Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Really? I think we matched one of the best teams I’ve seen this season. We weren’t good but we’ve been much poorer in my opinion.  We were fine until the changes. 

matched? maybe in the first half.

Second half Norwich were far superior.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We're very deep in the shit again. Unfortunately Bruce left us with players that are not as good as many people thought, or still think. We're still a mess, and it'll take time and many new players to turn this around. Depressing.

He won't get time though.

Barring an absolute disaster he gets to start next season - After that results will pretty much be demanded 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Dunno, I think we look better generally.  Our defence is obviously weak, but our pressing of the ball is much, much better.

Unfortunately, instead of McGinn and Bjarnason with loads of energy, we had Hourihane and Whelan with... not that.  I still can't remember Norwich creating anything other than their 2 goals, though?  The style of play will take time to settle and we definitely looked poor under pressure (from an impressive Norwich midfield IMO) but I can see positives for sure.

Indeed. Of course we need a style and system robust enough to withstand being without them, but for how we are trying to play at present they are key.

It is not ideal for Smith is it. He came in and half the squad were away until 2 days before his first game. Then he has 3 games in 6 days so pretty much no time to work on things in between games.

I think everything went wrong that could in the second half. Tammy and Albert getting injured left us looking disjointed and without Tammy we had no focal point up top. Smith made a mistake bringing Hogan on for him but for now he has to get a free pass on things like that given how long he has been here.

I think the players are trying hard to pass the ball around more but look really hurried at times and a number of times we lost the ball in tight situations. At the moment, especially until we become more used to this way of playing, there still have to be times you simply have to get it forward and can't play your way out from the back or out of trouble every time.

Positives from tonight were Axel was excellent and I thought Taylor did well again. I also thought at times we kept possession really well and played some nice stuff.

The main thing we learned from tonight is probably what we already knew. It is going to take time and trying to implement new ideas with games every three days is tough. I am sure we will get there though and I maintain there is plenty of quality in this squad and we have the players that are capable of adapting to Smiths way of playing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I didn’t see the Swansea game but the line ups in his 2 games aseem pretty much the same line ups Bruce was putting out ... and the same “quality” of football to boot based on today 

I thought he’d have shaken it up a bit , gone 2 up top , tried a few youngster , maybe he will  he’s only 2 games in and possibly thought the experienced players would get him a few points ... but Whelan , Hutton , Taylor , Elmo  are not the future and I’d rather we didn’t see them on the pitch ... though I wouldn’t be against Jedinek giving goalkeeper a try seeing as he’s so versatile 

I mentioned a couple times previously that I feel he is going to try and play it relatively safe until he has had more time and sussed the squad and balance out.

Also to note, a McGinn type void is seeming increasingly difficult to fill!

Just now, Stevo985 said:

matched? maybe in the first half.

Second half Norwich were far superior.

Yes after the changes as we may as well have been playing with 9 men. (I blame Smith for that as the subs were poor even if forced). 

Even then they only created one real chance in open play and scored. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

He won't get time though.

Barring an absolute disaster he gets to start next season - After that results will pretty much be demanded 

Sounds like time to me if he gets to start next season :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you?

Honest question. Because if we didn't know that we had a new manager I'm certain none of us would have noticed tonight.

That's not a dig at Smith. I am happy to give him a lot of time because he has a big job to do if he is going to change the way we play.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think we've changed style already. Tonight was as bad as we've seen all season, imo.

I agree that we were poor. The standard of some of the passing was awful at times.

That being said, there are clear differences in the set up and style.

We are pressing much higher up the pitch. The defensive line is much higher and we are far more connected as a team in general. As @terrytini mentioned the distinct lack of balls into the channel was noticeable. We were definitely trying to move the ball from the back a lot more and taking more risks with it in midfield. 

Style/set-up has changed, players need to get with the programme. Too many out of form at the minute. 

• Like 2

Watching the Norwich game, this is how i see what we need in January: (inc formation)

New GK (Sarkic?)

New RB  - - -  Tuzanabe - - - Chester - - - New LB

McGinn - - - New DM/MC

New AM - - - Grealish - - - New AM

Abraham

The only other senior players i see that could possibly also fit in to a DS system are Elmo (he actually did ok tonight), Kodjia (also looked decent with some nice crisp passing), El Ghazi (if he gets some game time and shows the glimpses or skill more consistently), and maybe Hourahaine (although i didnt see him do much of anything tonight), oh and Adomah, but i dont rly think he's suited to a close passing style.

So i think 5 or 6 new players needed, plus any we can promote from the youth setup.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Sounds like time to me if he gets to start next season :)

Touche !  - But with that squad and compared to the resources with others in this division, he should be making an impact - he badly needs a new GK - hope he can rustle up a free agent before Jan 

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Watching the Norwich game, this is how i see what we need in January: (inc formation)

New GK (Sarkic?)

