Dean Smith

Demitri_C

44 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There are few people I dislike more than Danny fecking Murphy. He's got a scrunched up goblin face, he's boring, droning and talks absolute bollocks. I really don't know why he gets air time. Horrible pointless little scrote.

The Liverpool media quota. One of the most bizarre things in sport

• Like 2

Just to be clear, Dean Smith thinks that football is like a game of chess and you always have to be 2 moves ahead of your opponents. 

This guy is about as far removed from Steve Bruce as it's possible to get. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Meanwhile in Monaco

Thierry Henry got off to a losing start as Monaco head coach

To be fair it's ONE game, so we shouldn't go gloating just yet.

It could easily pick up for them and go tits up for us.

I'll start giving in the big un in about 10 games.

• Like 2

With the backing he’ll seemingly get, and everything I’ve read and seen. He’ll get it very right. Our Eddie Howe as someone else mentioned. 

If he doesn’t. I’ll piss in the corners of villa park ala Barry fry to get rid of the curse. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

With the backing he’ll seemingly get, and everything I’ve read and seen. He’ll get it very right. Our Eddie Howe as someone else mentioned. 

If he doesn’t. I’ll piss in the corners of villa park ala Barry fry to get rid of the curse. 

It would make a change to see us do anything from a corner! Have a poo while you’re there.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just to be clear, Dean Smith thinks that football is like a game of chess and you always have to be 2 moves ahead of your opponents. 

It’s amazing how amazed we are by having a coach that seems to be able to coach.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sidcow said:

if i can dare to defend bruce, i think he (and every other manager) will treat the game as you described, the difference between bruce and (hopefully) smith is that his moves were wrong

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When I don't understand a word or a somewhat technical phrase I'll put a bit of research in, ask questions of those I feel might be more knowledgeable than me in the chosen subject. There's a fantastic book by James Wilson called 'Inverting the Pyramid' which details the evolution of tactics over the last century and beyond. I'd recommend it to you but I am 110% certain you wouldn't read it. 

I'm confident Ron Saunders had a tactical philosophy. So did Steve Bruce, it was just a decade out of date. Dean Smith isn't reinventing the wheel here, he's simply choosing to clue the fans in on what we are trying to do rather than treating them like idiots who won't be able to understand complicated words like 'overload', or put the effort in to find out what they mean in a football context. Maybe he has overestimated us. 

*Jonathan Wilson

Sorry, it's one of my favourite books and he's definitely my favourite football writer. That book is fascinating and I'd recommend basically any of his other books too.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When I don't understand a word or a somewhat technical phrase I'll put a bit of research in, ask questions of those I feel might be more knowledgeable than me in the chosen subject. There's a fantastic book by James Wilson called 'Inverting the Pyramid' which details the evolution of tactics over the last century and beyond. I'd recommend it to you but I am 110% certain you wouldn't read it. 

I'm confident Ron Saunders had a tactical philosophy. So did Steve Bruce, it was just a decade out of date. Dean Smith isn't reinventing the wheel here, he's simply choosing to clue the fans in on what we are trying to do rather than treating them like idiots who won't be able to understand complicated words like 'overload', or put the effort in to find out what they mean in a football context. Maybe he has overestimated us. 

I wonder if Dean Smith always honours his bets ;)

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s amazing how amazed we are by having a coach that seems to be able to coach.  

The revolution taking place is revolutionary

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

I'm excited by Dean Smith, but I do think people are getting a bit carried away by a few interviews.
Villa managers always sound good when we first sign them. Pretty sure we were saying great stuff about Bruce's interviews when he first arrived.

And I know we were saying great stuff about managers like Lambert and Garde. I remember the discussion about how great Garde's tactics seemed to be after his first game when we drew 0-0 with Man City compared to the shit show that Sherwood was serving up before it.

I'm not being negative. I'm very optimistic about Smith being here. But I do think people might be getting a bit carried away by a couple of interviews and press conferences.

Agree. I’ve always said a manager can say what he wants when we’re winning games. I guarantee if we lost a few games in a row the fans wouldn’t be so happy to hear references to chess games and traps. 

21 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree. I’ve always said a manager can say what he wants when we’re winning games. I guarantee if we lost a few games in a row the fans wouldn’t be so happy to hear references to chess games and traps. 

Well exactly. People were sick of bruce's interviews, but really they were sick of our results.

People read too much into what managers say to the press. And usually if we're winning games then everyone is happy with what is said and when we're losing games people are unhappy. On VT every interview is picked apart and overanalysed to death.

I'm not saying what Smith is saying is bad. Quite the opposite. I like what we are hearing and he's saying the right things. It does sound like he's looking for a more up to date approach, let's say, than Bruce. But talking a good game and implementing a good game are two different things entirely.

I guess I just don't want people to be hard on the guy if things aren't suddenly revolutionised.

Edited by Stevo985

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

Dean Smith thinks that football is like a game of chess and you always have to be 2 moves ahead of your opponents. 

Bruce thinks that football is like a game of tiddlywinks... You fire them around and hope for the best. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Well exactly. People were sick of bruce's interviews, but really they were sick of our results.

People read too much into what managers say to the press. And usually if we're winning games then everyone is happy with what is said and when we're losing games people are unhappy. On VT every interview is picked apart and overanalysed to death.

I'm not saying what Smith is saying is bad. Quite the opposite. I like what we are hearing and he's saying the right things. It does sound like he's looking for a more up to date approach, let's say, than Bruce. But talking a good game and implementing a good game are two different things entirely.

I guess I just don't want people to be hard on the guy if things aren't suddenly revolutionised.

Couldn't agree more. If Smith wins games I will like him - if he doesn't I won't. What he says or doesn't say doesn't matter to me 

Â