Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I thought Norwich got a lot more physical in the second half and we didn't handle it too well. A few players wanted to wave there hands in the air appealing to the ref rather than playing the whistle and getting the ball back. We created enough chances, just didn't take them. You can see the a different style developing, its just going to take a while for it to be bedded down. Disappointing loss but encouraging.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Farlz said:

Didn't agree with the Hogan sub tonight, knew straight away it wasn't going to benefit us. Kodjia should've replaced Tammy.

No he shouldn't, we needed a focal point up top not a floating forward. 

Unfortunately as it was his first game back he wasn't up to it last night.

20 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No he shouldn't, we needed a focal point up top not a floating forward. 

Unfortunately as it was his first game back he wasn't up to it last night.

Hogan is a focal point?

He can't touch or keep the ball

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Donniewyer said:

I'm sick to death of seeing him play for the foul instead of trying to do something positive with it.

This. He simply isn't as good at being creative as people are making out.

I rate Grealish, but I still think we should be looking at adding more creative players to this team ASAP, cause Grealish sure isn't up to the task by himself. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Abraham and Hogan aren't like for like swaps though, I don't think Hogan can be played as lone front man.

I think the idea behind putting Hogan on, aside from giving him some game time and a chance to show himself, was for him to run the channels more than Abraham as Norwich would likely push higher up to to get that equalizer. But the two very next touches on the ball was the corner and 1-1 goal so game plan changed.  

I didn't get the Hogan sub as we didn't change our style of play to suit him it was just a like for.like. hw is still learning the side so I can't critise him that much but we definitely need to see improvement next game.

It was exactly like the millwall game. Take the lead then a mistake and collapse. Same shit diff week

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He's young. Will suit a high press that you want from your attackers. Technically tidy on the ball. Why not ?

I don’t know much about him but I can only assume he isn’t in the team because he isn’t good enough to be. 

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

Today was a failing of the players and it’ll be like this for a while. As for bringing on Hogan, I think that was the right decision. I imagine he thought he’d be pumped and well up for impressing him. And Hogan failed. 

Bringing on Hogan is never the right decision.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I didn't get the Hogan sub as we didn't change our style of play to suit him it was just a like for.like. hw is still learning the side so I can't critise him that much but we definitely need to see improvement next game.

It was exactly like the millwall game. Take the lead then a mistake and collapse. Same shit diff week

When the game got stretched he was isolated and we got worse and worse at keeping the ball and knocking it about, everything went wide. When Hogan first cam on he made a couple of good runs for a through ball that never came but once we started to chase the game he was poor and the game suited him less and less anyway. Bringing him on at 2-0 might have been better but in hindsight kodija was the better option. He'll get more chances, and the more we work on our possession and moving the ball better the more it'll suit him.

Lots of encouraging things from last night in the first half, and the start of the second, up until Albert and Abraham came off and our shape went to pieces after they scored we looked better, more organised and played some good football too. Going to be long process this, we need to be patient, we all knew the squad was a little unbalanced (ahem). At one point you could see Kelly motioning with his hands that the team needed to be more compact when there was that shot of Kelly, Terry and Smith talking, so they were obviously trying to think of what they could do to try and get the shape back but they'd been forced into 2 changes already and Hogan wasn't working out so they had to put Kodija on I spose and that was effectively taking a body out of the middle and putting another forward on.

Today will be recovery, so only one day of training then match on Fri. The schedule really doesn't help in this league either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

When the game got stretched he was isolated and we got worse and worse at keeping the ball and knocking it about, everything went wide. When Hogan first cam on he made a couple of good runs for a through ball that never came but once we started to chase the game he was poor and the game suited him less and less anyway. Bringing him on at 2-0 might have been better but in hindsight kodija was the better option. He'll get more chances, and the more we work on our possession and moving the ball better the more it'll suit him.

Lots of encouraging things from last night in the first half, and the start of the second, up until Albert and Abraham came off and our shape went to pieces after they scored we looked better, more organised and played some good football too. Going to be long process this, we need to be patient, we all knew the squad was a little unbalanced (ahem). At one point you could see Kelly motioning with his hands that the team needed to be more compact when there was that shot of Kelly, Terry and Smith talking, so they were obviously trying to think of what they could do to try and get the shape back but they'd been forced into 2 changes already and Hogan wasn't working out so they had to put Kodija on I spose and that was effectively taking a body out of the middle and putting another forward on.

Today will be recovery, so only one day of training then match on Fri. The schedule really doesn't help in this league either.

The schedule is ridiculous. 3 games in 6 days .but then after that we have 2 games in 2 weeks so plenty of time to work with the players. 

A defeat doesn't bother me. There's so much to be positive about right now. Feels like the club is moving forward in every area. 

However, I think DS gotta consider replacing some of the seniors with a few youths. We are currently trying to move from Bruceball, with all the dross he signed to achieve that quality of football, to DS football. El Ghazi, Adomah and possibly Elmo should not play when we have alternatives like O'Hare. Just my personal opinion. O'Hare would suit the possession based football much better than any of them. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Were it not for the injuries I think we would have got something out of the game yesterday. Smith has a lot to think about and several players really need to up their game if they want to stay at the club.

That might be a problem though - the better players won't want to stay - smiths problem will be hanging on to our better players - bombing them out the door achieves very little. 

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Were it not for the injuries I think we would have got something out of the game yesterday. Smith has a lot to think about and several players really need to up their game if they want to stay at the club.

Had Smith made better use of the substitutions we could have got something last night. I thought he made poor decisions personally

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why wouldn’t they want to stay? 

Maybe I misunderstood - I thought you were proposing laying it on the line 

"several players really need to up their game if they want to stay at the club" 

Wots to stop Grealish and the better players asking there agents to find them a new club. Grealish was tearing up this division last season so the the talent is there. 

Â