Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know Purslow said loaning is a bad business model but that business model got us promoted and earned us £170m in funds. As such if the only way to get Axel and Tammy back is another loan, then I'd be all for it. We've got enough players to buy this year as it is. 

Not to discredit your point, but he made it very clear and on the record, it's not something we will be doing.

Loan to buy, perhaps. 

I keep reading links to the likes of Charlie Austin and Daniel Sturridge. These types of players are the exact opposite to what Smith and Purslow have clearly indicated we’re looking for. Are they not listening?? It’s just lazy, click bait journalism. Since when did Smith ever build a squad that wasn’t full of young players on the way up?

Perhaps these so called media outlets didn’t get the memo, or still think Bruce is in charge, because they are exactly the types he would have gone for. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Barcelona have put their 20-year old LB Marc Cucurella up for sale. Supposed to be highly rated. Could be a good option if not too expensive.

Would be a great option. He was probably Eibar's best player last season. Eibar have an option to buy him for 2M euro, Barcelona then have the option to buy him back for 4M euro - both of which is expected to be used. Barcelona then expect, according to spanish insiders, to ship him off for around 8M euro. 

Benfica is supposedly very interested in him as well to replace Alejandro Grimaldo if/when he gets sold. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know Purslow said loaning is a bad business model but that business model got us promoted and earned us £170m in funds. As such if the only way to get Axel and Tammy back is another loan, then I'd be all for it. We've got enough players to buy this year as it is. 

It wasnt really a business model, it was a necessity due to the critically poor state of our finances and previous poor decisions in the transfer market, it was more of a symptom than a cause.

We spent the best part of 100m while we were in the championship, which is a jaw dropping amount considering the terrible return we got on that investment.

I agree we did get a few  really class signings on loan, but that has now partially led to the state we are in with having no players after we got promoted, developed others teams players and now they have gone back to their parent club (some we are trying to sign obviously).

I agree it is a "tool" to be utilised in the championship, but not in the premiership unless it's a loan with a buy option, we need to be benefiting from developing our own players.

Dean Smith and the team did an amazing job getting promoted, but let's not forget that after spending 100m + on signings since we dropped to the championship and nearly going bankrupt last summer, we should count our blessings.

Just now, sne said:

Don't think we'll go for a token old guy a'la Lescott and Samba this time.

No Ashley Williams please. 

Lescott was bought in to start. Williams would be 4th or 5th choice.  Probably never play but there just Incase.

Again i don’t think it will happen anyway but looking at our squad we really need some fillers as well as first teamers.

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lescott was bought in to start. Williams would be 4th or 5th choice.  Probably never play but there just Incase.

Again i don’t think it will happen anyway but looking at our squad we really need some fillers as well as first teamers.

I just think that on the rare occasions we will have to play our 4th or 5th CB we should use someone from our own ranks and not spend money however little on a signing bonus and contract for a over the hill bench warmer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am not sure about that. He seems like a decent all round striker, but a lot of his goals are either simple tap ins and penalties. If you observe him getting a clear cut chance he is worse than Tammy. More like Darius Vassell. I'd prefer to leave Maupay to Brentford. 

Same here, I wouldn't risk £20M on him. Saw him live against WBA at Griffin Park and he was anonymous the whole game. There he came up against CB of mid/low Premier League quality and was taken out completely. Benrahma was the one who stood out as a threat in that game.

Maupay is a livley little player full of energy and running and gets goals but in my view he is in the same mould as Hogan and scores the same kind of goals that Hogan did for Brentford. I think playing 4-3-3 with one central forward we need someone with more presence. Abraham was perfect for us. I would take Maupay for around £10M and have him as an option as a wide forward or second choice central striker, but not as our main central forward. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Same here, I wouldn't risk £20M on him. Saw him live against WBA at Griffin Park and he was anonymous the whole game. There he came up against CB of mid/low Premier League quality and was taken out completely. Benrahma was the one who stood out as a threat in that game.

