Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

I'm far more concerned about the fee we spent on Wesley than what we are supposedly spending on Mings. Assuming no injuries, which any player could get (see Nilis), then we're pretty much guaranteed a great player in Mings. He's known to the squad, he's settled, he's played in the league before and he's desperate to be here. Actually this is far less of a gamble than Wesley so what's the issue?

But even if we didn't get a great deal then we can comfort ourselves by knowing we got McGinn for a steal - I think we're up on value overall! And that's always going to be the case, some you win, some you lose. Some gems are found, some big players flop. You just hope you're generally on the right side of value as a SQUAD and that hasn't been the case in recent years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, abdomlahor said:

£15m. Yes, I would ask for more because I want to make as much profit as possible. Not because I believe he's worth it, but because I want lots of money to buy more players with. 

:lol: And if you exchange your "I" for "Bournemouth", you perfectly illustrate the point he is making, simultaneously agree with it and are some way to understanding what has happened over the last few weeks.

49 minutes ago, privateer said:

:lol: And if you exchange your "I" for "Bournemouth", you perfectly illustrate the point he is making, simultaneously agree with it and are some way to understanding what has happened over the last few weeks.

of course every team wants to maximise their profit. it's just that for me there's too much risk paying that for him, but i do understand why we did. i just think we could have leveraged the fact he wanted to come here and stuck it out until the end of the window to force their hand on it a little bit more.

Whether or not we paid overs will be determined at the end of the season I guess. 

With Bournemouth I guess you can't blame them for extracting maximum value for their asset but I'm sure what goes around comes around in this business. They may find us far less than accommodating should they find themselves in a position to need us to play ball with them. 

I think we have overpaid for Mings but it is an inflated market, £20m used to be a lot of money, it’s chump change these days. Without Mings, we might not be in the Premier League, in my opinion, he was that good for us last season, he came in and transformed the defence. How we’ve paid £3m for Kortney Hause and £20m for Mings, there’s such a big difference between the fees of the 2 players. I’d like to see a right sided centre back come in now, along with a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder if the funds are there. Mings has only played a handful of games for Bournemouth in the top flight, he’s relatively unproven but I think Smith has known about Mings and his capabilities for some time, inspired signing

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

They have agreed a fee. Both clubs. And he is progressing his career.

YOU deem it disrespectful because YOU deem the fee too high. That's ridiculous. 

On reflection, I still think I made some valid statements regarding the practicalities of Mings' situation and transfer.

Here's another I believe to be apt, was there a single other club that was going to pay 20million for Mings this window?

If not, then this transfer and the fee involved is based more on wishful thinking than anything concrete. I say that even being chuffed that he's with us.

And BTW, just because something transpires between two parties doesn't automatically deem it ethical and respectful. But we won't go down that path.

I responded calling your comment fair originally, and most of it is, both clubs did agree a fee, he is progressing..

However, the rest has misrepresented my post, I only highlighted that Bournemouth were making the most of an asset, which they are entitled to do, as I said..

I suggested that it may've been more respectful to take into account the practicalities that I've repeatedly stated..

Perhaps adjusted the fee to reflect that and not just based the sum on what they could get away given the opportunity they found themselves with.

If another club was going to pay that for Mings, then sure by all means my comments are unfounded.

If you want to believe my comments were ridiculous, I suppose that's your interpretation. I understand the term differently perhaps.

You state it as a matter of fact that I'm being ridiculous, whilst highlighting the YOU in your previous sentences. I hope you see what I'm saying on that point.

Many Villa fans:

"ANNOUNCE MINGS!!!"

"Get it done seasons almost starting."

"Pay whatever it takes, just get it done."

Mings reportedly signs for fee quoted varying 18.9-26.5 million. 

Same fans as above:

"It's too much!"

"We've been taken to the cleaners."

"He's not worth that much!"

• Confused 1

Don't see what the big deal is here. Sure, we're arguably paying a little over the odds, but we've got Hause at a good price and El Ghazi was an absolute steal.

All three at well under 30 million quid all up? Gotta be happy with that.

• Like 3

He was worth around 12 million if we were still in the Championship, so 20 million sounds about right for the Premier League. I feel we paid over the odds for him knowing his injuries in the past, but he stays health and pushes us up the league next season it will be money well spent.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we have overpaid for Mings but it is an inflated market, £20m used to be a lot of money, it’s chump change these days. Without Mings, we might not be in the Premier League, in my opinion, he was that good for us last season, he came in and transformed the defence. How we’ve paid £3m for Kortney Hause and £20m for Mings, there’s such a big difference between the fees of the 2 players. I’d like to see a right sided centre back come in now, along with a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder if the funds are there. Mings has only played a handful of games for Bournemouth in the top flight, he’s relatively unproven but I think Smith has known about Mings and his capabilities for some time, inspired signing

oh yeah finger pointing GIF by X Factor Global

• Haha 1

Bournemouth have played a blinder to be fair. Remember they refused to agree an option to buy into the initial loan. They knew the potential was there with Mings if he could stay fit and play a run of games that they could command a fee like this, trebling their initial outlay on him, having only played a handful of games for them. Good business for them but its a rare transfer in that both parties and sets of fans appear over the moon.

57 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Many Villa fans:

"ANNOUNCE MINGS!!!"

"Get it done seasons almost starting."

"Pay whatever it takes, just get it done."

Mings reportedly signs for fee quoted varying 18.9-26.5 million. 

Same fans as above:

"It's too much!"

"We've been taken to the cleaners."

"He's not worth that much!"

Is it though?

There never seems to be a shortage of people pointing out how fickle us fans are. Yet most of the time it is different people and different opinions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

Is it though?

There never seems to be a shortage of people pointing out how fickle us fans are. Yet most of the time it is different people and different opinions.

That's not what I'd describe as fickle more contrarian. It was obviously tongue in cheek as well

Providing all goes well here, I can’t wait to read Tyrone’s quotes on the official website once signed. He’s so passionate about the Villa you can just tell! Hopefully welcome Tyrone!

Just remember the many many many cheaper terrible signings we have made and be grateful that we are in a position to sign someone we know works for us for about £5m more than he’s probably worth. What exactly would we do with that £5m anyway???

• Like 2

Â