Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just remember the many many many cheaper terrible signings we have made and be grateful that we are in a position to sign someone we know works for us for about £5m more than he’s probably worth. What exactly would we do with that £5m anyway???

Sign Anwar El Ghazi, but I take your point :D

15 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just remember the many many many cheaper terrible signings we have made and be grateful that we are in a position to sign someone we know works for us for about £5m more than he’s probably worth. What exactly would we do with that £5m anyway???

Give it to Acorns. Pay a 30k per year wage for 3 years.

But essentially your post is still reassuring for me. We've made a solid signing, and it's the man I think we all wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's not what I'd describe as fickle more contrarian. It was obviously tongue in cheek as well

I'd have said flicking from one opinion to the opposite for no good reason would be the dictionary definition of fickle but whatever you want to call it.

Well was obviously too subtle for me, you see posts like that all the time on here.

Edited by penguin

8 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

People need to get their heads around the fact that we aren't in the Championship anymore and so won't get championship deal. Every club in World Football know we are in the money again and so we have to pay accordingly. It's that simple.

Once the main structure has been put in place over the next 2-3 years, transfers will possibly (if everything goes well) slow down and we can cherry pick ourselves. We aren't in that position yet.  

probably the most significant point to consider.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

On reflection, I still think I made some valid statements regarding the practicalities of Mings' situation and transfer.

Here's another I believe to be apt, was there a single other club that was going to pay 20million for Mings this window?

If not, then this transfer and the fee involved is based more on wishful thinking than anything concrete. I say that even being chuffed that he's with us.

And BTW, just because something transpires between two parties doesn't automatically deem it ethical and respectful. But we won't go down that path.

I responded calling your comment fair originally, and most of it is, both clubs did agree a fee, he is progressing..

However, the rest has misrepresented my post, I only highlighted that Bournemouth were making the most of an asset, which they are entitled to do, as I said..

I suggested that it may've been more respectful to take into account the practicalities that I've repeatedly stated..

Perhaps adjusted the fee to reflect that and not just based the sum on what they could get away given the opportunity they found themselves with.

If another club was going to pay that for Mings, then sure by all means my comments are unfounded.

If you want to believe my comments were ridiculous, I suppose that's your interpretation. I understand the term differently perhaps.

You state it as a matter of fact that I'm being ridiculous, whilst highlighting the YOU in your previous sentences. I hope you see what I'm saying on that point.

I think his integration with the squad and his leadership qualities with us is the crucial bit that persuaded us to pay that bit more and other clubs to be unsure....We have had the benefit of him during a promotion race and he has experienced a wonderfully successful time with us, you can't replicate that in normal circumstances......in other words He was "hand made" for us.

We have already seen a £7 mill international Goal keeper not work out......any other Centre Half, could have been the same.

We know he fits in with us.......unfortunately for us so does Bournemouth, they had the leverage on this one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Buy the Blues as a feeder

9 hours ago, sne said:

Once again we are paying far to much, but as long as we are not relegated it probably wont matter to much.

at All.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Buy the Blues as a feeder

I don't think our owners are in the market for bottom feeders.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

When such high transfer fees are in play, fans are always going to be divided. If the player has a good season the fee is soon forgotten. If the player struggles the fee will be thrown around as criticism

The thing that’s bugging me right now, is that there is a lot of patronising going on. Not necessarily on here, but scrolling through Twitter, every other AVFC post is basically saying “if you don’t think Mings is worth £20m then you don’t understand the market/ how football’s moved on/ how invaluable he is to Villa” etc.

Then, in the same breath, it feels like the actual reasoning given is fairly irrelevant.

Some mentioning that Mings got us promoted which won us £160m+ therefore £20m is a bargain. That’s not true. We got promoted during his loan spell. The loan spell was a bargain.

Some are referring to the prices of other Premier League signings, but, of course, conveniently only mention the overinflated or big name signings, and ignore the cheaper signings.

Then I’ve seen some people mentioning that Mings is young, and that’s a reason the price was high. 26 isn’t young. I’ve seen it mentioned that he’s ‘young for a centreback’, but I can’t say that I’ve seen ‘young for a centreback’ inflate a price before.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get it. 

Its not like Bournemouth said you can have him for 15 mill and we decided to spend more. This was his price. It was pay it or gamble on another signing. 

When you take into account he knows the system, clearly works well in the system, is a big influence in the dressing room and absolutely loves it here I don't think we have over paid. 

