Premier League 2019-2020 Thread

Enda

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm completely certain the Premier League will be up and running again next month. The entire thing is quite frankly a farce but with the amount of money surrounding English football I'm not surprised. 

im sure it will be but it has to be finished still by 30th June unless they can make all contracted players stay on longer

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

One of my directors at work is a Coventry fan (but now like most of them spends most of his time at his childhood favourite rugby club Wasps) 

I once had a 20 minute argument where I was basically saying we don't even think about you or give a shit what you think about us and he was replying over and over again "yes you do" 

He's a very very intelligent and articulate man, but just wouldn't accept that we were anything but obsessed with them. I can only assume earlier in his life he's met a Villa fan who delighted in winding him up. 

Ask him if he ever worked with a man named Allan (Homer) Simpson. That's my brother and I can confirm that if he did know or work with my brother it would absolutely explain his obsession with Villa. 

My brother is a mad Villa fan and lived and worked in Coventry for over 30 years and loves winding them up.

By the way, I've found over the years that Cov folks generally have issues with Brummies. I think it's some sort of inferioty complex 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

So you think they will squander £750m in order to spite the people who have not gone with the plan? It will be a question of who blinks first and when they see the cash slipping away they will cave in and take the cash for no relegation. 

No, they will do everything possible to keep that money. I think that will include trying to isolate the bottom three and pointing to them, as the only clubs that are blocking their precious restart. They will accuse them of doing so, for their own selfishly motivated reason, namely in an attempt to try to avoid being relegated. What will happen if that doesn't lead to the bottom three agreeing to play, I don't really know and I suspect the PL haven't thought about what they would do then either. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So it looks like the Sky and BT games will still be exclusive to Sky and what they're talking about is taking some of the remaining games and making them free to air.

Now, as a season ticket holder who has paid in advance to view these games, I won't be happy if they are played but I don't get to see them because I'm not a Sky or BT customer - season ticket holders should always come before TV fans. If I've paid to see a game and that game is going ahead I should be able to see it. I'd want the clubs or the TV companies to be required to sort season ticket holders out.

It's not just that there's a thing happening and I can't go - it's that you moved it somewhere else and you haven't given me access to see it. 

There should be a requirement for every club to make a stream of the matches they play available for their season ticket holders.

Agree.  Clubs should be refunding season ticket holders regardless really.

• Like 1

This copper that has mouthed off about certain clubs not wanting to play at neutral venues needs to explain why its only the Premier League this applies to.  If he is telling me its because fans will congregate then I want him to explain why this is different for The Championship?  Bournemouth as an example have a tenth of the fanbase of Leeds.  Why do they get to play at Elland Road?  There are other examples of bigger supported clubs in The Championship compared to The Prem too.

It seems to me he has not thought his comments through the daft bastard!

• Like 3

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/07/premier-leagues-project-restart-takes-toxic-turn-rebel-clubs/

As suspected, it’s getting extremely dirty. Threats of point deductions for clubs that fail to fulfill ties in the event of a vote to play BCD at neutral venues. Clubs being told that it’ll be far more expensive to not finish the season than it would for relegation. Clubs higher up the league refusing an expanded Premier League as they don’t want to share the money. For some reason there is a head police officer berating the club’s that are questioning the neutral venues scenario,  whilst not referring to the naked greed at the heart of anything else. Obviously a Leeds fan. The pressure is being piled on to those clubs in the lower end of the league to accept the proposals currently on the table, it does seem to be the case that they’re essentially being told to vote for the proposals or they’ll relegate the clubs currently occupying the bottom 3 places. It would appear a no win situation. 
The three bottom placed clubs have to hold their stance and force the governing bodies to come up with the solution. If they relegate us without playing another game, so be it. We’ll see you in court. 
There’s a bigger picture here though, isn’t there? And that picture is what I feared last season, that the Premier League is an all encompassing greed machine with no moral at its heart whatsoever. It’s a cesspit. It’s strangling all other football to feed itself, no matter the consequence. It just keeps needing more and more. Gluttony. Those who won’t help the head clubs continue to feast get thrown overboard. I didn’t want to be part of the Premier League last season, but we all know how important it was for the club because of the money to help the club survive. But now, if there was any doubt before, we are being shown the huge wound that has been inflicted upon English football by the Premier League. I want nothing to do with it. I want nothing to do with it to the point where if we were relegated, and then subsequently finished in the promotion places the following season, I’d want to refuse promotion. Just sell the promotion spot to someone else, the highest bidder. I’ve had enough of the Premier League and the greedy few at the heart of it. Time for someone to make a stand against it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

im sure it will be but it has to be finished still by 30th June unless they can make all contracted players stay on longer

