Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I may quickly be proved wrong when we line up against QPR but Smith doesn't strike me as someone that will simply "go again". I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 or 4 changes, nor would i be suprised to see Doyle Hayes and Callum O'hare make the match day squads before too long. The fact we were blowing out of our arses in the second half will have concerned him, so injecting some youthful energy could be tempting. 

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the players are trying hard to pass the ball around more but look really hurried at times and a number of times we lost the ball in tight situations. At the moment, especially until we become more used to this way of playing, there still have to be times you simply have to get it forward and can't play your way out from the back or out of trouble every time.

This. At times it felt they were far too focused on not giving up possession, needlessly trying any crazy pass available. It's actually a miracle we didn't get punished more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Spot on, we really missed his energy. We’ll need him on Friday, QPR currently 3rd in the form table. Hopefully every day we get a little bit fitter, because one of the reasons we can’t play for 90 minutes, with the intensity Smith wants, is that we don’t have the fitness levels. Norwich were definitely fitter than us in the second half. 

This is what I’m referring to when I mention having a Plan B.

As Manager he cant just say “this is how we play” regardless of whether the players can do it for 90 minutes. ( I’m not saying he IS saying that btw). He needs a plan for when we run out of steam, or when the opposition counters our approach.

Of course one of the key ways is to be more savvy at when, and how, to press, which will come with time. But until then we might just have to hope we go 2 up quickly in a fair few games !

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Didn't agree with the Hogan sub tonight, knew straight away it wasn't going to benefit us. Kodjia should've replaced Tammy.

Hogans introduction gave the game away. 

I know Smith has had, in the past implemented this idea of rotating the captaincy in the belief that there should be 5/6 leaders on the pitch, but it is clear to me that we don't even have one. 

The whole squad (McGinn aside) is full of followers, we are desperate for a leader on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

I may quickly be proved wrong when we line up against QPR but Smith doesn't strike me as someone that will simply "go again". I wouldn't be suprised to see 3 or 4 changes, nor would i be suprised to see Doyle Hayes and Callum O'hare make the match day squads before too long. The fact we were blowing out of our arses in the second half will have concerned him, so injecting some youthful energy could be tempting. 

I don't think they'll start games yet but i agree definetely need to be in the squad now. Thought doyle-hayes was like a rabbit stuck in headlights against yeovil. But the age profile of the squad needs to be lowered to play the football we want to play.

I think Hogan and El ghazi came on instead of Kodj and Bolasie (yes I know he wasn’t in the squad), to give them a kick in the ass. Yes it backfired, but for me it was Smith saying neither of you worked hard enough Saturday so I’m putting someone else on instead. 

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Can you?

Honest question. Because if we didn't know that we had a new manager I'm certain none of us would have noticed tonight.

That's not a dig at Smith. I am happy to give him a lot of time because he has a big job to do if he is going to change the way we play.

But I think people are kidding themselves if they think we've changed style already. Tonight was as bad as we've seen all season, imo.

There's definitely been a shift, shown mostly in the first half of both games. We seem to tire by the 55th minute and revert to type which is concerning.

We press a lot more than we did, and higher up the pitch. We were trying to get on the front foot as soon as we won the ball back. The defence played higher up the pitch and tried to spring counters quickly when we won back possession etc.

It all faded in the second half and it looked like a typical Bruce game out there. But I've seen enough to tell me that there's a concerted effort to change our style. It might take a while though as we all expected.

• Like 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

I don't think they'll start games yet but i agree definetely need to be in the squad now. Thought doyle-hayes was like a rabbit stuck in headlights against yeovil. But the age profile of the squad needs to be lowered to play the football we want to play.

You may be right about those 2, but there are countless teams in this division (tonights opposition being one) that seamlessly promote a lot of youth into there squads and benefit from it. 

We more than matched Norwich in the first half tonight before being blown away after the interval. I genuinely believe that second half was more to down to energy levels than superior quality. 

I know its a standard excuse for incoming managers to blame fitness levels, but i think in this instance it is a valid excuse for Smith. Yes he is asking them to press more, but many teams press and aren't dead on their feet after 60mins. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know its a standard excuse for incoming managers to blame fitness levels, but i think in this instance it is a valid excuse for Smith. Yes he is asking them to press more, but many teams press and aren't dead on their feet after 60mins. 

We have been like this for some time.....that's why we haven't pressed in the past.

In terms of the tiredness, I remember reading an interview of a Huddersfield player after Wagner took over. He said the first couple of games they blew up after 60 minutes, the third or fourth after 70 and so on. He was asking them to press in a way they never had. The whole rotation thing is in the knowledge that this will happen. It's a realisation of the actual by the manager, not a failure. 

• Like 1

Today was a failing of the players and it’ll be like this for a while. As for bringing on Hogan, I think that was the right decision. I imagine he thought he’d be pumped and well up for impressing him. And Hogan failed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Today was a failing of the players and it’ll be like this for a while. As for bringing on Hogan, I think that was the right decision. I imagine he thought he’d be pumped and well up for impressing him. And Hogan failed. 

Abraham and Hogan aren't like for like swaps though, I don't think Hogan can be played as lone front man.

Â