How many players that match all that criteria do people think are out there? 

this to me is us not "doing a Fulham"

we're paying to keep the band together, whether or not that's overpaying will be judged at the end of the season not the start, the only concern for me is his injury record but the club employ a team of qualified professionals who know more about that than me

the other benefit to us buying these loan players is the worst case scenario...you would like to think if we do go down he's here for the long run, he's not using us as a shop window or going to be mardy if we are shit next season or then go missing because he doesn't care

Bournemouth knew his value to us and inflated his price, fair play to them, we paid it because we can, nothing more to see here

• Like 1

No idea why so many posters on here are questioning the transfer fee! I dont give a 'flying duck' how much we have paid! We have competent and rich owners in charge now...I would be worried if Dr Tone was still in charge!

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get it. 

Its not like Bournemouth said you can have him for 15 mill and we decided to spend more. This was his price. It was pay it or gamble on another signing. 

When you take into account he knows the system, clearly works well in the system, is a big influence in the dressing room and absolutely loves it here I don't think we have over paid. 

How many players that match all that criteria do people think are out there? 

Clearly no player has an exact set price. There is always room for negotiation. Who knows, maybe this was the negotiation and they originally wanted £25m?

I just think we have overpaid. He's worth £12-14m IMO, and when taking into account how valuable he is to us, that should have been bumped up to £15/16m. When you look at it, Bournemouth have bought a player for £8m, he's played less than 20 times for them in 3 (?) years, and from a good 6-month spell in the Championship, they've managed to get £20m for the 4th/5th choice defender. It's pretty mad.

I don't know what else we could have done, as I'm not in the football finance business. How do any clubs get a price down? Negotiate? Add-on clauses? Wait it out? Get Mings to hand in a transfer request and agree that we'll pay him any 'loyalty bonus' he misses out on?

One thing is for sure, and that is that no other club would pay £20m for him, so unless Bournemouth wanted to keep a player that doesn't want to be there, I feel like this is one of the signings that we could have hung on to complete.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

of course every team wants to maximise their profit. it's just that for me there's too much risk paying that for him, but i do understand why we did. i just think we could have leveraged the fact he wanted to come here and stuck it out until the end of the window to force their hand on it a little bit more.

If by risk you are referring to past medical issues, I'm not convinced the risk is unacceptably high at all and obviously neither do the club. He's shown both clubs he can handle  a half season of blood and thunder Championship battles and emerge as being demonstrably one of the best - if not the best - in that division. I also think it's very unlikely he won't get a thorough medical before we (over) pay for him and he'll be insured against a career-ender to protect our investment.

If by risk you mean we don't know if he is Premier League class, that's true but we haven't bought anyone that we know is. But probably will be. In fact, we've just paid even more for a player we don't even know if he'll suit the English game in any division. But also probably will. The only way we will get "sure things" is buying Prem players off Prem clubs and they don't come anything but "over-priced".

I'm also of the mind the leverage you talk about pivots the wrong way. The common knowledge that he wants to come here and we want him doesn't lower his price in their minds, even if the transfer doesn't happen unless they need to sell him and we don't know if they do. They are obviously willing but no sale isn't going to harm them, they could just loan him out again for a fee and get someone else paying his wages and maybe increase his value even more.

No, we had a weak hand, unfortunately, but at other times we won't. And as someone said, above, maybe Bournemouth will feel the sting of the slap of the strong hand sometime in the future.

2 minutes ago, CharlieAitken59 said:

No idea why so many posters on here are questioning the transfer fee! I dont give a 'flying duck' how much we have paid! We have competent and rich owners in charge now...I would be worried if Dr Tone was still in charge!

He still is ;)

(contractually, anyway)

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think we have overpaid for Mings but it is an inflated market, £20m used to be a lot of money, it’s chump change these days. Without Mings, we might not be in the Premier League, in my opinion, he was that good for us last season, he came in and transformed the defence. How we’ve paid £3m for Kortney Hause and £20m for Mings, there’s such a big difference between the fees of the 2 players. I’d like to see a right sided centre back come in now, along with a goalkeeper and a defensive midfielder if the funds are there. Mings has only played a handful of games for Bournemouth in the top flight, he’s relatively unproven but I think Smith has known about Mings and his capabilities for some time, inspired signing

Without Mings we would never have been promoted.

• Like 3

Â