, John said:

I hate VAR, we wouldn't be in the bottom three, if it had given us an even break. Would it have evened things up and given us a few dubious decisions in the last few games? Will referees do that, if they go back to making the important calls themselves, without VAR to share the blame? I think the answers are unlikely to be "yes" but the way these decisions are made, shouldn't be changed during the course of a season. It's yet another example of the integrity of this season being compromised!

The goal Arsenal scored against us was invalid due to them misusing the wall. Not picked up by VAR. The handball not picked up. Two major shocking decisions in one match. 

It’s not some grand conspiracy but the level of officiating has been worse than the Championship. 

We had to build a brand new squad, had bad luck with injuries at crucial times. Too many individual mistakes. A big problem is getting performances out of certain players for 90 minutes. Some players have regressed, like El Ghazi. Players need time to adapt to the league too. 

We are short on defensive minded full-backs and wingers. Too often, we were caught out with a high line or pressed off of the ball. A lack of cover really exposed the centre backs also, or dragged the likes of Nakamba/Luiz out of position. 

Smith was naive and wrong to not sign Samatta in the summer, to bring in a clearly unfit Drinkwater on loan. 

There’s been a lot of positive moments but I think the clear unbalanced squad has been a problem. 

• Like 4

I actually think we will stay up this season, regardless of behind closed doors and neutral venues. I think the team possibly needed a break, needed to full themselves together and hear some home truths. John McGinn coming back fully fit along with the rest of the squad will be massive for us.

The problem is the integrity of the league playing games behind closed doors and especially with neutral venues is an unknown, unfair variable at this point of the season.

When you look at the 6 home games we have to play, and then look at the away fixtures against them this season you can see how much the home advantage could have potentially played.

Cheslea - Lost 2-1

Sheffield U - Lost 2-0

Arsenal - Lost 3-2

Crystal Palace - Lost 1-0

Man U - Drew 2-2

Wolves - Lost 2-1

Apart from the Sheffield United game we were within one goal of drawing away from home. And against Man United one goal within winning.

We now play the return fixtures without an advantage that the home teams received earlier in the season.

Unfortunately I think the season will continue next month, behind closed doors, in neutral venues and with relegation still a danger. We just have to hope that our team have enough about them to fight for some points and keep us in this division. This summer has the potential to change the fortunes of our club for a long time to come.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

John McGinn coming back fully fit along with the rest of the squad will be massive for us.

I guess..

Although i don't think McGinn has been anywhere near last season performances.

Him playing with a knock for a few weeks is fine, but i don't think he looked great even before that.

Other teams will have important players back as well. That is not exclusive to us.

I fear from us when we return. We have failed doing the basics right this season that's why we are where we are. We can't defend a basic thing like a corner.

Edited by villalad21

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I guess..

Him playing with a knock for a few weeks is fine, but i don't think he looked great even before that.

What about at the beginning of the season when he was brilliant and gaining plaudits from Klopp? 

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I'll accept relegation but only if West Ham go down with us. 

That's just it if it was a top club whwre we are you guarantee there would be backing for them not to go down.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

This summer has the potential to change the fortunes of our club for a long time to come.

If we can sign some players before season restarts thatd help for sure.

I do actually think other teams will continue to underestimate us and we could catch a few teams out. I am hoping Smith has used this time wisely and learnt enough to catch some teams out, that our players finally realise what will happen if they fail at keeping us up.

I read someone on here say it and I'll repeat it, that many are not liking a neutral arena, yet we may find that our players can just get on with it and win, our home crowd can and has been at times pretty brutal to players. Yes most the crowd is good but it only takes a player to hear a few boos, taunts or really nasty malicious and abusive words and that's there head and game gone.

Be it stay up or go down, our players should of realised by now they could of done much better. Yet next season if it's a fight in the championship they have to do, so be it they will have to make themselves premier again OR risk ever being a top star.

If they don't pull a survival off if they are awarded with the chance then they only have themselves to blame, if they at least can't make a promotion charge then god sake get rid.

Said a few times now that maybe it's best we sell Jack if we can't spend money on players to fit by his side who are equally or better talent, that alone maybe hindering us on the pitch. All we are doing is looking for Jack and other players are not competing or even really trying to because they are all looking for him saving them in match's. We need a team not a solo act and Jack himself has to learn to trust more in his fellow team mates and let him self breath abit because he runs himself dry when he does all the work.

When we come back we need that midfield to work, they have to cut those balls out before our defence is bombarded. Every player has to put in defensively, even the darn Wingers, they were terrible helping our defence out this season and cost us a fair few. I'd lime to see Nakamba stay bloody back from now on and sweep up where our slow sluggish defenders can or vastly recover or turn to start running from midfield and chase down attackers, none of Nakamba joining to attack. I think Nakamba joining in attacks is partly why many goals have leaked through our centre from runs from the midfield. Ghazi has to do better, he has the ability but not has he gotten more hot tempered as the seasons gone on and less bothered. Luiz has showed glimpses of what he can do with his foot when he has confidence, even defensively has saved our bacon abit but he has to be prepared to drill some balls in at the keeper. Trezeguet, we do not play to his strengths which is his speed and where near like we should do. Trez should be on the Wings playing as close to the defenders as he can and we should be sending him off running down the flank with a perfect ball he can get to and have time to cross, they shouldn't be catching him at all. Wesley I want to see less on the floor and more putting players on the floor and using his strength, we seen glimpses of it before he got injured and against man Utd, he bullied those players and I loved it, so did my son.

