Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this to me is us not "doing a Fulham"

we're paying to keep the band together, whether or not that's overpaying will be judged at the end of the season not the start, the only concern for me is his injury record but the club employ a team of qualified professionals who know more about that than me

the other benefit to us buying these loan players is the worst case scenario...you would like to think if we do go down he's here for the long run, he's not using us as a shop window or going to be mardy if we are shit next season or then go missing because he doesn't care

Bournemouth knew his value to us and inflated his price, fair play to them, we paid it because we can, nothing more to see here

So a bit like when they signed Mitrovic? 😉

Edited by sne
  • Haha 1

I don't get all this fickelness (if there is such I word!)...

When the team line up last season was announced before the games under DS last season, the first two names I wanted to see on the team sheet was Jack and McGinn, the next name I looked for was Mings. If Mings was in the team I felt happy as whenever I saw him play he was commanding and committed to the Villa cause.

All those here now moaning that he is too much money or injury prone, well any player can pick up an injury and be out for a few games, McGinn is going to get booked this season and eventually be suspended so he will be out for a few games.

We need to trust the back room team - I know in the recent past Villa have been very poor at identifying, recruiting and overpaying for rubbish players and I am not going to name these players as it will take too long.  We need to trust that the professionals now in charge of Villa are not the shameful amateurs that we have had to put up with for the last 10 years, and it is difficult to make that transition into trusting the new set up but I have seen no evidence so far to suggest that they are incompetent......

Finally what is this "Premier League experience?" and why is it so important?  Not required for McGinn was it?, We regularly had larger gates than many clubs in the Premier League last season , and outside European games and the FA cup (that we never win these days), playing in the play off semi finals and final are huge games. Our players will be ready DS, JT and the back room team will see to that.

VTID

Regards to all

Del

11 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

wE sHoUlD HAvE juSt bOUghT a CHeAPer sIgNiNg fRoM aBroAD 

I just used the capitals to decipher that you're suggesting this guy as an alternative: Ehuides Outchapn Nmbad - which club/country does he play for? ;)

Pay 25m for a player that already loves the club and we know what he can offer? 

Or save 10m or so for a player from Europe that may or may not settle in the league? 

It’s shit that we’ve had to pay over the loads but I think it had to be done.

• Like 1

25m would be too much there's no doubt but we needed this signing.

There's still a chance that his commanding performances in the championship won't translate into the premier league, according to Bournemouth fans he won't based on what they saw but then again they would say that wouldn't they. For me he just looked for too good on the ball to not be a good defender even in the prem.

• Like 1

For all those saying we could have got better for less....How do you know? The facts are nobody knows anything until history is written. Unless your name is Nostradamus! 

We could have spent 10-15m on another highly sort after player for them to flop. Just as we have seen before at our club.

You could lso look at it another way and say that Mings has already returned on half his fee helping us get back up.

Edited by avfc1982am

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Pay 25m for a player that already loves the club and we know what he can offer? 

Or save 10m or so for a player from Europe that may or may not settle in the league? 

It’s shit that we’ve had to pay over the loads but I think it had to be done.

came on to post pretty much this. worth an extra 5m at least for a player that already knows the players, coaches etc

• Like 1

Still seen no suggestions for alternative defenders we could realistically buy that would on paper be perceived as better value. 

The stat has been doing the rounds but probably worth pointing out, Burnley spent £15m on Ben Gibson. He played one league match last season. 

That’s the market we’re in.

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Even with mings I think we are short at cb. If he picks up a injury our options are very limited.

also agree with this. need 1 more...and personally i'd be happy if that's cahil

Another important point on why we simply had to get this signing over the line,  no matter the cost,  is continuance in the starting line up from last year.  

A quick look at the probable opening line up against spurs will have 7 debuts, too many when considering we really need to hit the ground running here; Without mings however only 3 players will start that started the po final, including not one player in the back 6. 

The job of staying up will be difficult enough as it is, paying a few million over the odds for mings could prove to be smart business if he can help settle the team a bit earlier. 

He was vital whatever the cost imo!

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I doubt we are done mate. Expect at least one more centre half to be signed. Hopefully Cahill.

I think we need two because of how Chester is. We Don't know if he is finished or how many games he can tolerate.

At present we only have Hause, mings (potentially) and a fragile chester

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

Â