Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Not all that bothered by the transfer fee, we had to pay what he was worth to us, I'd happily pay £20m-£30m for any key player and I don't think anyone disputes he is key to how we want the defence to set up and play, and that sets the tone for the rest of the team. It would of been nice to pay what he was worth to Bournemouth, but they are no pushovers, fair play to them for getting top money for their player.

Having said all of that I really don't get people saying 'it isn't our money so it doesn't matter'. It really does matter, the financial state of our club is very important and to wilfully ignore large outgoings is criminal. We are only six months removed from having 1 center back, Bolasie on £80k a week or whatever it was, with Richards and McCormack still on the books, staring down a FFP black hole.

I know the owners are different, more professional people, but that doesn't mean they will be with the club forever. Anything can happen in life and the fans need to ensure the owners are accountable for the club being run in a sustainable manner.

Back on topic.

Welcome big man, for good this time 😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd be very happy with Mings back, think he was terrific for us last season in the Championship.

He clearly likes it here and us fans love him already.

He seem like a great guy and plays with passion, already knows the manager and some of the players and is in the right age.

However, as I've mentioned many times I think the way he plays might get exposed a bit in the PL where teams and players are better at pressing defenders and faster at closing down. He can be a bit lackadaisical with the ball and that has to stop. Sure he can do that thou.

There is also his horrific injury history that kept him out of football for 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Then there is the price. We are clearly desperate and Bournemouth know it. Even in today's market paying £20-25m for their 5th choice CB is farcical.

There are as stated above cons to this signing so not really too fussed if we end up paying too much.

But then again I do worry a bit since IMO we payed way too much for both Wesley and Targett, even in today's inflated market

Edited by sne

1 minute ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Not all that bothered by the transfer fee, we had to pay what he was worth to us, I'd happily pay £20m-£30m for any key player and I don't think anyone disputes he is key to how we want the defence to set up and play, and that sets the tone for the rest of the team. It would of been nice to pay what he was worth to Bournemouth, but they are no pushovers, fair play to them for getting top money for their player.

Having said all of that I really don't get people saying 'it isn't our money so it doesn't matter'. It really does matter, the financial state of our club is very important and to wilfully ignore large outgoings is criminal. We are only six months removed from having 1 center back, Bolasie on £80k a week or whatever it was, with Richards and McCormack still on the books, staring down a FFP black hole.

I know the owners are different, more professional people, but that doesn't mean they will be with the club forever. Anything can happen in life and the fans need to ensure the owners are accountable for the club being run in a sustainable manner.

Back on topic.

Welcome big man, for good this time 😍

An excellent, balanced post.

When it comes down to it, 99.99% of Villa fans wanted us to sign Mings on a permanent, so anything we discuss about the fee is just a debate that can be had and will probably be forgotten.

Players fees should always matter. Irrespective of how wealthy our new owners are, the fans should always have a brief look at the financial side of things, because seeing everything with our claret & blue specs on saw us daydream towards administration under Dr Xia, and although that's not going to happen now, plenty of wealthy owners have left clubs before, and the state that a club is left in is vitally important.

• Like 1

Assume the delay in signing was us negotiating with Bournemouth and playing it calm to try and get a reduction of the quoted fee. Whatever went on behind the scenes , culminated in us needing him and being willing to pay whatever price it is we've ended up paying.

Maybe Bournemouth lowered their fee,  maybe we decided we didn't want to wait until after our tour of the US. Maybe a bit of both.  Who knows.... certainly not the press, and they don't know the exact fee or the make up of the arrangement.

Getting wound up about the fee "quoted" is RIDICULOUS on this basis alone.

If you have concerns with the structure of the club and think we're showing signs that we're doing a villa of old,  then that's a different matter. For me, this signing combined with the clever other deals we've made so far assures me we're on the right lines, and I don't think we're overpaying (for any of the random amounts quoted) for someone who will settle straight in to the team and be guaranteed to understand and work with the playing style DS wants.

Great signing. 

• Like 1

The explosion of Joy from Villa fans (Including old players such as Ian Taylor) hearing we have secured Mings shows just how much he is worth to the club.

The other balance to this is just how little we paid for McGinn, you just cant get bargin deals all the time, sometimes you just have to go and pay the asking price.

