Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

20 hours ago, WooJung said:

The way I see it he has no business trying to win the ball in that position. He's the right centre half. There were mings and Luiz there already. If he stays in his position then he can run back to try to contrast welbeck's run. 

The back line as a whole has no business staying that high up the pitch. 

I agree with this. Not sure why Mings is the only one getting blamed. That incident aside I don’t think he was that bad.   

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

On 22/11/2020 at 01:10, maqroll said:

I like Mings. But he's overrated and needs to improve if Villa are to improve. 

We need an upgrade on Mings.  He has as many bad games as he does good ones, and he drops a really bad ricket almost every game.  Loses his man far too easily, and can't concentrate for 90 minutes.  Konsa seems to be working hard at his game and is steadily improving.  Mings thinks he's much better than he actually is, and is really inconsistent and unreliable.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Risso said:

We need an upgrade on Mings. 

I agree with your post but we won't be able to find an upgrade on him easily. He cost £20m+ for a reason, and that reason is that there is a dearth of centre backs available at the moment. Blockhead was £80m! 

17 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How does this even happen 😂 

In fairness, it's a throw-in on that side of the pitch, deep in their territory.  Both Welbeck and Maupay are over there - you can see them in the image - and both our centre backs are up with them with Cash deeper to cover a switch to the opposite flank.  There's nothing wrong with that setup to be honest.

However... whilst Konsa stays on Maupay the entire time, Mings tracks Welbeck as he moves to win a header (which is actually contested with Targett) and then completely switches off and is ball watching as Welbeck turns in behind and runs through on goal.

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I agree with your post but we won't be able to find an upgrade on him easily. He cost £20m+ for a reason, and that reason is that there is a dearth of centre backs available at the moment. Blockhead was £80m! 

That's kinda it. He is not perfect, but he's a very good CB. England international. And has been very solid and dependable for us. Average alternatives costs £40 million+.  He isn't any where close to being a problem for us.

I think there’s a reason why we’ve looked relatively defensively sound against the likes of Leicester, Arsenal, Liverpool etc, and yet conceded for fun against Leeds, Southampton, and Brighton. And I think that reason is a mindset, an underestimation of an opponent. An arrogance, if you like. So it’s our approach to certain games that results in us shooting ourselves in the foot, rather than individual poor performance. It seems to me that the game plan in the home games against “lesser” opposition is to go out and attack, attack, attack.......which I think is proving to be naive and wasteful. We need to be careful that we don’t waste a fantastic start by throwing points away where we ought to be getting something. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That's kinda it. He is not perfect, but he's a very good CB. England international. And has been very solid and dependable for us. Average alternatives costs £40 million+.  He isn't any where close to being a problem for us.

He's probably cost us more goals over the past season and a half than anybody else.  And England international centre half isn't much of an accolade these days.  Of the recognised first 11, I'd say alongside Trez and Targett, he's one that needs replacing in the next couple of windows if we really want to progress.  If he played like he does for us for another Premier League team, we wouldn't be queuing up to buy him now.

I think I've seen him save us more than anyone else as well, so goes both ways. He's not perfect, but people are expecting a bit too much here. He's doing generally very well for us. All players have dips in form. 

He wasn't good last match, but he was bloody brilliant compared to Luiz and McGinn. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

In fairness, it's a throw-in on that side of the pitch, deep in their territory.  Both Welbeck and Maupay are over there - you can see them in the image - and both our centre backs are up with them with Cash deeper to cover a switch to the opposite flank.  There's nothing wrong with that setup to be honest.

However... whilst Konsa stays on Maupay the entire time, Mings tracks Welbeck as he moves to win a header (which is actually contested with Targett) and then completely switches off and is ball watching as Welbeck turns in behind and runs through on goal.

Except defenders don't man mark in the opposing half. There is absolutely no reason to get that high up the pitch for a throw-in. That's asking for trouble and it's a team mistake. However some are more to blame than others, Konsa most than any as he was completely out of position, leaving a huge gap behind us. Mings secondly, as he also showed a lack of awareness. Cash, has a good view so he probably should've stayed a few meters back to cover. Targett isn't really doing much wrong. 

It’s crazy fans are talking about needing an upgrade on Mings. What we need first and foremost is a centre half that can come in and do a job if either Mings and Konsa get injured because at the moment if either of them do we are screwed. Then we can think about spending the big money on an upgrade.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2020 at 23:27, TrentVilla said:

No, Nonsa is trying to win the ball Mings is ball watching and lets a man run off him.

Every Picture tells a story......