McGinn - - - New DM/MC

Abraham

The only other senior players i see that could possibly also fit in to a DS system are Elmo (he actually did ok tonight), Kodjia (also looked decent with some nice crisp passing), El Ghazi (if he gets some game time and shows the glimpses or skill more consistently)m and maybe Hourahaine (although i didnt see him do much of anything tonight).

So i think 5 new players needed, plus any we can promote from the youth setup.

Shows the size of the job at hand.

Just now, Villan4Life said:

Jake Doyle-Hayes would do a good job in this passing Dean Smith team to be fair.

By Xmas could see him being regular if given a chance

Agreed. We need younger, fitter players for a high press game. 

If we could bring back our loan players (which i know we can't), something like this would inject alot more energy into the side.

Steer

Bree    Axel    Chester    Clark

D Hayes    McGinn

O'hare       Grealish     Adomah

Abraham 

I don't quite agree with DS's assessment of the Norwich game. They were excellent and deserved the win.You could tell one team was a finished product while the other was a work in progress. It's understandable given the limited time on the training ground so far. 

Once he's managed to work on the ball retention and passing I'm sure we will be as good as, or better, than Norwich soon enough. 

Edited by Made In Aston

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

New GK (Sarkic?)

McGinn - - - New DM/MC

Abraham

The only other senior players i see that could possibly also fit in to a DS system are Elmo (he actually did ok tonight), Kodjia (also looked decent with some nice crisp passing), El Ghazi (if he gets some game time and shows the glimpses or skill more consistently)m and maybe Hourahaine (although i didnt see him do much of anything tonight).

So i think 5 new players needed, plus any we can promote from the youth setup.

New GK (Bentley - Brentford or Heaton on loan)

New RB (thinking of one currently)  - - -  Tuzanabe - - - Chester - - - (Mitch Clark)

McGinn - - - New DM/MC (Phillip Billing on loan, Romaine Sawyers (Knows Smiths football( or grab Tom Bayliss from Cov)

(Saïd Benrahma - Brentford) - - - (new Playrmaker not Jack) 

Abraham  & (Ollie Watkins (Brentford)

Edited by Villan4Life

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Also to note, a McGinn type void is seeming increasingly difficult to fill!

Spot on, we really missed his energy. We’ll need him on Friday, QPR currently 3rd in the form table. Hopefully every day we get a little bit fitter, because one of the reasons we can’t play for 90 minutes, with the intensity Smith wants, is that we don’t have the fitness levels. Norwich were definitely fitter than us in the second half. 

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you?

Honest question. Because if we didn't know that we had a new manager I'm certain none of us would have noticed tonight.

That's not a dig at Smith. I am happy to give him a lot of time because he has a big job to do if he is going to change the way we play.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think we've changed style already. Tonight was as bad as we've seen all season, imo.

100% and even down to the substitution - that was a bruce-esque thing to do...but he mentioned that the equaliser came from a zone where tammy would have been so surely made sense that you make a like for like change. i cant believe that in the few days he's had on the training ground he's actually been able to teach the team how to play to hogan's strengths

of course he gets time, that's the beauty of being new to the job. anyone saying we've changed style are because they're actively looking for differences. i definitely would say we're showing more intensity in pressing up top but we did that at times too under bruce (qpr away last season off top of my head) and frankly not pressing high hasn't been the reason we've not been winning games. i get why he's asked them to do it, it's because our defence is shite and defending from the front hopefully reduces how much the ball gets anywhere near that shower we have at the back so i definitely see the rationale behind that, i just worry how sustainable that is with over 30 games still to play

positives: we are, by some **** miracle, only 8 points off top of the league, with plenty of time, and a transfer window to come with cash on the hip...not giving up hope yet. i wanted 6 points this week, but will be tough as somehow that wally has qpr firing

6 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

New GK (Bentley - Brentford or Heaton on loan)

New RB (thinking of one currently)  - - -  Tuzanabe - - - Chester - - - (Mitch Clark)

McGinn - - - New DM/MC (Phillip Billing on loan, Romaine Sawyers (Knows Smiths football( or grab Tom Bayliss from Cov)

(Saïd Benrahma - Brentford) - - - (new Playrmaker not Jack) 

Abraham  & (Ollie Watkins (Brentford)

To be fair to Grealish, he does hold on to the ball too long, but from what i saw tonight i think half of the reason is a) he doesnt have anyone competent to pass to, and b) most of the players just arent on his wave length, i think if he was in a team of "progressive footballers", we would likely see a very different Grealish, but i do agree he ponders and holds on to the ball too long at times.

Edited by MaVilla

Â