Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I think Fans most certainly were sick of Bruce's interviews as well as his results. Not only that but his style of play. Even after winning the first 2 games there were rumblings because it was pretty dire fayre. Then when you're looking for the manager to explain himself it was just the same old meaningless drivel and sound bites followed by increasingly petulant and self indulgent nonsense. No tactical nous. No insight. Nothing to reassure fans he knew what was going wrong and how to fix it.

its true that fans won't put up with bad results forever, but I think if most can see there's a plan in place, and that's communicated to them and obvious on the pitch, they will cut Smith a lot of slack. It's going to have to be that way. It's been so wretched and sub par it's asking a lot to turn it around immediately. Also, most fans aren't idiots and have some tactical appreciation of the game. Bruce failed to see this, or didn't feel the need to explain himself or even have a plan to begin with. You can just about get away with that if you're flunking wins. Good luck otherwise. If you're paid a fortune and you can't even be arsed to take training, I think that's shocking.

it couldn't be more different now and I'm convinced it's the right move. If we have to go through some ruts to get there, so be it.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair it's ONE game, so we shouldn't go gloating just yet.

It could easily pick up for them and go tits up for us.

I'll start giving in the big un in about 10 games.

In Smith I think we have the better manager anyway. Quite happy we got Smith in stead of Henry, although I was excited about Henry when his name was in the frame.

Here's the thing about Dean Smith - if things are going wrong within a game or from game to game, he might not be able to provide a quick fix BUT he will actually understand what's going wrong and have a strategy for improving.  If we lost badly under Bruce, you could see from his face that he had no idea how it had happened.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

In Smith I think we have the better manager anyway. Quite happy we got Smith in stead of Henry, although I was excited about Henry when his name was in the frame.

Me too, very pleased. They’re almost opposites: Dean is a smaller profile manager with a reputation built on successfully coaching teams to perform above their ability/station for want of a better word. He has the job based purely on merit.

Whereas Thierry is an inexperienced manager, with a reputation based on an illustrious playing career and television punditry. Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s juts a very different angle to DS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

Here's the thing about Dean Smith - if things are going wrong within a game or from game to game, he might not be able to provide a quick fix BUT he will actually understand what's going wrong and have a strategy for improving.  If we lost badly under Bruce, you could see from his face that he had no idea how it had happened.

Maybe he would suggest another big wage loan ;)

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You will be able to stay home, brother
You will be able to plug in, turn on and drop out
You will be able to lose yourself with Smith and Terry
Skip out for beer during commercials
Because the revolution will be televised

The revolution will be televised

The revolution will be brought to you by Aston Villa
In two parts (with commercial interruption)
The revolution will show you pictures of Dean Smith, holding a clipboard, 
and leading a charge by Jack Grealish, John McGinn and Tammy Abrahams to eat opposition teams for breakfast

The revolution will be brought to you by NSWE,  and
will not star Steve Bruce and Tony Xia or Wyness and Round
The revolution will give your club sex appeal
The revolution will get rid of the blues
The revolution will make you feel six inches taller, 
because The revolution will be televised, Brother

The revolution will be televised. 

To what tune? :P

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

and leading a charge by Jack Grealish, John McGinn and Tammy Abrahams to eat opposition teams for breakfast

Come on man. This is a fan forum. Where are the four letter words? Where are the inarticulate ravings? Are you still sober? 

This is far too erudite! Any more like this and I will report the post!

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Pfft, didn’t even rhyme. 

Big job on his hands, this lot are neither fit nor mentally sharp enough to do what he wants. Quite simply it's going to take time, fitness levels will take a while to improve and so will the required mental sharpness to play pass and move football. This needs to be seen as a long term project, expectations of promotion this season need to be calmed.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

With the backing he’ll seemingly get, and everything I’ve read and seen. He’ll get it very right. Our Eddie Howe as someone else mentioned. 

If he doesn’t. I’ll piss in the corners of villa park ala Barry fry to get rid of the curse. 

I think he's some way off that standard, and won't take us as far as Bruce - but I hope I am wrong.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Big job on his hands, this lot are neither fit nor mentally sharp enough to do what he wants. Quite simply it's going to take time, fitness levels will take a while to improve and so will the required mental sharpness to play pass and move football. This needs to be seen as a long term project, expectations of promotion this season need to be calmed.

Was thinking the same , he’s going to need a Jan window of epic proportions to turn this club around only one or two of them look comfortable on the ball the rest struggle , Chester in particular 

but Hogan over JK ... don’t be making that mistake again please 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yep. A shame we couldn't get Smith in sooner.

Â