Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Just to reiterate, I think he could be worth more than what we've paid in a year or two, easily. But that's not the point here.

You don't pay the premium for potential, you pay it for established players and longevity.

Coutinho went to Liverpool for 8million (apparently it was nearly us), he was a bright spark with potential from Inter at the time.

You do the math as for how much he was sold for to Barcelona as an established player with plenty of legs left in him.

Mings has only ever impressed in the championship, never played in his seasons in the top flight. That's unfulfilled promise, whether you believe in him or not.

Surplus to requirements there, wants to leave, significant injury to recover from, suitable buyer.. And you hold them to a premium?

Ah well, I'll shutup because I'm actually very happy he's going to play for us.

You missed one thing? Liverpool gave him the platform and helped turn him into the mega million pound player that he wasn't before. The problem is if you always buy the finished article you will never innovate just renovate. We are not in a position to be buying players that command starting positions in top 5-6 clubs. What we can do though is find our own gems and polish them up. 😉

• Like 1

Finally.😍 I do understand where some people are sceptical regarding the fee as I was of the mind that £15 million was a fair amount but...it doesn't actually matter in this market as mad as it may sound to some. Ultimately I'd rather Villa paid the extra amount on a player who - as others have said - is already settled in the squad and who we know can hit the ground running. If it was as simple as "finding gems from abroad" literally every team would be flooded with Kantes. We have been and probably will continue to make up for it with good business elsewhere, but sometimes it's necessary to pay for something you know you'll be getting. 

Bournemouth fans can try to laud it over us but the fact is they've paid similar amounts for Solanke and Ibe as we have for Mings and I'd know which I'd rather.

Glad this hasn't dragged on too much, still a lot to get done so that we're ready personnel-wise for next season.

• Like 4

Great signing for us on so many levels, which is why Bournemouth were always going to demand such a fee. The fact we have to bring in so many players, bringing another one of the loan success stories helps by him being a known quantity on the pitch and in the dressing room.

• Like 2

Just now, abdomlahor said:

not caring about the money is how we nearly went into administration last year. 

We had an owner without a pot to pee in with a borderline crook running the club.

All football fees are mental. This none more so than dozens of others. The money involved in transfers is magnitudes out from what most would see as sensible.

There are no guarantees in football but I trust the current Villa management and owner team to have made the correct call, based on the full facts only they have to hand.

My initial reaction to this was it's too much money, however, he will be worth that to us so it's fine really. Just need to find him a good CB partner now. If we can get Webber for a similar fee that would be excellent, 2 ball playing CB's 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats all hypothetical

If he gets injured pre season and won't be available until christmas - how much would he be worth then ? 

It's not hypothetical.

Once we sign him, how much would you sell him for if there was a bidder next week?

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

£20m-ish for Mings, or £27m-ish for Ross McCormack and Scott Hogan.

I prefer Mings and the current transfer policy.

Just to be fair, a lot of people were happy with the £12m-ish that we paid for Hogan and McCormack when those signings happened.

You may as well have said “I prefer players that do well, to players that don’t” :lol:

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's not hypothetical.

Once we sign him, how much would you sell him for if there was a bidder next week?

Hypothetically?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

My initial reaction to this was it's too much money, however, he will be worth that to us so it's fine really. Just need to find him a good CB partner now. If we can get Webber for a similar fee that would be excellent, 2 ball playing CB's 

I'm not convinced Andrew Lloyd could cut it in the Prem

29 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

We were owned by a chancer and run by a bunch of charlatans last year, that’s the reason we nearly went into administration. Now we’re owned by two multi billionaire astute businessmen and run by professionals. There is zero chance of us going into administration now. We have to manage FFP,  but that is exactly what we’re doing, having the actual money isn’t an issue. 

i'm aware of that. i'm just making a point that we shouldn't carelessly spend over the odds just because we can.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Hypothetically?

Jeeeeez.

Could anyone that disagrees with the £20mil valuation please answer the following question:

Once we sign him, how much would you sell him for if a bidder came in next week and what would you base your valuation on? 

Because I highly doubt you would sell for £12mil because he hasn't proven himslef in the PL yet.

• Like 2

Â