Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Barney_avfc said:

I actually look forward to hearing from our boss for a change. Refreshing and a hell of a lot more incite taken from his interviews. 

He can't give away his trade secrets....but he does seem to know exactly what is going on.

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

yes

not trying to be pedantic, but some subtle changes can be seen from game to game under normal conditions......I think the big changes will come in time.

as an example....The first half against Preston was quite impressive, then the wheels fell off.

I was not expecting much,against Swansea but I did see us getting closer to a 90 plus minute game.....we turned the ball over much better too....and the defence looked more organised.

True but the changes I saw were something I hadn’t seen for the past 2 years and that’s no exaggeration. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are good changes and will make us a better team. But there were definitely changes.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So... with Smith's second game a little over 24 hours away I find myself excited ahead of a game, it has been quite some time since I felt that way.

It isn't so much an excitement of anticipation of the game itself, its more that its the next step on a journey. Unfortunately we are at the time of year when those steps are going to be coming thick and fast and there won't be that much time on the training ground.

The excitement and anticipation is more about progress, about seeing coaching in effect, about seeing a team working towards something rather than just striving for something, there is a marked difference between the two.

Smith had a few days with the players, 1 or 2 in some cases but it to me at least was clearly evident that things have changed at BMH and that signs of change were already out on the pitch at Villa Park.

We played higher up the pitch, we started on the front foot with a clear attacking mentality, players were in their correct positions, wingers were higher up the pitch, the defence was higher up the pitch. We worked har harder and faster to win the ball back, I thought to a small degree we used it better as well. Not bad for a few days work most of which was non ball work. Promising.

But what is more promising is listening to Smith talk, I could listen to him for a considerable amount of time I'm sure. This compared to a manager I've not been able to bare listing to for more than 12 months. That isn't really about them as individuals its about what they say, their attitudes to the game, they couldn't be further apart in their views. I won't dwell on the man before Smith, I've nothing new to add about him and I want to look to the future and the future is so musher brighter when you hear a manager after a in talking about areas that need to be improved such as ball retention.

I would like to think even the most ardent of Bruce supporter or supporter that was reluctant for us to make another change can see the vast difference in their respective approaches to the game. For me I think Bruce looks even more outdated ever time Smith speaks and talking about when he speaks, its so lovely to hear a local accent from the guy running our team!

I thought Smith got everything right on Saturday including the subs, some of the stuff I've seen on here and elsewhere in relation to Grealish is utterly ridiculous. If him being substituted somehow makes his departure more likely then I hope he goes on January 1st. Not because I want him to go, far from it, but if we were in a situation of such a scenario then we should remove him or any player from the club at the first opportunity. Thankfully I don't buy this thinking at all.

Back to Smith, what I've found interesting about his public appearances so far, other than hearing about his views on the job/game, is how he has handled the 'Villa fan' thing. It would have been so easy to jump on it, to tug on the heart strings, to talk about our shared passion. Smith hasn't gone near any of that, in fact I'd say on at least two occasions I've heard him down play it, distance himself from being a Villa fan even. That to me is interesting for a number of reasons.

First of all, it shows a self belief. He isn't playing to the crowd, he isn't buying himself time by saying "I'm one of you", he isn't making a big deal of it the way someone like Gregory did when he arrived. This is a guy saying I'm a professional, there is a history there but I got this job and I took this job on merit not because of who I supported as a kid, that is some self belief and backbone and he is right he didn't get this job for any other reason than his coaching performance and pedigree. 

I'm hugely impressed by that about him because lets face it somewhere inside there is that kid from the Holte, the kid that went to Rotterdam. Just imagine being him right now, but he would rather talk about phases of play, resting in possession, setting traps, working without the ball, ball retention...... that is what I've wanted from someone in charge of our team. Not talking about having a right good go, rolling sleeves up and working hard' because those things alone don't win football matches any more on a consistent enough basis to be successful.

I'm excited about tomorrow, not because I think we are going to win. Not because I can't wait to be entertained or I think we are going to play like Barca. But because it will be interesting to see more evidence of coaching, to see signs of improvement, of development and to get a glimpse of hopefully what we will become under Smith.

Unfortunately due to our start to the season results are all fairly crucial now if we are to have any chance of getting back into promotion contention but I honestly think how we play is more important than the results. If we get that right the results will follow.

Exciting times to be a Villa fan, I've not really felt that since O'Neill arrived even if I was briefly win drunk under Bruce before the reality of his approach sobered me.

Anyway... I'll shut up now! It's just nice to feel passionate about Villa again after what I think have been largely two dire years irrespective of the wins.

I concur

He does seem to be more about Purpose than Platitudes and I too, am impressed with his observations.....Its nice to be privvy to them.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

For me I think Bruce looks even more outdated ever time Smith speaks and talking about when he speaks, its so lovely to hear a local accent from the guy running our team!

