Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

anyone else think Mings could play the DM role for us?

He's big, strong, quick, can pass a bit, any minor lapses might not be punished as badly as a CD.

Not saying he should, but i think he could for sure.

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

Wouldn’t be VT without someone trying to stick a centre back who can pass a bit into defensive mid - I still remember someone legitimately suggesting we should try James Collins there.

Smith needs his DM to tick play over, be open to take the ball off the back four and pass first time. It’s why Hourihane could play there in the Championship but not the Prem (doesn’t have the time to always shift onto his left foot anymore), and a large part of why Dougie is so good there and Nakamba... well, isn’t.

Mings is playing some of the best football of his career, remember Konsa has more first-team matches at centre half than him. I’d play McGinn or even Cash at DM before I tried Mings in midfield.

Yeah i think cash would be very good there. A lot of pundits reckon his future would be as a CM. So I think we should maybe try him out there in the future. 

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah i think cash would be very good there. A lot of pundits reckon his future would be as a CM. So I think we should maybe try him out there in the future. 

He was a midfielder before he moved to RB actually.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Very comfortable 60 minute run out for him.  With Coady out and Maguire suspended, he’ll likely start the next game.   Just stay injury free please 🙏

I forgot Maguire was suspended for the next match. Well reminded! So with Coady and Gomez out, and Maguire suspended surely he starts the next match at least. Likely we will see Keane - Dier - Mings as the back 3. 

• Like 1

Just now, villan-scott said:

I forgot Maguire was suspended for the next match. Well reminded! So with Coady and Gomez out, and Maguire suspended surely he starts the next match at least. Likely we will see Keane - Dier - Mings as the back 3. 

Yep good shout, I was thinking we may have to play a back four but Dier can play in that position, so we’ll probably go with what you suggest.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Yep good shout, I was thinking we may have to play a back four but southgate will play Dier in that position even though he is woefully incapable of playing there, so we’ll probably go with what you suggest.

FTFY

At least one of the three will be left footed this time, so the formation may actually work against a better side like Belgium.  It shouldn't even be a consideration against any country outside the top 5 in the world

• Like 1

He had a good game. 

Compare him to Keane - one was playing left CB in a 3, the other was on the right. One was dynamic, got forward and was a threat in open play and recycled the ball well (albeit with 1 too many long balls); the other was a lump of a lamppost, who waddled forward for corners.

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

He had a good game. 

Compare him to Keane - one was playing left CB in a 3, the other was on the right. One was dynamic, got forward and was a threat in open play and recycled the ball well (albeit with 1 too many long balls); the other was a lump of a lamppost, who waddled forward for corners.

But which one would have impressed Southgate more 😉

• Sad 1

One thing overlooked about Mings is how inexperienced he actually is at senior level. 27 years old and has about 170 senior games in his career with a season and a half at centre back. 

Still more development to go, Konsa has actually played more professional league games

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

One thing overlooked about Mings is how inexperienced he actually is at senior level. 27 years old and has about 170 senior games in his career with a season and a half at centre back. 

Still more development to go, Konsa has actually played more professional league games

Crazy when its laid out for you like that, hope we can keep this lot and add world class quality to complete the squad next couple of windows,if we can then I smell a trophy or two.

Â