Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, hippo said:

OK - I will await developments.

But where does your confidence in him come from ?

From how Brentford play whilst turning a profit and losing their players every year. I think he knows how he wants his players to play. He just needs the players that can do it. 

• Like 1

I said it prior to him taking over and I'll say it again. Hourihane isn't good enough. Whelan not good enough. Technically on the ball, Smith isn't going to improve them at their age. Tuanzebe was villa's best players. I don't think Norwich were particularly much fitter than us but the age profile of their team was much younger and their technique and thinking sharper. I'd be pulling o'hare from the u23s and bring him Friday night.

• Like 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

From how Brentford play whilst turning a profit and losing their players every year. I think he knows how he wants his players to play. He just needs the players that can do it. 

I didn't think Brentford were that good at VP to be honest - and when he left they hadn't won in 5 - and last season finished 8th ? was it ?

I wrote this in the Norwich thread, i think it has relevance here tbh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be fair i dont really blame the manager, its quite clear from that match, that we dont have the players to play a progressive style of play currently, apart from a few players like Abraham, tuzanebe, Elmo, Grealish, and even Kodjia showed a few nice touches on the ground, even El Ghazi showed a few glimpes of what he can do, but seemed off the pace a lot, which may be because he hasnt really played.

Norwich gave us a lesson in the style of play we want to see, and they are currently light years ahead in that area, lets not fool ourselves, we were beaten by a very good side in Norwich.

I think we need to see this as a development project, hopefully DS will have the chance to bring a few players in in January, we need a LB, CB, RB, probably a MC/DM, we prob also need 1-2 AM's, who can all play the system DS wants.

Honestly though, we need to be realistic and see that DS has inherited a fair few players who will never be able to play anything other than lump it football, if it takes 6-12 months to get the right players in, to develop the team then so be it, if we are still moaning this time next season, then i think we will have a reasonable right to ask whats going on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

The Hogan substitution was a mistake but you can see changes in style already. 

Can you?

Honest question. Because if we didn't know that we had a new manager I'm certain none of us would have noticed tonight.

That's not a dig at Smith. I am happy to give him a lot of time because he has a big job to do if he is going to change the way we play.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think we've changed style already. Tonight was as bad as we've seen all season, imo.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing has changed yet. Apart from Tuanzebe being played at CB there doesn't seem to be any positive change yet.

We have a long way to go.

But what did u expect though honestly ? We are so poor on the ball at times. The man doesn't have a magic wand. This time last year Norwich fans were giving out about farke.  Look at them now.

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

But what did u expect though honestly ? We are so poor on the ball at times. The man doesn't have a magic wand. This time last year Norwich fans were giving out about farke.  Look at them now.

I expected pretty much exactly this to be honest. I'm not criticising, just emphasising the size of the job Smith has on his hands.

• Like 1

We're very deep in the shit again. Unfortunately Bruce left us with players that are not as good as many people thought, or still think. We're still a mess, and it'll take time and many new players to turn this around. Depressing.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you?

Honest question. Because if we didn't know that we had a new manager I'm certain none of us would have noticed tonight.

That's not a dig at Smith. I am happy to give him a lot of time because he has a big job to do if he is going to change the way we play.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think we've changed style already. Tonight was as bad as we've seen all season, imo.

I have.

Its sporadic, but it’s there.

Here’s  two examples I’ve noticed.

Saturday, only one long “ channel” ball played all the First Half. Over and again players nearly did it, thought twice and passed. One brilliant chanc3 resulted from same in the Second half.

Today, two terrific periods of 15 plus passes resulted in two goal attempts.

Im not suggesting we didn’t create chances previously of course, just that these elements are different IMO.

• Like 3

I didn’t see the Swansea game but the line ups in his 2 games aseem pretty much the same line ups Bruce was putting out ... and the same “quality” of football to boot based on today 

I thought he’d have shaken it up a bit , gone 2 up top , tried a few youngster , maybe he will  he’s only 2 games in and possibly thought the experienced players would get him a few points ... but Whelan , Hutton , Taylor , Elmo  are not the future and I’d rather we didn’t see them on the pitch ... though I wouldn’t be against Jedinek giving goalkeeper a try seeing as he’s so versatile 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I said it prior to him taking over and I'll say it again. Hourihane isn't good enough. Whelan not good enough. Technically on the ball, Smith isn't going to improve them at their age. Tuanzebe was villa's best players. I don't think Norwich were particularly much fitter than us but the age profile of their team was much younger and their technique and thinking sharper. I'd be pulling o'hare from the u23s and bring him Friday night.

Why O’Hare? 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you?

Really? I think we matched one of the best teams I’ve seen this season. We weren’t good but we’ve been much poorer in my opinion.  We were fine until the changes. 

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothing has changed yet. Apart from Tuanzebe being played at CB there doesn't seem to be any positive change yet.

We have a long way to go.

Dunno, I think we look better generally.  Our defence is obviously weak, but our pressing of the ball is much, much better.

Unfortunately, instead of McGinn and Bjarnason with loads of energy, we had Hourihane and Whelan with... not that.  I still can't remember Norwich creating anything other than their 2 goals, though?  The style of play will take time to settle and we definitely looked poor under pressure (from an impressive Norwich midfield IMO) but I can see positives for sure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I didn’t see the Swansea game but the line ups in his 2 games aseem pretty much the same line ups Bruce was putting out ... and the same “quality” of football to boot based on today 

I thought he’d have shaken it up a bit , gone 2 up top , tried a few youngster , maybe he will  he’s only 2 games in and possibly thought the experienced players would get him a few points ... but Whelan , Hutton , Taylor , Elmo  are not the future and I’d rather we didn’t see them on the pitch ... though I wouldn’t be against Jedinek giving goalkeeper a try seeing as he’s so versatile 

Well.......we had a Left Back at Left Back, a Centre Back at Centre Back, a No 10 as a Number 10, for starters. So not the same line up.

And regardless of line up, the approach has been different.

And why would he “ try a few youngsters “ ?

Â