Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

Considering we could have bought him outright for ~8 million in January and considered that too much of a risk, to spend 20-25 million on him now is mind boggling.  I love Mings and think he can potentially be a club legend and an England international, if he stays healthy this season, but FFS...  20+ million for a player with serious injuries in his past and who has only played 4 months of solid football over the past 3 seasons??? Bournemouth won the lottery here.

How could we have bought him in Jan if we were trying to stay compliant with FFP? Maybe Bournemouth wouldn't agree on a fee upfront either. I don't understand why so many people go on like we got had in because if Mings has plays 3-4 or 5 years for us due to his age and we have progressed from this point to a higher standing point in the prem he'll have been worth every frigging penny.

Does anyone honestly believe that we can get by signing players for 5-10m right across the board? I'm really interested because most clubs that have worthy assets generally know it. Hence why you occasionally get stung for a few quid more on the must haves. 

• Like 2

Don't care about the fee. Big clubs target a player and pay what it takes. Fergie did it all the time. Deano has decided he wants him on a permanent, Mings wants to come, Suso, Purslow and the owners have backed Deano and made it happen. Happy days and a sign of intent, ie if we want our man we'll do all we can to get him.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Don't care about the fee. Big clubs target a player and pay what it takes. Fergie did it all the time. Deano has decided he wants him on a permanent, Mings wants to come, Suso, Purslow and the owners have backed Deano and made it happen. Happy days and a sign of intent, or if we want our man we'll do all we can to get him.

not caring about the money is how we nearly went into administration last year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

But we are not an established PL-club (yet).

We are a newly promoted club that almost went bust not that long ago.

Manure and City have been making PL money for years while we've been hemorrhaging money to the point that we needed the new owners to buy our stadium from ourselves.

But we’re not paying the prices those clubs are forking out. They’re spending 50m+ on one player. We’re spending 20m.

I really want to know from the people who think we’ve massively overpaid, who should we be buying for similar or cheaper. 

Who are the circa £20m defenders, the players that are premier league quality, who want to be here, who we can realistically buy?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Just to reiterate, I think he could be worth more than what we've paid in a year or two, easily. But that's not the point here.

You don't pay the premium for potential, you pay it for established players and longevity.

Coutinho went to Liverpool for 8million (apparently it was nearly us), he was a bright spark with potential from Inter at the time.

You do the math as for how much he was sold for to Barcelona as an established player with plenty of legs left in him.

Mings has only ever impressed in the championship, never played in his seasons in the top flight. That's unfulfilled promise, whether you believe in him or not.

Surplus to requirements there, wants to leave, significant injury to recover from, suitable buyer.. And you hold them to a premium?

Ah well, I'll shutup because I'm actually very happy he's going to play for us.

I agree it is unfulfilled promise, which is why we’ve got him for around £20m + add ons. If his promise had been fulfilled he would have been more than double. The fee for Coutinho was a few years ago, a similar player wouldn’t be £8m now. Plus the fact we’ve had a very good look at him and he’s established himself at the club also adds value. Ok we may not have been in the strongest position with regards to negotiations, but I think we’ve paid more or less the going rate under the circumstances. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Yeah I understand all that but its still crazy money. It should be a about 5m market rate.

Welcome to the next level of market price hikes in football, won't be the last time.

15 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

4.5m he's valued on Transfer Markt.

We would have paid anything they asked let's be honest.

Those are made up amounts. Wan Bissaka is currently on the site as €35 million and I'll bet they significantly increased only after was sold to Manure

7 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

not caring about the money is how we nearly went into administration last year. 

We were owned by a chancer and run by a bunch of charlatans last year, that’s the reason we nearly went into administration. Now we’re owned by two multi billionaire astute businessmen and run by professionals. There is zero chance of us going into administration now. We have to manage FFP,  but that is exactly what we’re doing, having the actual money isn’t an issue. 

3 hours ago, brummybloke said:

I would rather have signed him as already stated 12 to 14 with 6 in add ons.

People say 5 or 6 is nothing ?

Eh ghazi less than 6 million

Hause less than 4 million

Jota less than 3 million

Mings was always ours after the support he got after the head tread episode in his 2nd game for us. He had faith shown to him by the manager and the fans.

3 1/2 rough years, hes matured and a great player for us but the facts are he cost 8 million and didn't play more than a handful of game in those 3 1/2 years.

This is an interesting point (bolded).

I too think we’ve overpaid by about £5m here, and that would even be taking into consideration his great 6 months with us and our clear desire for his services.

But talking like £5m is nothing in the Prem seems a bit wide of the mark, for me.

If £5m is nothing, then why aren’t we just paying what it apparently takes to get Butland (£20m), Phillips (£25m) and any other of our supposed targets?

The reason is because £5m isn’t a small amount. It seems it right now, because we have hit the jackpot and seemingly have £100m+ to spend, but £5m is 1/4 of what we’ve paid for 1 player, and we’re apparently trying to buy 8-9 (according to John Percy). That 1/4 will add up an awful lot if we’re not careful.

(disclaimer: of course I’m over the moon we’re getting Mings, I just didn’t think that our new professional set-up would see little, plucky Bournemouth fleece us for a player that they don’t want, and that doesn’t want to be there).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Transfermarkt often undervalues players. Double their figure and you would be nearer to the real value. 

All guesstimates or approximations. Guaranteed Wan Bisakka would've been €5-15 million before Manure bought. Now they've amended to €35 million

Â