Agree with your whole post but wanted to highlight this part. It's so nice to have a manager that actually adds a bit of tactical analysis when he speaks.

9 hours ago, KHV said:

We were lucky to get the win. When your goalkeeper is a contender for man of the match you know things are not great. We were all over the place a lot of the time. 

Yeah, honestly a lot of it looked like the players followed the new instructions for some of the first half, then slowly one by one drifted back to their usual game. Again to be expected with such a short amount of coaching time, but it was noticeable for sure.

On 17/10/2018 at 19:16, CosmicVillan said:

How many players have been deemed surplus to requirements and are currently playing at clubs above us ?

Ciaran Clark. Nathan Baker , Gary Cahill , Joe Bennett,  Enda Stevens,  Derrick Williams

Mark Albrighton , Barry Bannan ,  Adama Traore ,   Ashley Westwood ,  Matt Lowton ,

Andi Wiemann

And Jonathan Hogg. Let him go for peanuts, now a  prem league player.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I wonder why Danny Murphy didn’t ride in to defend the honour of Di Matteo when Bruce said this after his first game in charge -

Makes interesting reading, doesn’t it Danny boy...

Death, taxes and a new manager saying the team isn’t fit enough. 

Think I called it as incoming sometime last week. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

When I don't understand a word or a somewhat technical phrase I'll put a bit of research in, ask questions of those I feel might be more knowledgeable than me in the chosen subject. There's a fantastic book by James Wilson called 'Inverting the Pyramid' which details the evolution of tactics over the last century and beyond. I'd recommend it to you but I am 110% certain you wouldn't read it. 

I'm confident Ron Saunders had a tactical philosophy. So did Steve Bruce, it was just a decade out of date. Dean Smith isn't reinventing the wheel here, he's simply choosing to clue the fans in on what we are trying to do rather than treating them like idiots who won't be able to understand complicated words like 'overload', or put the effort in to find out what they mean in a football context. Maybe he has overestimated us. 

That book sounds interesting, I’m going to check it out. Thanks for mentioning it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Back to Smith, what I've found interesting about his public appearances so far, other than hearing about his views on the job/game, is how he has handled the 'Villa fan' thing. It would have been so easy to jump on it, to tug on the heart strings, to talk about our shared passion. Smith hasn't gone near any of that, in fact I'd say on at least two occasions I've heard him down play it, distance himself from being a Villa fan even. That to me is interesting for a number of reasons.

I fully agree with all you have said in your post and I must say I'm very glad that you are back with your thoughtfull and sensible reflections.

I'd like to highlight this part as it was something I was slightly worried about how he would handle, or what would be made of it by the press. The way he has gone on about it just confirms to me what a genuine and professional football man he is. As you say it could have been easy for him to win some easy points with this, but I noticed when he first was presented how he played it down and said something about his family perhaps being more emotional about it than he was. I first thought he played down his own emotions a little bit too much, almost as if I was disappointed that he didn't proclaim what a supporter of the club he is. When reflecting upon it, it's an act of class towards his old club as well. It is also very clever as he shows that he is here because he has earned it, not partly because he is a supporter. And it's reassuring to know that he first and foremost will make rational football coach decisions, and not emotional supporter decisions.

He shows that he is here because he is the best man for the job, and I just love it. More so knowing that within he is a supporter who cares as much as we do, but who won't let that come in the way of his decisions.  

With fear of the usual early minute analysis and  overhype. Small thing, but in the video he comments on how the energy levels dropped. I like that his solution was practical, to rest in possession, rather than simply ‘have better stamia/energy levels’. To echo everyone, he seems a solutions guy. Highlighting solutions not only problems. It feels good ATM. Could all go tits up of course. 

26 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I fully agree with all you have said in your post and I must say I'm very glad that you are back with your thoughtfull and sensible reflections.

I'd like to highlight this part as it was something I was slightly worried about how he would handle, or what would be made of it by the press. The way he has gone on about it just confirms to me what a genuine and professional football man he is. As you say it could have been easy for him to win some easy points with this, but I noticed when he first was presented how he played it down and said something about his family perhaps being more emotional about it than he was. I first thought he played down his own emotions a little bit too much, almost as if I was disappointed that he didn't proclaim what a supporter of the club he is. When reflecting upon it, it's an act of class towards his old club as well. It is also very clever as he shows that he is here because he has earned it, not partly because he is a supporter. And it's reassuring to know that he first and foremost will make rational football coach decisions, and not emotional supporter decisions.

He shows that he is here because he is the best man for the job, and I just love it. More so knowing that within he is a supporter who cares as much as we do, but who won't let that come in the way of his decisions.  

