Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, Tom13 said:

When he's bad, he is horrific. Couldn't quite believe just how horrific he was tonight mind!

Yep it genuinely looks like Walker is no longer interested. Given any fouls and penalties for city recently as well. 

Mings had a decent enough game, but does still have the odd error. Unlucky with the deflected goal

1 hour ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Seeing him marauding forward the last couple of games has almost made me want us to try a back 3. I was so desperate for that backheel to be an assist.

I almost had a seizure reading this. Mings already makes a few of those runs for us, especially when we're losing. Pretty sure he did it against both Leeds and Southampton.

We really don't need to sacrifice our AM for another CB for him to be able to do it. Watching England play has soured me against that system, maybe forever.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

I almost had a seizure reading this. Mings already makes a few of those runs for us, especially when we're losing. Pretty sure he did it against both Leeds and Southampton.

We really don't need to sacrifice our AM for another CB for him to be able to do it. Watching England play has soured me against that system, maybe forever.

Look just before the bit you bolded and you'll see the word "almost"!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Look just before the bit you bolded and you'll see the word "almost"!

Haha I did see that, I know you don't actually want it to happen, it was the mere suggestion of us ditching the system that has made us the most exciting team in the league (imo) for the system that has stifled England's embarrassment of riches to 1 (deflected) goal from open play for the entire NL group stage that made my eyes bleed.

20 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Haha I did see that, I know you don't actually want it to happen, it was the mere suggestion of us ditching the system that has made us the most exciting team in the league (imo) for the system that has stifled England's embarrassment of riches to 1 (deflected) goal from open play for the entire NL group stage that made my eyes bleed.

I'm really not a fan of how Southgate plays, I just enjoy seeing a player I like bursting forwards from the back when I don't really care about the result. I'm certainly not advocating dropping Barkley for Hause and McGinn for Nakamba!

48 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Back 3 will always be a negative system. The goal of football is outscore your opponent. When you sacrifice a midfielder or attacker to start another CB that is by default a negative, defensive action. 

In the last ten years Chelsea were the only league winners to play a back 3. 

Brazil was the last World Cup champion in 2002 to play with a back 3. Their 2 world class wing backs in Cafu and Roberto Carlos were key to that system. 

A back 3 can be used temporarily to cover for injuries in the back. Leicester is doing that right now with both their starting CBs out. Using it as a permanent session will almost always place an artificial ceiling on your team's progress. 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Coady and Maguire would be my centre backs if England went for a 4-3-3

Mings is decent but not quite good enough as a starter for England for me. He has the tendency to just switch off at times and lacks concentration. Big flaw in his game.

Yet you would play maguire

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Back 3 will always be a negative system. The goal of football is outscore your opponent. When you sacrifice a midfielder or attacker to start another CB that is by default a negative, defensive action. 

In the last ten years Chelsea were the only league winners to play a back 3. 

Brazil was the last World Cup champion in 2002 to play with a back 3. Their 2 world class wing backs in Cafu and Roberto Carlos were key to that system. 

A back 3 can be used temporarily to cover for injuries in the back. Leicester is doing that right now with both their starting CBs out. Using it as a permanent session will almost always place an artificial ceiling on your team's progress. 

That is wrong. It isn't a negative system. Dortmund use it and they are probably the 2nd most prolific team in Europe.

Belgium use it and are the nunbe rone team in the world.

The issue is that Southgate uses it to get an extra defender on the pitch and then plays 2dms insetad of using it to get an extra winger on the pitch like Belgium or dortmund do. Dortmund play guerrero Belgium, play hazard England play chillwell and trippier. It looks alright when saka plays there. And if the midfield wasn't so negative it could even be a progressive formation even if I'm not a big fan. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Good news for us, but why has Mings been dropped for the Iceland game when he was our best defender against Belgium? Bizarre.

You'd think Southgate could at least pick CBs well but apparently not. Nothing encapsulates the shitness of this England regime as well as Eric Dire turn back towards his own goal every time he gets the ball because he can't use his left foot

57 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Good news for us, but why has Mings been dropped for the Iceland game when he was our best defender against Belgium? Bizarre.

Dier has to play. Why nobody knows but he has to

Â