When it all comes down to it, we need to be better at everything when we come back, each player (including Jack) has had something up with there game, and why not it was there first season together. When our players return I want Smith and I hope he has to of installed some aggression into them, I want to feel there hearts through my screen because I'm sorry I just didn't feel it enough. I always felt it was there but there hearts were not beating as one, nor were they as loud as our crowd, that has to change.

If Smith can't get us going fast, I fear more if the same, if we can win a couple of the remaining games and draw one or two was be well fine,Smith and the players the fate of the club is in there hands, but is all this to heavy on them, maybe a Neutral ground can take some of that pressure away where there's no one watching or cheering or booing.

Survival of the fittest will be a key factor when football returns, some footballers may surely of taken things lightly, I hope our lads have not and we can take advantage of it. 

Ive a feeling that if we restart and we manage to push another team into relegation and we stay up, there will be moans like crazy from other clubs, we will of earn survival, all I ask is our players and everyone at Villa to throw there hearts into whatever comes next.

Edited by Dave-R

Do we know if Heaton and wesley will be fit for a restart?, assuming the restart would be in late June or some time in July?

Sure I heard somewhere neither would be ready until September time?

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Do we know if Heaton and wesley will be fit for a restart?, assuming the restart would be in late June or some time in July?

Sure I heard somewhere neither would be ready until September time?

Wesley is absolutely zero chance of him being back.

Be close to Christmas than to midsummer when he's back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I guess..

Other teams will have important players back as well. That is not exclusive to us.

I fear from us when we return. We have failed doing the basics right this season that's why we are where we are. We can't defend a basic thing like a corner.

Yes he did. He started the season absolutely on fire whilst Grealish started slowly. McGinn was being linked with teams here, there and everywhere on the back of his performances and he regularly got in the team of the week for the first couple of months. He played 9 games before the injury on international duty. He scored 3 goals, got one assist and got 4 man of the matches. His first 9 games ever in the Premier League.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 4

"West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson said he cannot see how matches can take place without the health of fans and police officers being endangered.

The Premier League is hoping to resume the season next month, with games to be played behind closed doors and possibly at neutral venues.

But Mr Jamieson said such plans were “fraught with risk”, warning that it could lead to large groups of supporters gathering outside stadiums."

More in link... Express and Star

• Sad 1

I agree we've had some bad decisions go against us but I don't agree that there are 3 worse teams than us. We might've produced a few moments of quality over the course of the season but we're arguably the worst side in the league. Architects of our own downfall time after time due to the repetition of basic errors.

I watched the last MOTD before the lockdown the other day and it highlighted for me what was the biggest mistake we made. Not re-signing Gary Cahill.

• Like 1

Watford Chairman now speaking out against playing at neutral grounds... BBC

"I, of course, absolutely accept we cannot have supporters in the stadium,... "That goes without saying in the present situation.

"However, we are now told we cannot play our remaining home games at Vicarage Road and the familiarity and advantage that brings. This against a backdrop of players who, having seen their lives turned upside down along with the rest of the world, are suddenly expected to perform as if nothing has happened, despite the rest of society probably still facing the kind of restrictions unenforceable on a football pitch.

"We have club medical staff working under conditions that no doctor or physio has ever experienced with guidelines that, in no small part, are based at this stage on supposition rather than scientific fact. And with all these compromises and health risks we are asked to finish a competition that bears no resemblance to the one we started, which could end a small club like Watford's time in the Premier League.

"So is this fair? Does it have any semblance of sporting integrity? Of course not."

But he can say that knowing that if the season doesn't go ahead then Watford won't go down on PPG average, or by virtue of being in the bottom three, so as with Brighton, their situation isn't quite the same as ours, Norwich's or Bournemouth's, seems those in the bottom three are at a disadvantage either way, either season gets called off and we're automatically relegated or season goes ahead at neutral grounds and we lose home advantage.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I agree we've had some bad decisions go against us but I don't agree that there are 3 worse teams than us. We might've produced a few moments of quality over the course of the season but we're arguably the worst side in the league. Architects of our own downfall time after time due to the repetition of basic errors.

I watched the last MOTD before the lockdown the other day and it highlighted for me what was the biggest mistake we made. Not re-signing Gary Cahill.

Again I don't think there was any chance of that happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

"West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner David Jamieson said he cannot see how matches can take place without the health of fans and police officers being endangered.

The Premier League is hoping to resume the season next month, with games to be played behind closed doors and possibly at neutral venues.

But Mr Jamieson said such plans were “fraught with risk”, warning that it could lead to large groups of supporters gathering outside stadiums."

More in link... Express and Star

Contrast the above and what DCC Mark Roberts has said, with what recently retired West Yorkshire chief superintendent Owen West has said (as quoted in today's Tlmes, by Matt Lawton), "The return of football matches is being discussed as a public order issue, as if supporters are going to gather en masse outside grounds. That tone demonises fans who have been complying with the lockdown and also contributing admirably to food banks and community aid."

Roberts has said, "When you see people arguing about integrity it might be a big deal in football terms but in broader society where we have lost so many people to coronavirus, that's not a big deal. Some people in football need to get a grip and recognise there's a bigger picture. We want to get the season back for commercial reasons, for morale reasons. But we cannot risk putting a single further life in jeopardy." As Martin Samuels says in today's Daily Mail, "So abandon it, if that's the criterion - because indisputably, there's a risk." 

Sorry I'm unable to post the Times link due to their paywall. The Mail link is below: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8301957/MARTIN-SAMUEL-Football-does-not-need-lectured-coronavirus-constable-Roberts.html

Edited by John

I'm still wondering whether all these stories of 'project restart' are all talk just so they can turn around to the TV companies and say that they did all they could to get it going again, but behind the scenes they know it's likely to be cancelled, then it will just be a question of how they decide to settle everything.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4