Leicester have just been quoted 40 million for some Burnley Defender so hopefully in hindsight the 20 million will prove to be a bargin.

Mings currently has a magical hold over Villa fans (including me) and if we went into the new season without him we would have had doubts.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

involved, not in Charge.

He's still on the board and he still owns over 30% of the club, so even though we all know (hope) he has no active say in the day-to-day goings on at the club, he could still be described as one of the people that are in charge, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He's still on the board and he still owns over 30% of the club, so even though we all know (hope) he has no active say in the day-to-day goings on at the club, he could still be described as one of the people that are in charge, in my opinion.

He’s not.

It is certainly an eyebrow raiser to non Villa fans, but If he is a player your staff want and are confident he will fit in, understand the system etc (as they have seen). Then is paying £20 million for him better than paying £12million for someone else either from a different league or who might be more of a question mark. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

He's certainly a high percentage stakeholder, but i would bet money that he isn't in charge of anything within the club any more.

3 minutes ago, big mean bunny said:

It is certainly an eyebrow raiser to non Villa fans, but If he is a player your staff want and are confident he will fit in, understand the system etc (as they have seen). Then is paying £20 million for him better than paying £12million for someone else either from a different league or who might be more of a question mark. 

Yeah can see why non villa fans would raise an eyebrow.

The only risk is his injury record, but if he stays fit that literally the only issue.

Anyone who actually saw him play for us last season will understand what a really good player he is, he was called the Van dijk of the championship, granted we don't expect him to replicate that in the prem, but he has all the qualities to be a class player and as I say, anyone who saw him play last season would have seen that.

The people saying he isn't good enough obviously didn't actually watch him play.

Edited by MaVilla

13 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I think its down to interpretation.....but my understanding is the ones with 51% or more of the shares are in Charge, NSWE are a combined force by arrangement, so they trump Xia

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

So a guy who absolutely smashed it last season, making one of the biggest contributions to the club in 6 months anyone has ever done, is about to sign for us permanently in a record deal. What's not to love!? Give him the number 6 and make him vice captain. 

14 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I thought that they had recently reduced Tone's share of the club further. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think its down to interpretation.....but my understanding is the ones with 51% or more of the shares are in Charge NSWE are a combined force by arrangement so they trump Xia

In my job I review businesses including Football Clubs (in fact I reviewed a Championship club last Friday), and reviewing the 'Control Persons', is separated between Ownership and Control.

Who owns the business, and who controls it.

Like we all think, Dr Xia controls nothing. From the outside, it very much looks like NSWE are the ones calling the shots now (and rightly so!), so I'd say Xia's control is all but completely gone. He's still an owner though.

I agree, it's probably down to interpretation, but in my job, at least, often a beneficial owner of a business will be considered as those individuals that own 25% or more of control or ownership. (Or in more 'high risk' sectors, who owns 10% or more). By that definition, at least, he's still one of the people in charge.

But, as we've both said, it's down to interpretation :D

I'm guessing his shareholding will get diluted down every year anyway, to the point that he's a minor shareholder that will be swept under the carper with his oversized suits and emoji tweets!

PS: MINGS IS KING :flag:

Edited by Rob182
  • Confused 1

I'm guessing that the fee for Mings will be "undisclosed" and that the £20 million plus add ons is a generic media figure for signings associated with Villa.

Purslow will have insisted on non disclosure by Bournemouth as part of the deal, so it can only be guesswork.

Edited by villabromsgrove

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

In my job I review businesses including Football Clubs (in fact I reviewed a Championship club last Friday), and reviewing the 'Control Persons', is separated between Ownership and Control.

Who owns the business, and who controls it.

Like we all think, Dr Xia controls nothing. From the outside, it very much looks like NSWE are the ones calling the shots now (and rightly so!), so I'd say Xia's control is all but completely gone. He's still an owner though.

I agree, it's probably down to interpretation, but in my job, at least, often a beneficial owner of a business will be considered as those individuals that own 25% or more of control or ownership. (Or in more 'high risk' sectors, who owns 10% or more). By that definition, at least, he's still one of the people in charge.

But, as we've both said, it's down to interpretation :D

I'm guessing his shareholding will get diluted down every year anyway, to the point that he's a minor shareholder that will be swept under the carper with his oversized suits and emoji tweets!

We better get back on side ( On Topic)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â