1. 3 players on 1 and still they can't get the ball.
  2. what on earth are the 2 centre backs doing there.....you would get bawled at, at pub football for that.
  3. why is our player social distancing behind wellbeck, surely he can see the potential danger, if the ball gets played to him.

its a comedy of errors.....our positional play generally at times is questionable.

On 21/11/2020 at 23:23, WooJung said:

Let's be fair though, Konsa deserves as much stick for the first goal. What in earth was he doing there, so far up the pitch and so far to the left? 

Why do we have three players within 2 square meters all going for the ball? 

Shambolic defending, absolutely disgusting. Mings deserves his portion of blame, but he surely isn't alone. 

IMG_20201122_002109.jpg

Looks to me like Konsa has maupay who is laying the ball back. He can't leave maupay to go into that area and have Mings up against both strikers. He has to follow. Welbeck, who scores the goal, is Mings man clearly behind him there. Mings should sense the danger and drop in deeper 5 yards to cover any run his man makes. If he had done that, it's not an option to play the through ball. And there would be no danger.

On 21/11/2020 at 23:23, WooJung said:

Let's be fair though, Konsa deserves as much stick for the first goal. What in earth was he doing there, so far up the pitch and so far to the left? 

Why do we have three players within 2 square meters all going for the ball? 

Shambolic defending, absolutely disgusting. Mings deserves his portion of blame, but he surely isn't alone. 

IMG_20201122_002109.jpg

wow, thats worse than the other angles i saw.

the LCD and RCD, along with the DM all within 2 feet of each other, on the far left of the pitch 15-20 yards beyond the half way line.

so Welbeck is basically out of shot, near the half way line entirely by himself.

That is seriously bad defending, sunday league stuff, and im not hyperbolic there......its literally something a few 16 year olds wouldnt do in 99.9% of situations.

i literally dont understand how the defence and DM(s) have allowed themselves to get in such a mess, its pea brain stuff.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

I think, to be fair to Mings, he's just come back from playing in a game against Iceland where he and Maguire were playing Inside Left and Inside Right respectively.  Maybe not the best preparation for a tough banana skin against an established PL side with some quality!

He needs to get the England thing out of his a lot quicker after international breaks.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Risso said:

We need an upgrade on Mings.  He has as many bad games as he does good ones, and he drops a really bad ricket almost every game.  Loses his man far too easily, and can't concentrate for 90 minutes.  Konsa seems to be working hard at his game and is steadily improving.  Mings thinks he's much better than he actually is, and is really inconsistent and unreliable.

I don't think we need to replace him, but get someone in who will genuinely put his position under threat. He has zero competition right now to play alongside konsa and knows he is one of the first names on the teamsheet. Would be interesting to see hom have to fight for his place. I realise the problem tho is we will have to fork out big buxks for that

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

Looks to me like Konsa has maupay who is laying the ball back. He can't leave maupay to go into that area and have Mings up against both strikers. He has to follow. Welbeck, who scores the goal, is Mings man clearly behind him there. Mings should sense the danger and drop in deeper 5 yards to cover any run his man makes. If he had done that, it's not an option to play the through ball. And there would be no danger.

Of course he can leave Maupay, they were almost in their third of the pitch.

A right sided centre back has no business trying to win the ball back in that position, especially when there are already 4 teammates there. 

If the exact same thing were to happen on the right side of the pitch with mings being in that position he would get SLAUGHTERED on here. 

We all love and rate Konsa but when he messes up it's only fair to call it out 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Risso said:

He's probably cost us more goals over the past season and a half than anybody else.  And England international centre half isn't much of an accolade these days.  Of the recognised first 11, I'd say alongside Trez and Targett, he's one that needs replacing in the next couple of windows if we really want to progress.  If he played like he does for us for another Premier League team, we wouldn't be queuing up to buy him now.

But at the same time he is responsible for saving probably 2 or 3 times as many. He had a bad game but he was clearly exhausted he looked laboured for most of the game and for that welbeck goal normally mings would have closed that distance down but was struggling to build up speed. 

13 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

I think there’s a reason why we’ve looked relatively defensively sound against the likes of Leicester, Arsenal, Liverpool etc, and yet conceded for fun against Leeds, Southampton, and Brighton. And I think that reason is a mindset, an underestimation of an opponent. An arrogance, if you like. So it’s our approach to certain games that results in us shooting ourselves in the foot, rather than individual poor performance. It seems to me that the game plan in the home games against “lesser” opposition is to go out and attack, attack, attack.......which I think is proving to be naive and wasteful. We need to be careful that we don’t waste a fantastic start by throwing points away where we ought to be getting something. 

Nail head on. Words to that effect.

Â