Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

We used to criticise MON for always buying players from the Premier League, now we seem to have a proper scouting network and you all want Mitrovic and Rondon.

You have to pay a premium to buy from the rival premier league clubs, we can probably buy 2 up and coming younger strikers from Europe for the same price as one of these.

I repeat, they are both 1 in 4 strikers, Rondon is 29 and wont improve - last season was the first time in 4 seasons here he hit double figures and that was only just, Mitrovic is a hit and miss finisher (prem record: 21 goals in 77 apps). Lets look beyond MOTD highlights please.

"Let's look beyond MOTD highlights"?   Bit patronising that mate.  You're in a speculation thread where suggestions are made.  Now you disagree with recent suggestions - fair enough!  But, we are all fans of the same club that just want to see improvements in the squad.    

• Like 4

Just now, ferguson1 said:

"Let's look beyond MOTD highlights"?   Bit patronising that mate.  You're in a speculation thread where suggestions are made.  Now you disagree with recent suggestions - fair enough!  But, we are all fans of the same club that just want to see improvements in the squad.    

Particularly when people are responding to you with actual statistics and data.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

I can’t wait for MOTD highlights, I bloody hate watching Colin Murray on Quest!

Maybe, but when I imagine listening to  Jenas talk about our team I might switch the TV off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I can’t wait for MOTD highlights, I bloody hate watching Colin Murray on Quest!

Look forward to being last on and still getting more coverage than the second game on quest.  I'll never moan again. 

2 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Particularly when people are responding to you with actual statistics and data.

I provided stats and data too, they are both 1 in 4 strikers.

They both remind me of Kevin Davies under fat Sam at Bolton, get you 7-10 goals for the season and push people about. Personally I think Dean Smith will look to play a different way so they are both unlikely anyway.

I'll leave it there then if people are getting wound up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Look forward to being last on and still getting more coverage than the second game on quest.  I'll never moan again. 

Totally. I can’t accept being last on, providing I don’t have to sit through loads of adverts, and Colin Murray yammering on.

Just now, Junxs said:

They both remind me of Kevin Davies under fat Sam at Bolton, get you 7-10 goals for the season and push people about. Personally I think Dean Smith will look to play a different way so they are both unlikely anyway.

I'll leave it there then if people are getting wound up. 

Harsh on Mitrovic I feel. Played sporadically for a god awful Newcastle, much to the bemusement of their fans. Started regularly for a god awful Fulham.

John Carew's minutes to goal ratio is similar, for what it's worth. For a top 6 team.

I don't have the same amount of love for Rondon as I have seen him play the donkey one too many times.

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Rondon scored a goal for every 2.7 appearances this past season. If you include his time at West Brom, one goal per 3.6 matches, or one goal per 318 minutes played, which isn't great. But if he's on a free, and you're bringing him in for depth, I don't see anything wrong with it. 

As for Mitrovic, he scored a goal for every 3.4 appearances and 298.4 minutes played this season, but it's harder to judge that based on just the numbers because that team was an absolute mess.

Over his entire PL career he's scored a goal for every 3.1 appearances and 261.3 minutes. I'm not as interested in him as others, but your assertion of "1 in 4" seems deliberately misleading to further the point you're trying to make.

Not much mention of our need at LB - may I recommend a player whose current club is in a "need to sell" FFP situation ? And one I think would fit into DS system...and not unfamiliar with AVFC

Spoiler

Jordan Amavi 😍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Rondon scored a goal for every 2.7 appearances this past season. If you include his time at West Brom, one goal per 3.6 matches, or one goal per 318 minutes played, which isn't great. But if he's on a free, and you're bringing him in for depth, I don't see anything wrong with it. 

As for Mitrovic, he scored a goal for every 3.4 appearances and 298.4 minutes played this season, but it's harder to judge that based on just the numbers because that team was an absolute mess.

Over his entire PL career he's scored a goal for every 3.1 appearances and 261.3 minutes. I'm not as interested in him as others, but your assertion of "1 in 4" seems deliberately misleading to further the point you're trying to make.

I'm looking at Premier League stats only.

Rondon 35 goals in 140 PL games = 4 

Mitrovic 22 goals 77 PL games = 3.5 

Where have you seen Rondon is a free agent? Radio WM were saying just the other week he has a 16.5m release clause.

• Like 1

I don't exactly work as a scout, so it's hard for me to give examples of players we should be looking at. But I think you can use deduction to get an idea of what we will do and should do.

1) We need a strong targetman. 

Okey there's strong targetmen in most leagues. So that alone won't get you far.

2) We need a strong targetman that's fairly comfortable with the ball at his feet in the right age with some decent mobility. 

I automatically think of leagues in Spain, France, Poland, Germany, Serbia, Russia. Probably more Poland and Germany more than anything. 

3) We need a striker that won't be shellshocked by moving to England and everything the English league involves. 

**** if I know where I am going with this, but I think it means you can exclude Italians, probably the French as well. 

4) We need value for money cause we probably have quite a fair bit of business to do, and it's not even sure this targetman will be our first team player if we end up signing or loaning Tammy.

Which to me means I'd probably be looking in most of these leagues except Spain. 

I guess you could argue Spain is very likely due to Jota signing and Jesus pulling the strings, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone completely left field is suddenly linked and it's an Eastern European striker. 

9 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe these owners (plus Suso and Dean) would consider it an investment? A risk worth taking? Add £20m onto the transfer pot, on the assumption that we will own a player that has the potential to double in value?

A different situation entirely, but I always think back to the Lambert season when Lerner wouldn't stump up the £6m for Aaron Cresswell. So instead we bought Joe Bennett for £3m, who needed replacing with Antonio Luna for £2m, who needed replacing with Aly Cissokho for £1.5m.... who ended up being replaced by Kieran Richardson and then Amavi for £8m :rolleyes: :crylaugh:

Exactly, buy cheap buy twice

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I'm looking at Premier League stats only.

Rondon 35 goals in 140 PL games = 4 

Mitrovic 22 goals 77 PL games = 3.5 

Where have you seen Rondon is a free agent? Radio WM were saying just the other week he has a 16.5m release clause.

Minutes are a better indicator than appearances.

Ashley Williams? God no! He was past it several years ago. Remember Agbonlahor ran him ragged at Swansea, and that was when Gabby already had become a fatso.

We are talking about having fast CB to be able to play with a high line of defence, Williams turns like a oil tanker.

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1