Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I liked the substitution of Jack aswell, it was not only the correct decision, it also showed that he isn't scared to make big decisions with big players.

55 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

It's so refreshing to have a manager that actually knows about tactics, you can tell he like high energy press because when he talks about overloading and setting traps to win the ball back, very early on but also really encouraging signs, we will only get better the longer he has, the future is bright ?

I loved when he said "we set traps" in the post match interview.

Meaning we have pre determined passages of play to lure opposition into certain faults and scenarios which we know how to take advantage of.

He also noted that most of the work done so far has been off the ball, suggesting we will get even better with it eventually.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Yesterday was very promising. He's only had a few days with the whole squad so the wheel wasn't going to be reinvented, but there was enough to show that we're already moving in the right direction. We were hanging on a bit at the end but for once it wasn't through completely voluntary means, and more so because we'd ran ourselves into the ground playing a pressing game that was completely new to the players. We'll probably have to get used to some drop-offs late in games considering this is something that is being implemented in the middle of a season, I remember reading some Leeds players in the summer saying that Bielsa's methods were extremely taxing physically in terms of getting used to them so I can imagine this is a similar scenario only at a worse time.

Still and all though, if we can be a bit more clinical that'll be less of an issue, and who would've thought that playing defensive players in their normal positions would aid our defensive problems slightly.? Even the substitutions were encouraging, taking forward players off for other forward players so we'd have more legs on the pitch to keep up the way we were playing as best we could, as opposed to sticking on a defensive midfielder or a left back for a striker and inviting a team onto us.

Not allowing myself to get carried away, and we're still going to have plenty of shaky moments, but at least we're going the right way about changing things and not doing our best to pile calamity onto ourselves which is a start.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I do sense that it will take some time for the VP faithful to become comfortable with modern football. 

Very underrated comment.

Whilst I was watching the game, i could hear fans saying shoot when we were looking for an opening or becoming discontent when we playing it around the back four.

I hope the fans become accustomed to how we now try to play.

Even when the line up was announced the fans began to moan about the line up. However DS has had very little time with a full squad and we have a game on Tuesday and Saturday so he will be rotating the squad.

I am surprised by DS because I had very low expectations of him especially because of the role he had at Brentford. 

He is about the coaching and tactical aspects of the game.

I liked when he said that he played Grealish deeper to keep possession although it felt as if he did not want to do that because of Jack's attacking qualities.

1st half the passing was really good.

In particular I was watching how many touches each would player take before passing and whether we would look to make short passes or long passes. 

Our players were averaging around 2-3 touches in the 1st half however at times we became unstuck because players were not making themselves available to receive the ball.

DS will be working on this on the training ground so that our possession game is a lot more fluid.

The 2nd half was like watching SB's team play so i am sure that this will be ironed out in the future.

The positive aspect is that at this level we have a group of very talented players and they are capable of taking in tactics and picking up things quickly.

I am excited for the future but I am also nervous about the Norwich game because Carrow road is a difficult place to go to.

Edited by Reivax_Villa
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, brommy said:

Might have been asked already but why does this Dean Smith VT thread have a ‘manager’ tag?

Come to think of it, will those that backed a losing horse in the 'next manager market' get a refund because we technically haven't employed one? :trollface:

Head coach, manager, it doesn't matter what you call it, Dean is the boss. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Come to think of it, will those that backed a losing horse in the 'next manager market' get a refund because we technically haven't employed one? :trollface:

Head coach, manager, it doesn't matter what you call it, Dean is the boss. 

It must matter to Dean, the club or both, otherwise he’d have been announced as our new ‘manager’. 

18 minutes ago, brommy said:

It must matter to Dean, the club or both, otherwise he’d have been announced as our new ‘manager’. 

I think in the modern context of the game, head coach is exactly what Dean Smith is. He is in charge of the first team. Whereas traditionally the club manager was exactly that, he managed the whole club. Ok there were Chairmen and accountants etc but the manager dealt with the coaching, either directly and/or through a team of coaches, the signings, players contracts the lot. The game has moved away from this and there is now an army of people running every aspect of the club. So head coach is I think the right title, but the responsibility for winning matches remains as it has always been with the bloke who is deemed to be in charge of the first team, regardless of his title. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think in the modern context of the game, head coach is exactly what Dean Smith is. He is in charge of the first team. Whereas traditionally the club manager was exactly that, he managed the whole club. Ok there were Chairmen and accountants etc but the manager dealt with the coaching, either directly and/or through a team of coaches, the signings, players contracts the lot. The game has moved away from this and there is now an army of people running every aspect of the club. So head coach is I think the right title, but the responsibility for winning matches remains as it has always been with the bloke who is deemed to be in charge of the first team, regardless of his title. 

I understand the term and that Dean is employed as ‘head coach’. I was questioning why this thread has a tag of ‘manager’ instead of ‘head coach’.

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Same, the same people who under Bruce would watch cross after cross after cross after cross be headed out comfortably out by the opposition but when we try and string 3 passes around the edge of the box to work a chance scream......................

"GET THE BALL IN THE BOX!!"

Yep. They'd scream "forward!" when we were keeping possession and then moan that we'd lose the ball by hoofing it.

A lot of football fans are idiots.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, av1 said:

I liked the substitution of Jack aswell, it was not only the correct decision, it also showed that he isn't scared to make big decisions with big players.

Really ?  - I think it hastens jacks departure and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in January.

Personally I think the way forward is to get the best out Grealish - not to piss him off

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really ?  - I think it hastens jacks departure and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in January.

Personally I think the way forward is to get the best out Grealish - not to piss him off

I think the way forward is to do what is best for the team, and yesterday Smith made the right call. 

A substitution means Jack will leave in January :crylaugh:

Edited by av1

Â