Dean Smith

Demitri_C

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You'd think he'd subbed him in the 30th minute or something given some reactions.

Like I said earlier, if we have a player kicking up a fuss about being subbed late on in a game to secure a 1-0 victory (and I don't mean just being "unhappy at being subbed". That's natural) then they can **** off. Whoever they are. And we certainly shouldn't be pandering to them. 

The manager makes the decision for the good of the team. And certainly after ONE game we should be giving the manager the benefit of the doubt before we criticise those kinds of decisions.

Luckily I don't think grealish would kick up a fuss. So it's a moot point really.

Plus, let's be honest, it's Jack Grealish at about 60-70% at best this season so far.

Improve back up to 100% effort and then whinge about being taken off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KHV said:

We were lucky to get the win. When your goalkeeper is a contender for man of the match you know things are not great. We were all over the place a lot of the time. 

I think we was as lucky to get the win as much as we were as  unlucky to not get a 3/4 nil victory.

It was clear to me very little had changed, but that is what i expected, its too soon.

sure we pressed high in the first half which was encouraging, but ran out of steam again in the second.....we are still a 45 minute team......Deano will fix that.....we have only trained without the ball all week and some players only had one training session.

The defence looked more organised, except for little lapses in the second half.

I was encoraged reading the managers after match comments.....everthing was picked up and he was aware of......he also expressed his confidence in fixing things.....in in due course of course.

We would have drew or lost that a few weeks ago.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I loved when he said "we set traps" in the post match interview.

Meaning we have pre determined passages of play to lure opposition into certain faults and scenarios which we know how to take advantage of.

He also noted that most of the work done so far has been off the ball, suggesting we will get even better with it eventually.

Yeah......it seems like we have a thinking manager.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It was clear to me very little had changed, but that is what i expected, its too soon.

I dunno, we didn't really have a game plan under Bruce, but if there was one it was to get the ball in the box even if there was no one there to get on the end of it. It was a clear instruction as over the last 2 years stats show that we comfortably put in more crosses than any other team. This was eradicated in the first game, that was clear to see no more crossing for the sake of it, also we held onto the ball and there was no hoofing from the back or constant backpasses to the keeper. Also hunting in packs up the pitch winning the ball in dangerous areas, wingers seemed a lot higher up the pitch as well not playing as secondary fullbacks. To me a lot of things clearly changed already.  

Edited by Junxs
  • Like 2

I was sceptical of his line-up, at least on the wings, with Elmohamedy and Adomah chosen, but it turned out ok. Would like to see El Ghazi or Bolassie from start soon on that wing, because I dont think Adomah did enough to keep a starting place. But a good first game for Dean Smith were we could have been in front with 3 goals before swansea even got a look at our goal. 

The main differences and improvements were very basic. Largely because the basics were the biggest problems and the easiest to fix in a couple of days. Yes we could have drawn or lost that game but we could have won it comfortably.

Personally its refreshing to see us get some of the basics right. Its been a while. Throw ins have almost given me a stroke under Bruce for instance.

As the weeks go by, more improvements and moving from getting the basics right to getting more sophisticated things right will see us go from scraping through games we should have won more comfortably to pummeling teams regularly.

2 hours ago, Junxs said:

I dunno, we didn't really have a game plan under Bruce, but if there was one it was to get the ball in the box even if there was no one there to get on the end of it. It was a clear instruction as over the last 2 years stats show that we comfortably put in more crosses than any other team. This was eradicated in the first game, that was clear to see no more crossing for the sake of it, also we held onto the ball and there was no hoofing from the back or constant backpasses to the keeper. Also hunting in packs up the pitch winning the ball in dangerous areas, wingers seemed a lot higher up the pitch as well not playing as secondary fullbacks. To me a lot of things clearly changed already.  

Not arguing with that....but it depends what you are looking for.

Dean said himself, they did nothing all week with the ball, all work without the ball....and some players coming back only had one training session.

I didn't say nothing had changed, i said very little, but that was not a criticism.....I said in an earlier post we was pressing in the first half.

my point was leaning towards much to look forward to.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

so Danny Murphy has picked up Dean Smith for ( in his words )having a sly dig at Steve Bruce's training methods.

Well " If the cap fits wear it"

Sorry Danny, not having that, he was asked a question and give an honest answer, that's all.

If Steve Bruce chose to not work his players with such intensity are we all to walk on eggshells to avoid any criticism.

Grow some Danny.

We are here to see Aston Villa Prosper and the new manager has different ways of approaching it, that's all he alluded to.....not walk around harbouring hidden agenda's to satisfy the out going manager.

I spent many posts defending Steve Bruce.....I am defending Dean Smith on this one.

Can’t stand Danny Murphy. One of the worst pundit/co-commentators out there 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not arguing with that....but it depends what you are looking for.

Dean said himself, they did nothing all week with the ball, all work without the ball....and some players coming back only had one training session.

I didn't say nothing had changed, i said very little, but that was not a criticism.....I said in an earlier post we was pressing in the first half.

my point was leaning towards much to look forward to.

There were a lot of subtle changes Tro. Every single throw in was played to a man. There was hardly any crosses from deep positions with the player passing it rather than aimlessly swinging in. Centre half came deep to collect the ball from the keeper which pulled Swansea’s players forward creating space in the middle. 

I was massively suprised to see these things already. 

31 minutes ago, TRO said:

so Danny Murphy has picked up Dean Smith for ( in his words )having a sly dig at Steve Bruce's training methods.

Well " If the cap fits wear it"

Sorry Danny, not having that, he was asked a question and give an honest answer, that's all.

If Steve Bruce chose to not work his players with such intensity are we all to walk on eggshells to avoid any criticism.

Grow some Danny.

We are here to see Aston Villa Prosper and the new manager has different ways of approaching it, that's all he alluded to.....not walk around harbouring hidden agenda's to satisfy the out going manager.

I spent many posts defending Steve Bruce.....I am defending Dean Smith on this one.

you lost me on Danny Murphy :P

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think the real question is, the most important question, and one that will be answered in the coming games is ' Is Dean Smith going to be a suit and tie man, or was that just for the photo opportunity on Saturday?'

Even when he does the suit, he doesn't do the tie, based on what I've seen he mostly wears the tracksuit, but might want to level up to suit the step up.

That being said, I don't care if he wears the actual cabbage which was thrown, as long as he does what he is supposed to. Lol

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There were a lot of subtle changes Tro. Every single throw in was played to a man. There was hardly any crosses from deep positions with the player passing it rather than aimlessly swinging in. Centre half came deep to collect the ball from the keeper which pulled Swansea’s players forward creating space in the middle. 

I was massively suprised to see these things already. 

yes

not trying to be pedantic, but some subtle changes can be seen from game to game under normal conditions......I think the big changes will come in time.

as an example....The first half against Preston was quite impressive, then the wheels fell off.

I was not expecting much,against Swansea but I did see us getting closer to a 90 plus minute game.....we turned the ball over much better too....and the defence looked more organised.

Edited by TRO

Â