Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

26 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Safe to say if Maupay was a "young Robbie Keane" or good enough quality to be worth looking at, he'd be linked to clubs all over the place and we'd have massive competition. I don't think that's the case, and that says everything I need to know. 

I don’t know anything about Maupay so you may well be right but you could apply this exact logic to any signing we make ever without massive competition. 

2 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Super John McGinn was only linked to us and Celtic. There isn’t always a queue of clubs for even the best of players.

Fair point, but McGinn also was £ 3 million quid. Maupay is said to be £ 20 million. If Maupay was £ 3 million quid I'd have no problem with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

reading between the lines (so could be wrong), he wanted to push on and keep players like Bowen, but the club want to stay in the championship and sell their major assets like Bowen.

Thats the only way i can see that their futures arent aligned, the manager wants to progress, spend some money and keep their best players, the club want to sell their best assets and do it much slower maybe.

Yeah, I'd also say he'll be sold off very soon as no manager will want to come in and be the one to sell the prized asset on the cheap.

reading between the lines (so could be wrong), he wanted to push on and keep players like Bowen, but the club want to stay in the championship and sell their major assets like Bowen.

Thats the only way i can see that their futures arent aligned, the manager wants to progress, spend some money and keep their best players, the club want to sell their best assets and do it much slower maybe.

Yeah, I'd also say he'll be sold off very soon as no manager will want to come in and be the one to sell the prized asset on the cheap.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Fair point, but McGinn also was £ 3 million quid. Maupay is said to be £ 20 million. If Maupay was £ 3 million quid I'd have no problem with it. 

20 goal a season players will always come with a price tag to reflect that. You pay your money and take your chances. 

Just now, VillaAlex said:

90f559c1-4d8f-49e3-926e-bb1cf17e832c.jpg

• Haha 3

this is a very interesting video, exactly the type of football we need to be playing.

To be fair, i would say there are comparisons between Deano's "ideal" system once he gets his chosen players, to this type of modern tactical system.

I cant wait to see Deano's system come to full fruition, once he gets the type of players he needs all through the first 11.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Big difference I'd say. Keane was a teenager. You can expect crazy development in the right players. It's not reasonable Maupay will exceed the level he's at when he's turning 23. 

At least that's my thinking. 

When Didier Drogba was 23 he was playing in the French second division. Jamie Vardy was playing for Halifax - his next move was to Fleetwood. Again, I haven’t really watched Maupay, but these points are a little odd to me...

Edit: did just see your other post saying it’s the £20m price tag you question which is totally fair, but I think that’s a very separate point than saying a 23 year old is unlikely to improve! 

Edited by Adam2003

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

When Didier Drogba was 23 he was playing in the French second division. Jamie Vardy was playing for Halifax - his next move was to Fleetwood. Again, I haven’t really watched Maupay, but these points are a little odd to me...

Ofc you can always find exceptions to the rule. Is that your point? You're willing to spend £ 20 million to bet he's the next Robbie Keane? Suggest you don't enter the betting game too seriously. 

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Ofc you can always find exceptions to the rule. Is that your point? You're willing to spend £ 20 million to bet he's the next Robbie Keane? Suggest you don't enter the betting game too seriously. 

No, my point is just that your claim that players don’t improve after 23 is total nonsense. I just said your £20m point is valid.

• Like 1

My only real hesitation rgd Maupay would be him acting like an absolute word removed when we’ve played against them. Nasty, petulant little fecker. Mind you, that might also be in his favour. If Smith thinks he’d fit in well with the rest of the group, I’d be all for it. 

These points show that Maupey would be a gamble - not a bad signing.

Had we not taken the gamble on McGinn (OK, it was only 3m but by Championship standards that's still a decent chunk) then he could still be playing reasonably well for Hibs and now being linked to a few clubs for 5-6m. Sometimes a new challenge and new motivation can really unlock a player - combine that with the fantastic coaching and facilities we have, you don't need to sign a player proven at a certain level, you have to trust your scouts and coaches to find and create the player you want.

Yes, Maupey is expensive at 20m, but his lack of experience shouldn't put us off, especially if the manager knows him this well and thinks he can succeed, and our club scouts and watched him and agree. 

Any player scoring 20 goals a season in the Premiership will cost a lot more than 20 million. Like I say you have to decide if Maupay is worth a punt. Given that Deano worked with Maupay at Brentford, I would have to trust his judgement on this one if he thought it was worth it. It’s still a punt though. Aren’t they all.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

That would be a triple whammy. 

6 minutes ago, Michelsen said:

My only real hesitation rgd Maupay would be him acting like an absolute word removed when we’ve played against them. Nasty, petulant little fecker. Mind you, that might also be in his favour. If Smith thinks he’d fit in well with the rest of the group, I’d be all for it. 

yeah, and the real positive is Dean Smith knows exactly what he is like.

I also really rate Benrhama and would love us to try and sign him, but again, if we dont then that just implies Dean Smith knows him better than any of us, and isnt convinced, could be for playing reasons, or personal/team reasons?

If we do sign Maupay and/or someone like Benrhama, we had better believe that Deano thinks they would be a good personality fit as well as good players for us.

If anyone can pick the cream from the championship (especially Brentford), Deano should be able to.

I honestly have faith that anyone we sign from the Championship will be fine, as i doubt as a manager and a fan, Deano would sign them if he didnt really believe they were capable and would fit in the team ethos etc.

Edited by MaVilla

I can see Bowen getting a lot of offers very soon. Cracking player and only 21/22? Feel sorry for Hull fans as this sort of thing keeps happening; clubs who can't hold to their best players just can't progress unless there's a serious stream of academy talent coming through.