Yep, bundesliga have squeezed the fixtures up so that they will be finished before any potential contractual mess on 1st July 

PL can't do that

So this is why they've been kicking the can down the road so long. Looks like there will be blood spilled on Monday. But missing from all those top level arguments and headlines is the opinion of players - I think the bosses have a shock coming on that front as they've kept them out of the discussions so far. All that said, playing on now could be our best chance of survival - we should go for it, could pick up quite a few points against any team from 14th place upwards.

It seems that as I had expected, the PL, with a little help from the FA and a complicit police DCC, have gone down the Reggie & Ronnie Kray route, when it comes to persuading the bottom three that they have no alternative, other than to vote for their precious project restart.

I would like to think the press and pundits, would be against this heavy handed approach. If West Ham or someone like Manchester United, were currently in the bottom three, I'm sure they would be very vocal in their condemnation of how the bottom three's valid points were being ignored. Instead of that, I anticipate the press, pundits, the EFL and the other 17 clubs, will be delighted if this approach gets football on the box again, at whatever the cost. :angry:

Significant because it's more leagues that aren't just nulling and voiding the season, and there's a good chance that premier league would use the same formula to determine the table should it be deemed that games can't be played... Looking at it from strict footballing point of view it seems our only chance of surviving is if the season does carry on, whether that be via relegation being scrapped as a result of having to play at neutral venues, or because we earn it on the pitch.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree.  Clubs should be refunding season ticket holders regardless really.

Exactly I’ve got sky which I already pay for and got a season ticket, I’d want my money back on the games I’m gonna miss on my season ticket if this season did finish

Maybe the rumored new Newcastle owner can help the fans out and illegally stream all of the games for free.

He is already doing it in Saudi so might as well do it in the rest of the world as well.

48 minutes ago, useless said:

Significant because it's more leagues that aren't just nulling and voiding the season, and there's a good chance that premier league would use the same formula to determine the table should it be deemed that games can't be played... Looking at it from strict footballing point of view it seems our only chance of surviving is if the season does carry on, whether that be via relegation being scrapped as a result of having to play at neutral venues, or because we earn it on the pitch.

It would put us presumably on 35 points (different ppg home and away). Anyone want to do the maths for the other teams?

EDIT: Watford would be on 36.

I can see where this is going...

Edited by Rolta

Haven't tried working it out myself but seen it suggested on twitter that if the premier league table was worked out using the same formula then us, Norwich and West Ham would be relegated. Just hoping that because there's that much more of a financial catastrophe for dropping from the premier league that they decide it would be unfair to use that system to relegate teams in the top division, and just use it to determine European places and league title, should it come to that.

Edited by useless

45 minutes ago, useless said:

Does anybody know how PPG works?  Obviously Pts divide by games but in Arsenal/Spurs situation, Arsenal gain just over a point from their original position of 40 points (40 points divide by 28 games).  Spurs have 41 points.  So do Arsenal get 1.4 points thus sneak past Spurs at 41.4 points or is it rounded and they get 1 point thus are on 41 points and stay below Spurs because Spurs have a better goal difference?

In the context of Villa that answer could be big because aside from the money there is the rivalry between the two clubs and whoever loses to that answer could vote against ppg.

13 minutes ago, Rolta said:

It would put us presumably on 35 points (different ppg home and away). Anyone want to do the maths for the other teams?

EDIT: Watford would be on 36.

I can see where this is going...

I suggested on Wednesday in this thread that option, thinking it would get us our of trouble and then later also did the math and posted it and yes it would make no difference in that we would be relegated

Below was the table i did.  Total is PPG based on total table, PPG H&A is points if weighted based on Home and Away points so far this season.  We gain an extra point, which still sees us relegated

villa H&A.JPG

Edited Wednesday at 12:52 by nick76

Edited by nick76