Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, Flynnchin84 said:

Crazy. 5th most expensive English defender behind Stones, Walker, Wan-Bissaka and Ferdinand.

Allegedly. What's the bet the figure is undisclosed when officially announced?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Has anyone actually announced Mings yet, or even as is the way these days, has he asked to be announced?

This is all on the back of some Twitter report?  I think we are getting some premature e-speculation here.

OK missed the SSN bit, but still nothing is done until reported by the club though.

The slight delay is probably down to the staff at BMH having to peel that old Villa kit off him that he's refused to take off for the last six weeks. It must be minging by now.

A long shower, lot's of talcum powder so that they can cram him into one of those tight new Kappa kits, followed by the pictures we're waiting to see!

Edited by villabromsgrove
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There will be a delay because they'll be putting together a fancy announcement video. My front runners are: 

• An 'Announce Mings' parody (like they did with Bolasie)
  • Lord of the Mings: Return of the King 
  • If You Like It Then You Shoulda Put a Mings On It 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, RadioTom said:

There will be a delay because they'll be putting together a fancy announcement video. My front runners are: 

How about unveiling Marvelous Nakamba at the same time, they could use the Lightning Seeds track, Mings could be Marvelous.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Has anyone actually announced Mings yet, or even as is the way these days, has he asked to be announced?

This is all on the back of some Twitter report?  I think we are getting some premature e-speculation here.

OK missed the SSN bit, but still nothing is done until reported by the club though.

He is at Villa right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RadioTom said:

"Alexa, who does Tyrone Mings play for..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flynnchin84 said:

Crazy. 5th most expensive English defender behind Stones, Walker, Wan-Bissaka and Ferdinand.

That puts it into perspective, I agree that is feels a bit crazy. I'm though very very happy with us signing Mings even at that price and I try to convince myself that it is justified.

I still have the mind set that we are one of the biggest clubs in England, a top club, but years of relegation battle and three years in the Championship plus the financial fair play rules means that we economically not are as big anymore as in my mind set. I'm used to us being able to pay top transer fees in the Premier League, like when we paid £7M for Collymore, or £18-24M for Bent. The last years decline and being in the Campionship have made me think of transfer fees around £20M as crazy money, but compared to what other clubs pay, it really isn't. We have transfer fees up towards £100M and midtable clubs like Everton and West ham paying £40-50M for players. Maguire, who although is an England international, but whom I dont rate much higher than Mings, is priced at £60-80M or something. In this context paying £20M for Mings makes sense to me.

Imo Mings is one of the most complete CB:s I have seen us have, his qualities and his potential is as high as anyones. His ball control and passing ability is superb, he has the ability to start attacks on his own, bring the ball forward and also has fantastic long range passing. He reads the game well and spots danger, he has bailed us out with last grasp blocks or tackles on several occations. He is fast, tall and very good in the air. All these qualities makes him a complete CB who has the potential to be an England starter imo. £20M for that compared to Maguire can potentially be a bargain.

To this we can add that he has passion like few others, drives his team mates on, has leadership qualities like when he calmes down situations, f.ex. pulling players away from brawls. He has earned an affinity with the fans almost unprecedented quickly. He knows our style of play, we know he fits right into the team and wont need any time to get used to the team and club. All this is hard to put a price on, but is invaluable and would make me happy to pay a lot extra for. 

So paying £20M for Mings and making him the 5th most expensive English defender feels crazy, but in the context above I'd be happy for us to pay it. In fact, I don't even know what the limit would be that I'd be happy for us to pay for him. Depends on the budget we have I suppose. 

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
  • Like 1

Agree with all of the above, and well put... I have said before that I think the valuation is nuts from a Bournemouth perspective. But Bournemouth know what he is worth to us and how much The club and in particular the fans want him. It’s probably safe to say all the social media pressure put on by the fans has added a few million to the price. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

To put it further into perspective, how many English defenders have moved in the past 12-18 months? 

We're getting numbers like £90m for Maguire and £40m for Dunk.  

Exactly. Posted at length about this this morning, previous prices are utterly irrelevant.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jimmyg said:

Agree with all of the above, and well put... I have said before that I think the valuation is nuts from a Bournemouth perspective. But Bournemouth know what he is worth to us and how much The club and in particular the fans want him. It’s probably safe to say all the social media pressure put on by the fans has added a few million to the price. 

nah i'm not having that. yeah it was persistent, and bloody annoying, but do you honestly think that purslow, smith etc really were like "guys we need to get this done asap...the fans are desperate...look at all these 'announce mings' tweets...just pay them what they want".

fees are getting outrageous, look at wan bissaka. teams look at deals like that and price up accordingly

Â