Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Seems a bit bizarre that Howe should want Mings at Newcastle when he didn’t want him at Bournemouth.

Just some journalist looking for a former player to make a lazy link, Mings is probably the biggest "name" of them. Then again, their owners could be looking for an England player or two to aid in their sportswashing like City.

For me I think the pressure of being captain is effecting him, he always has a balls up in him, but seems the best out of our defenders at Marshalling the back line, I hope Gerrard takes the captaincy from him and just tells him to concentrate on his job of defending. 

Out of the regular players we have I can only think of maybe McGinn or Dougie to captain, that's without giving it to Martinez (not a big fan of goalies being captain) 

McGinn and Dougie are young but so was Jack and he thrived on it, maybe they would to. 

• Like 2

McGinn’s form has been even worse than Tyrone’s. I don’t think he’ll change the captain this season, he’ll need Mings to get back to his best and try to sort the rest of the defence out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Risso said:

McGinn’s form has been even worse than Tyrone’s. I don’t think he’ll change the captain this season, he’ll need Mings to get back to his best and try to sort the rest of the defence out. 

Not a chance, McGinn has put in some pretty decent performances so far this season. 

Tyrone has looked a mile off it for most of the season. 

• Like 1

I'd drive Tyrone to another club for a profit tbh.

Was immense his first season for us but has often flattered to deceive since then, his error-prone nature and lapses in concentrations have cost us numerous points.

Not really good enough from a captain IMHO.

If they want to offer 50 million for Mings it should be accepted. Not because he isn't a good player, but because it makes commercial sense. He's going to be nearly 29 in January.

A part of the "sustainable" model that Purslow constantly refers too will involve us selling players for profit before their value diminishes. if we can spend 40/50 million on a 23/24 year old alternative then that makes sense and we keep the average age down without spending anything.

They key as always is recruitment. Leicester sold Maguire + brought in Soyunchu (23 at the time) and Fofana (19). 

• Like 2

Mings was superb against Southampton the other day, and superb for much of last season. Definitely not just a one season wonder.

I know he's prone to the occasional mistake and not an elite defender, but I genuinely think some football fans have a personal issue with him because of his views and personality, and are overly harsh on him because of that. (Especially non-Villa fans, but including some Villa fans.)

• Like 4

I think we have to sort the midfield out before we do anything with the defence. Our lack of ability to keep hold of the ball and control games from CM is horrific, and it puts Mings, Konsa etc. under so much more pressure than they should realistically have to deal with.

Sort the CM out, then we'll know exactly what we need to do with Mings and Konsa, if anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

You should only do this if you have the perfect player lined up.

We were linked with Mario Hermoso at Atletico over the summer, a left-sided CB. If that was an option to replace Mings I’d definitely take it. 

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

This fair, but also dangerous. Mings is more than just a defender for us. He is a leader, and we don't have many in the squad. Mcginn is not a leader BTW!

Other than Mings, you have Luiz, Martinez, and Young (who is 36). So we'd need to replace his leadership as well as his squad place. 

The other thing is recruitment is not so simple..Leicester are getting most things right, but how many clubs do? You should only do this if you have the perfect player lined up.

with the way Mings panics, mis-kicks, loses his cool very easily etc, i dont think he is an on the pitch leader either, he talks a good game on twitter, and yes he's vocal on the pitch when everything is going steady, but he doesnt lead by example, he gets as panicked as all the others when the chips are down.

Now that doesnt mean that i dont think he's a good defender, he clearly is good on balance, but he's not a true on the pitch leader for me.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Personally I’d fly from Australia and drive him to Newcastle. Didn’t believe he was the best option for captain and has hit his ceiling.

Common sense dictates next summer would be the better option, but if Newcastle offer silly money and the right player is available, well….

• Like 2

Â