Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Oh dear - sell club captain for 40m and buy imaginary younger centre back for cheaper? 

Assuming this happened in January, would it be the first time a club sold their captain in TWO consecutive transfer windows?

Edited by Beastmix
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's worth noting that Feeney's age overlaps very nicely with Tyrone's.

Mings is just coming into his prime anyway - he's got another 5/6 years left at this level. 

Exactly. I know he has been a bit short of form this season but as a CB he has got a lot years in him still, especially given he didn't play as much when he was younger due to injuries. He is infinitely worth more than £40/50m whatever it is. For a young CB as White shows you can easily pay that for potential and we already have Swinkels and Bogarde coming through and Feeney in the U18s. We are far better off keeping Mings than selling him and allowing the youth players to properly develop. His experience and leadership will be invaluable. 

And it just pleases me so much that he has got an England goal now. I know it was San Marino but hopefully it'll get him scoring for Villa again - it's felt ages since either him or Konsa scored. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

Exactly. I know he has been a bit short of form this season but as a CB he has got a lot years in him still, especially given he didn't play as much when he was younger due to injuries. He is infinitely worth more than £40/50m whatever it is. For a young CB as White shows you can easily pay that for potential and we already have Swinkels and Bogarde coming through and Feeney in the U18s. We are far better off keeping Mings than selling him and allowing the youth players to properly develop. His experience and leadership will be invaluable. 

And it just pleases me so much that he has got an England goal now. I know it was San Marino but hopefully it'll get him scoring for Villa again - it's felt ages since either him or Konsa scored. 

For sure - he's our leader on the pitch and they aren't easy to come by. 

• Like 1

I like Mings, he is a good footballer.

But if the right offer came and we were able to bring in a better player for that position (I don't know if we could) I think a discussion of selling him shouldn't be ridiculed.

The same goes for every player - the only player that I think is above our level right now is Martinez.   

He was playing like a marauding LB/LWB last night, touch and move and all sorts of random ness.

I have suggested in the past, that I'd be open to playing him as an LB/LWB.

As much as he winds me up at times, I defo wouldn't be looking to sell him yet .

He's a part of the fabric of this team.

Then again, it's all unexpected change this season on multiple fronts it appears!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

£

Whilst money would probably be the case for 99% of footballers, I too think Mings would have serious reservations about signing for Newcastle. 

Unless he thinks he could change them from the inside, I don't see him accepting that move. Throw in the fact they'll be in the championship next season and it's not happening. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He was playing like a marauding LB/LWB last night, touch and move and all sorts of random ness.

I have suggested in the past, that I'd be open to playing him as an LB/LWB.

As much as he winds me up at times, I defo wouldn't be looking to sell him yet .

He's a part of the fabric of this team.

Then again, it's all unexpected change this season on multiple fronts it appears!

Agreed, I watched the game, and he played how I love centre-backs to play. Pick it up deep bring it forward and initiate momentum. Nothing too flashy, just being a ball playing defender. Granted it was San Marino, and frankly I have no idea what formation we played (asymmetric 2-3-5?) as it was just a case of batter batter batter.

Whatever is said about Maguire, I do love what he brings to the England squad. Until Mings started to do it last night, I've not seen any of the England CBs really step out of defence with the ball. They certainly didn't at the Euros, and Maguire changed us completely when he came back. 

If Mings can do that at villa without his usual brain-fart every now and again he will be a top, top player. 

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I like Mings, he is a good footballer.

But if the right offer came and we were able to bring in a better player for that position (I don't know if we could) I think a discussion of selling him shouldn't be ridiculed.

The same goes for every player - the only player that I think is above our level right now is Martinez.   

But surely that applies to any of our players.

Surely we start by naming players that would be an upgrade and improve the team, whilst simultaneously wanting to come to a club in the bottom half of the table first.

If we can bring those players in, then why not have them play in the same squad as Tyrone and Ezri anyway, whilst improving on Hause and Axel? 

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Ive just seen the Marca story that Newcastle want Mings.

id honestly take the money if it were something like 40m and reinvest in another younger centre back

The Newcastle manager that made him 4th choice in one of them worst defences in the Premier League 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

But surely that applies to any of our players.

Surely we start by naming players that would be an upgrade and improve the team, whilst simultaneously wanting to come to a club in the bottom half of the table first.

If we can bring those players in, then why not have them play in the same squad as Tyrone and Ezri anyway, whilst improving on Hause and Axel? 

I know, that's why my next sentence said:

The same goes for every player

I made an exception for Martinez, as I think he is the only player that we cannot upgrade on.

Realistically, we are not getting Oblak to join us. BUT, it's realistic for us to have purchased a better defender to improve on Mings.

This would in effect make Mings the next Hause/Axel, a back up player. But I appreciate this is not football manager and it's not as easy as that - Mings is a senior player and if he was benched, he would probably look to move to be a key player somewhere else. 

All I'm trying to say that a discussion on upgrading our key defensive player shouldn't be ridiculed. And this goes for every player in other positions. 

• Like 1

Â