Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

That 8th goal for England, he should be scoring more of for us....but he didn't do much wrong last night.

I think he will be a player, that SG and his team will spend time with.....how that ends, I am not sure.

• Like 1

I really hope Gerrard gets him full of confidence, he really needs it.

I think his 'flamboyancy' on the pitch is something manageable, he has done it before and can do it again.

Go on Tyrone!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't think so. He didn't sign until late in the window on our PL return. If you mean loan then probably, him or Axel?

Axel was already here Bruce brought him in, Hause came in on loan first then Mings

14 hours ago, TRO said:

That 8th goal for England, he should be scoring more of for us....but he didn't do much wrong last night.

I think he will be a player, that SG and his team will spend time with.....how that ends, I am not sure.

He’s been a valuable player for us, we pretty much all know his strengths and weaknesses. His form has dipped this season alongside a lot of others. One of the first tasks for SG and the coaches is to identify why and try to put it right.

We can’t change the personnel for at least 6 weeks and even then the squad isn’t going to change dramatically. I believe the approach will be to get the best out of all the players, particularly the captain. We will need him and the rest to be onboard from day one. 

• Like 4

On 16/11/2021 at 08:13, jacketspuds said:

I remember saying the same thing about Milner. Just think what we could do with £20m and Stephen Ireland.

Turns out I’m an idiot.

He is a far superior player..... still.

Listening to that Downing clip someone posted in one of the threads, he said Ireland was quality in training but used to have some sort of mental block when it came to games, especially against certain teams that he'd struggled against in the past. Hinted that he'd drop out of games when he wasn't confident about putting in a good performance.

30 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I think the opposite. If Gerrard can reduce his over confidence and get him to concentrate on the basics more then Mings would be a much better player. He seems to think he's pirlo on the ball. 

There'll be no sentiment from Gerrard with Mings, or any player come to that. They're all unproven to Gerrard and the coaches. The amount of costly error Mings has won't be tolerated especially given that Gerrard will be given more money to send to bring his own players in. FYI, I'm not saying Mings shouldn't start for us, he should, and we're better with him, but that doesn't mean he can't, nor shouldn't, improve. Hope we get back to him and Konsa at CB.

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think the opposite. If Gerrard can reduce his over confidence and get him to concentrate on the basics more then Mings would be a much better player. He seems to think he's pirlo on the ball. 

I just think he has a propensity to choose the less safe option from time to time. Maybe because he's confident (not a bad thing), or maybe because he thinks it's the unexpected option.

I think that what Gerrard could do is to drill into him to opt for the safer option more often and I hope he does.

£40m for Mings would be an incredible deal for Aston Villa. The biggest problem, aside from the obviously one of selling one of your best centre halves in January, is that nobody in their right mind is paying £40m for him. 

It's not even that I dislike Mings, I think he's a good, if flawed, defender for where we are. It's just not realistic to expect that kinda dough for him. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

41 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Except we obviously could replace him with £40m because that's roughly double what we paid for him the first place. 

We didn't buy the player he is now for 20m. 

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 1

Â