Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I heard the commentary of the first goal as i was driving home to watch the match on TV...the radio said he switched off and was day-dreaming.

We all know he does it, he's got one of them in him every game. 

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I heard the commentary of the first goal as i was driving home to watch the match on TV...the radio said he switched off and was day-dreaming.

More than one today. He's the defensive weak link in my book. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's the defensive weak link in my book. 

Careful there buddy you'll get slaughtered for opinions like that on here.

You are absolutely right though. If we have aspirations for Europe we need a better defender next to Konsa.

Would be interesting to hear how the talk goes at training and behind closed doors at games because I'm certain that if Terry was playing alongside Mings he would chew his head off for the way he plays sometimes, his lapses in concentration, his walkabouts, his overconfidence and his attitude when we play poorer sides. Terry would not stand for any of that if they were partnered together when he was at his prime.

Not shading Terry as a coach but it would be interesting to hear what is said. 

I think he has just been overrated for a while now and he’s still living off his immense performance for us on loan. In my opinion it’s a minor miracle he plays for England. Without competition he quite literally sleepwalks into our team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Defense were playing a very high line and got caught napping 🤦‍♂️

He’s always been prone to massive lapses in concentration that usually result in us conceding goals. And takes way too long on the ball which results in our players getting marked and any chance of fast build up fading away. It’s almost as if he deliberately takes lots more time on the ball than he needs in order to appear super calm and composed whereas it hinders us. 

He’s also barely ever a threat from set pieces going forwards. Konsa is far surpassing him. 

Really love having big Ty at our club and he’s a model pro in so many ways. Just needs much more improvement to reach a higher more consistent level.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Careful there buddy you'll get slaughtered for opinions like that on here.

You are absolutely right though. If we have aspirations for Europe we need a better defender next to Konsa.

Not his best game today. Complete hyperbole to say he is our weak link in defence and needs replacing. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman said:

Defense were playing a very high line and got caught napping 🤦‍♂️

Think we got carried away with our own hype - everyone just thought it was a case of attacking and scoring a few goals. That break was a rude awakening but hopefully the lesson sticks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indigo said:

So much of the criticism Mings gets is unquantifiable nonsense. It's so weird.

Really? I think he gets away very lightly a lot of the time personally and has done for the last 12 months because we all love him from the promotion and because he is clearly a really good guy. In fact I think he gets away with a huge amount compared to almost anyone else in team. As for the nature of the criticism, granted a lot of it isn't quantified when people say he has played poorly but it isn't nonsense.

But I'll happily quantify some areas I think are valid.

He goes wondering and gets caught out of position. He doesn't dominate the back four and boss it as he should as the senior defender in the back four. He quite frequently is careless in possession of the ball either in terms of getting caught on it or in his passing. I think his concentration can be poor and I think his head quite frequently goes after an error and another follows. I think drifts wider than he should at times.

Now he quite clearly has plenty of positives about his game and  at times is great for us but what I find weird is that so many seem to never highlight his failings, errors or poor performances. Now I find that weird when other players are hammered. He was really poor today, he was poor against Southampton, poor against Leeds and there have been other examples.

He needs to raise his game, stop chewing gum and be a little more focussed because ever since his England call up last season I think his form has been patchy.

• Like 3

He's done well for us and will continue to have good games but there's always a lapse against a team with mobile front 3. As Trent says above we all wanted him to be as brilliant in the prem as he was in championship run in but he's just below that, still a decent mid tier prem CB which is enough to get you a regular England game these days.

Would be interested where people rate him in list of our best CBs. Can only go late 90s and post God era but he's a long way off Melberg, Laursen, Ugo and Southgate for me. More Vlaar standard.

Edited by VillaChris

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He's done well for us and will continue to have good games but there's always a lapse against a team with mobile front 3. As Trent says above we all wanted him to be as brilliant in the prem as he was in championship run in but he's just below that, still a decent mid tier prem CB which is enough to get you a regular England game these days.

Would be interested where people rate him in list of our best CBs. Can only go late 90s and post God era but he's a long way off Melberg, Laursen, Ugo and Southgate for me. More Vlaar standard.

I go back to mid to late 80's, I don't think he would be in my top 10.

• Like 1

Let's be fair though, Konsa deserves as much stick for the first goal. What in earth was he doing there, so far up the pitch and so far to the left? 

Why do we have three players within 2 square meters all going for the ball? 

Shambolic defending, absolutely disgusting. Mings deserves his portion of blame, but he surely isn't alone. 

IMG_20201122_002109.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â