Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

He does that, constantly. You posted about 10 times today about his appearance on the field. At least be objective with your criticism. Call out his lackadaisical dribbling or his casual drifting back into defense. Hell, get annoyed that deflections off him often seem to head towards the goal instead of away from it. Not this petulant nonsense of "he looks too cool" on the field. 

He does though. He is the most self aware man going. He is one stop from Patrick Bateman flexing his guns and winking at his reflection after a tackle.

He can be as arrogant and preen himself as much as he likes, if he stops giving the ball away needlessly and standing pointing in the box but not actually marking anyone. Hey, Brainiac, your team should be watching their man, not where you point. 

I'd love for Terry to pull him to one side and say "Every time you showboat in defence for no reason, you're donating 10k to charity".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I would.be very happy to sell him if Arsenal or someone came in for him.

We can do so much better than Tyrone Mings.

Too far, IMO. Not many sides outside of the expected top 6 have better CBs than Mings. He's not perfect. He's not as good as he thinks he is. He's probably not good enough if we want to be a top 6 side. But right now, with our squad, is he one of the main problems? Not for my money.

Depth up front, better options on the wings, a better CM and a better LB are all a priority before upgrading Mings, for me. 

• Like 3

He has his moments (and he has a big one pretty much every game), but it's actually nice having centre backs and a goalkeeper who are comfortable on the ball and properly allow us to play from the back.

(FWIW, the one time he messed around and lost the ball leading to a corner, I genuinely don't know why the West Ham player (Bowen?) wasn't given offside).

• Like 1

Could be very good, and thought he’d left that carelessness in pre-lockdown. Still a very decent player, played some decent stuff out from the back tonight. Cut out the occasional suicidal casualness and he’s very worthy of his England shirt. Would like to see more commanding urgency and less of the attitude at times though.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

He does that, constantly. You posted about 10 times today about his appearance on the field. At least be objective with your criticism. Call out his lackadaisical dribbling or his casual drifting back into defense. Hell, get annoyed that deflections off him often seem to head towards the goal instead of away from it. Not this petulant nonsense of "he looks too cool" on the field. 

Sorry mate, I was just trying to lighten the mood and I’m sure it was just this post and 1 other in the post match thread.

I think it is objective and valid though. I’d prefer if when the ball went out of play TM would use those seconds to run into position, organise those around him, maybe few words of motivation to keep the intensity high. Not Mr Casual at the Tyrone Mings show. He’s not good enough for that.

Compare him to Konsa or several of our other players. They look like they are wired, pumped, looking for danger or the next opportunity. This guy looks like he’s having a kick about with his kids (if he has any?) in the garden.

Edited by Genie

I don't think he needs replacing. He is a good player, but he thinks he is better than he is. The most frustrating thing for me is that, even when he plays the correct pass (i.e. give a simple ten yard pass to Luiz or Targett), he always takes five too many touches to do so.

We thrive on building attacks quickly and if one player is going to do that with a long ball, it is Dougie Luiz, not Mings. One of the key roles of a good defender is to give the ball to better players quickly. Mings fails to do this the majority of the time, and when he does look for a quick ball, he usually gives it to the opposition right-back for a throw-in. Move the ball quicker, get rid of it when it danger.

Also his 50p head continues to annoy me. Use your forehead!

Aside from that, he is fine lol...

He can't concentrate, he's not brave, he loses his man too often, and quite what he thinks he's doing at corners, is anybody's guess.  Apart from that, he has all the attributes you need to be a top class central defender.

Â