Thanks - appreciate that ?

I had a similar initial reaction, I was disappointed having expected him to be more impassioned about it.

When I stopped and thought about it though, what I posted earlier was the logical explanation, you rightly add to that re Brentford.

I also think he probably knows that some of the local and indeed national media are sympathetic if not supportive of Bruce, some will be waiting to hammer him and those who appointed him so again down playing the fan angle is smart.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

So... with Smith's second game a little over 24 hours away I find myself excited ahead of a game, it has been quite some time since I felt that way.

It isn't so much an excitement of anticipation of the game itself, its more that its the next step on a journey. Unfortunately we are at the time of year when those steps are going to be coming thick and fast and there won't be that much time on the training ground.

The excitement and anticipation is more about progress, about seeing coaching in effect, about seeing a team working towards something rather than just striving for something, there is a marked difference between the two.

Smith had a few days with the players, 1 or 2 in some cases but it to me at least was clearly evident that things have changed at BMH and that signs of change were already out on the pitch at Villa Park.

We played higher up the pitch, we started on the front foot with a clear attacking mentality, players were in their correct positions, wingers were higher up the pitch, the defence was higher up the pitch. We worked har harder and faster to win the ball back, I thought to a small degree we used it better as well. Not bad for a few days work most of which was non ball work. Promising.

But what is more promising is listening to Smith talk, I could listen to him for a considerable amount of time I'm sure. This compared to a manager I've not been able to bare listing to for more than 12 months. That isn't really about them as individuals its about what they say, their attitudes to the game, they couldn't be further apart in their views. I won't dwell on the man before Smith, I've nothing new to add about him and I want to look to the future and the future is so musher brighter when you hear a manager after a in talking about areas that need to be improved such as ball retention.

I would like to think even the most ardent of Bruce supporter or supporter that was reluctant for us to make another change can see the vast difference in their respective approaches to the game. For me I think Bruce looks even more outdated ever time Smith speaks and talking about when he speaks, its so lovely to hear a local accent from the guy running our team!

I thought Smith got everything right on Saturday including the subs, some of the stuff I've seen on here and elsewhere in relation to Grealish is utterly ridiculous. If him being substituted somehow makes his departure more likely then I hope he goes on January 1st. Not because I want him to go, far from it, but if we were in a situation of such a scenario then we should remove him or any player from the club at the first opportunity. Thankfully I don't buy this thinking at all.

First of all, it shows a self belief. He isn't playing to the crowd, he isn't buying himself time by saying "I'm one of you", he isn't making a big deal of it the way someone like Gregory did when he arrived. This is a guy saying I'm a professional, there is a history there but I got this job and I took this job on merit not because of who I supported as a kid, that is some self belief and backbone and he is right he didn't get this job for any other reason than his coaching performance and pedigree. 

I'm hugely impressed by that about him because lets face it somewhere inside there is that kid from the Holte, the kid that went to Rotterdam. Just imagine being him right now, but he would rather talk about phases of play, resting in possession, setting traps, working without the ball, ball retention...... that is what I've wanted from someone in charge of our team. Not talking about having a right good go, rolling sleeves up and working hard' because those things alone don't win football matches any more on a consistent enough basis to be successful.

I'm excited about tomorrow, not because I think we are going to win. Not because I can't wait to be entertained or I think we are going to play like Barca. But because it will be interesting to see more evidence of coaching, to see signs of improvement, of development and to get a glimpse of hopefully what we will become under Smith.

Unfortunately due to our start to the season results are all fairly crucial now if we are to have any chance of getting back into promotion contention but I honestly think how we play is more important than the results. If we get that right the results will follow.

Exciting times to be a Villa fan, I've not really felt that since O'Neill arrived even if I was briefly win drunk under Bruce before the reality of his approach sobered me.

Anyway... I'll shut up now! It's just nice to feel passionate about Villa again after what I think have been largely two dire years irrespective of the wins.

The only thing that upsets me about your post, is I wish I had the ability to write it. 

Totally spot on. Nice one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There's a fantastic book by James Wilson called 'Inverting the Pyramid' which details the evolution of tactics over the last century and beyond. I'd recommend it to you but I am 110% certain you wouldn't read it. 

I'm confident Ron Saunders had a tactical philosophy. So did Steve Bruce, it was just a decade out of date. Dean Smith isn't reinventing the wheel here, he's simply choosing to clue the fans in on what we are trying to do rather than treating them like idiots who won't be able to understand complicated words like 'overload', or put the effort in to find out what they mean in a football context. Maybe he has overestimated us. 

Bold 1 - Very true....I’d go so far as to say essential reading for anyone that wants to look a bit further than whether they enjoyed a game or not.

Bold 2 - lol.

• Like 2

Â