Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

Safe to say if Maupay was a "young Robbie Keane" or good enough quality to be worth looking at, he'd be linked to clubs all over the place and we'd have massive competition. I don't think that's the case, and that says everything I need to know. 

It's kinda fighting how many players we need to sign this window.

Looking at our squad, how many of those players would you think are good enough for a first team in the Premier League.

I'd say...

Steer/Kalinic (maybe?)

Grealish

McGinn

That's probably about it.

That means we need to sign...

LB

CB

CB

RB

DM

LM

RM

CF

At least, and they all have to be of a quality that's good enough for the first eleven, and they all have to hit the ground running.

Quite an ask . 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

I know all this. I know Wolves are ahead in terms of squad development. I was and am talking about our ability to sign a player. Or how likely it is a player would join us.

I’m not if we can be favorites to them in terms of players. Every player we sign will have an eye on us going down, that would make personal terms a bit harder to agree. In the Wolves case they won’t have that issue I guess.

28 minutes ago, sne said:

I just think that on the rare occasions we will have to play our 4th or 5th CB we should use someone from our own ranks and not spend money however little on a signing bonus and contract for a over the hill bench warmer.

That’s a fair point. Do we have any young centre halves at the moment? Last I saw we released quite a few. 

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Looking at our squad, how many of those players would you think are good enough for a first team in the Premier League.

I'd say...

Steer/Kalinic (maybe?)

Grealish

McGinn

LB

CB

CB

RB

DM

LM

RM

CF

At least, and they all have to be of a quality that's good enough for the first eleven, and they all have to hit the ground running.

Quite an ask . 

We have Gilbert and Elmo at RB, one less to buy unless you really want another RB.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Safe to say if Maupay was a "young Robbie Keane" or good enough quality to be worth looking at, he'd be linked to clubs all over the place and we'd have massive competition. I don't think that's the case, and that says everything I need to know. 

Saying that it was only Coventry that took a chance on Robbie Keane for 6m (which was big money back then). Although he was a couple of years younger than Maupay.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd say...

Steer/Kalinic (maybe?)

Grealish

McGinn

LB

CB

CB

RB

DM

LM

RM

CF

Quite an ask . 

There is another question to be asked, 

How many teams have a full first team good enough for Premier League?

I think Guilbert will be ok in the PL so you can add him.

I don’t think Jota is the worse winger compared to other wingers, although I’m not really sure about the quality up there since we were down. But I’ve much worse in teams that stayed up. We used to have Weimann, Richardson and those sort of players starting for us regularly.

• Like 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

We have Gilbert and Elmo at RB, one less to buy unless you really want another RB.

True, I'm hoping that Gilbert is good enough for a first 11 in the PL. I hope we don't go into the season with Elmo as first choice.

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd say...

Steer/Kalinic (maybe?)

Grealish

McGinn

LB

CB

CB

RB

DM

LM

RM

CF

Quite an ask . 

I think we will struggle next season. I really hope the club are confident in their plan. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Saying that it was only Coventry that took a chance on Robbie Keane for 6m (which was big money back then). Although he was a couple of years younger than Maupay.

Big difference I'd say. Keane was a teenager. You can expect crazy development in the right players. It's not reasonable Maupay will exceed the level he's at when he's turning 23. 

At least that's my thinking. 

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd say...

Steer/Kalinic (maybe?)

Grealish

McGinn

This is frighteningly accurate. However :

LB

CB - Mings , hopeful this deal will get done

CB - Hause -  stories are this is done

RB 

DM

LM

RM - El Ghazi - stories are this is close to done

CF - obvioisly actively pursuing this position with talk of Maupey, possibility still of Abraham.

So that's half the list already very much in the pipeline. Plenty of time left in the window. It is funny how many big money signings we need to make just to assemble a similar squad to last year... whereas most promoted teams spend big to add on to the squad that got them promoted. That's the curse of loans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

Lots of new players...many there first chance to show they can cut in the PL...a packed VP.... .I think we will survive of andrelin  alone.

or the "fans" will turn nasty after a few bad results, thats my real concern, we really need to be behind the team next season, the last thing they need is fans expecting too much and getting on the teams / managers back if we find it tough at times.

• Like 1

The decks have been cleared for a reason. We're going to be very very busy, very very soon. Worry about what the squad looks like on the eve of battle. Not now.

I reckon we'll be buzzing by that time. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Super John McGinn was only linked to us and Celtic. There isn’t always a queue of clubs for even the best of players.

2 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The decks have been cleared for a reason. We're going to be very very busy, very very soon. Worry about what the squad looks like on the eve of battle. Not now.

I reckon we'll be buzzing by that time. 

Hope you're right! No reason to doubt the board, but with our squad in the state it's in, I can see other teams playing hard ball with us on fees 'cos we're pretty desperate for players already. Interesting summer ahead all the same.

6 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Nigel Adkins has just left Hull I wonder if we could sneak in and get Bowen on the cheap.

reading between the lines (so could be wrong), he wanted to push on and keep players like Bowen, but the club want to stay in the championship and sell their major assets like Bowen.

Thats the only way i can see that their futures arent aligned, the manager wants to progress, spend some money and keep their best players, the club want to sell their best assets and do it much slower maybe.