Maupay is a livley little player full of energy and running and gets goals but in my view he is in the same mould as Hogan and scores the same kind of goals that Hogan did for Brentford. I think playing 4-3-3 with one central forward we need someone with more presence. Abraham was perfect for us. I would take Maupay for around £10M and have him as an option as a wide forward or second choice central striker, but not as our main central forward. 

Maupay is totally different to Hogan. He is a very clever footballer with excellent technique. Signing him would represent a risk but I really feel he will make it. He has all of the right physical attributes, reads the game well and seems to have a good attitude.

He reminds me of a young Robbie Keane. We missed out on signing him all of those years back and this has a similar feel to it. For £20m it is worth a punt.

If we are after defenders why not have a look at Dawson, Bartley or Hegazi at WBA? They were immense against us and are all good enough for the PL, one of them as back up to fill up the numbers would be good business. With WBA not going up they need to sell and slash their wage bill. We should take advantage of their fire sale. I'm not sure who of them is best or most price worthy. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

Maupay is totally different to Hogan. He is a very clever footballer with excellent technique. Signing him would represent a risk but I really feel he will make it. He has all of the right physical attributes, reads the game well and seems to have a good attitude.

He reminds me of a young Robbie Keane. We missed out on signing him all of those years back and this has a similar feel to it. For £20m it is worth a punt.

£20m is not a punt though. Paying £20m should be more of a guarantee.

Now admittedly I have only seen Maupay a couple of times, when he’s played us. But you’d like to hope we have scouts out there who can find a player with similar attributes for a fraction of the price 

Going to put my two pence in after bringing the Rondon debate in yesterday.

There needs to be a bit of realism here, it happens a lot with Villa fans where we get carried away with how big we think we are. Yes we are back in the PL, yes we need a striker but there is no way we are going to go and splash out £40-50m on a striker like Maxi Lopez in our first season back from the Championship. Some of the players being brought up are farcical.

Rondon - Firstly he's not free, WBA triggered a 12 month extension this season, he has a release clause of 16.5 million. I mentioned him yesterday as he would be a perfect striker to hold the ball up and bring players into the game as the main goal threats. You would then set the team up around him, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane & El Ghazi would benefit from this. However he is 29, he doesn't score that many goals himself and this style of play may not be what Smith want's to go for. Although I agree Davis is a similar player, he is no where near ready or proven enough to be leading the line next season in the PL.

Kodjia - Showed glimpses of being a PL player in his first season, missed the second season mostly and last season didn't look back to his best until late on. He could possibly do a job for us but there are better strikers out there as Abraham proved last season. Would I keep him as an option next season? Almost certainly. But it will depend if he is happy to stick around and be 2nd/3rd choice. It would then give us the chance to let Davis get a season of Championship football under his belt.

Maupay - Seems to have it all, has played under Smith before and would fit into our team. On the minus side he will cost in excess of £20m and is completely unproven in the PL. I would imagine he would be worth a gamble, but as has been mentioned before are we going to continue buying players that other teams have found or are we going to go out and find our own gems? Recently the Villa way has been let teams uncover players then spend silly money buying them off them, at some point this must change especially on players who are unproven at this level.

From the ex-Villa players mentioned:

Milner - No, he's not what we need anymore. We have McGinn who does a similar job in the midfield, he's younger and the future of the club. Milner wouldn't come anyway, Liverpool will extend his contract if they haven't already.

Benteke - No, he's not what we need and right now isn't the time to become a hospice for players who have lost their way.

Delph - No. He's exactly what we need, he would play the holding role very well and compliment Grealish and McGinn. However I and 90% of this fanbase wouldn't have him back due to the way he left us. I'm quite enjoying him get zero game time after his big move.

Albrighton - No, there are better wingers out there and at 29 he's not getting any younger.

Amavi - Yes. In my opinion he would fit in very well to the current team. He's good going forward, despite being suspect defensively. It would be upto Smith to establish if he's as good as the hype around him. It would also all be down to cost, for sub £10m I think he would be a very good option at left back, a player that Smith and the team could improve massively and a player that is already well liked at the club. Settling in would be easy and that will be a big plus next season.