Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'm pleased for him. plenty said he wouldn't get another PL job

it's a fairly easy gig. they're not expected to stay up and he should walk the championship

If you're getting thumped every week which they will because they've invested nothing and it isn't even a great Championship squad to begi with then it doesn't make the expectations...you're going to get hammered in the press and stands.

They aren't nailed on to come back up either. Their squad is poor. And it's getting worse the more the main hitters are aging.

I don't think he'll be expected to stay up this season. Go down, regroup in the Championship, bring them back up with a better chance of staying up next time.

Not sure it's the best job for him, but Norwich have played an absolute blinder

Was hoping he would walk in to a better job but I really think Norwich is a good fit for him, a nice club in a nice part of the world, no real pressure, I'd expect him to get them punching a little above their weight and hopefully keep them up.

Good luck Deano.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They’re 5 points behind us and three points from safety. They’re hardly down already.

Yep. He's not going in there planning for next season. They are in the the fight, they're not adrift.

Now I think their squad is poor but at least he can finally manage Rashica.

• Like 1

Good luck to him, I’m sure he’ll get an amazing reception when he returns to VP. More than deserves it, I imagine it will be an emotional moment for him.

Hope he takes some players off our hands.

Can we cancel Tuanzebe’s loan? He can join Dean there instead. I think he’s been an utter liability and a “shirker”. Far too weak and cowardly to be a quality PL CB imo.

The likes of El Ghazi, Trez, Nakamba & Davis (🙏) are welcome to join him too. Young too if we get a new LB in Jan (pointless signing so far imo). We have to enhance our squad… part of the reason for our struggles is just how poor it is. There are major deficiencies… we need to freshen it up and improve it and I think we’re going be be busy in Jan (not the best window tbh though). Have to strengthen in midfield and I think we will in defence too…

Hause may be an interesting and likely signing for him… we need the backup at CB but his contract is running down (no sign of renewal as of yet) and he’s never going to be first choice here. Asking price would be low I would imagine.

Maybe we could help him out with a loan or two also…

• Like 1

Agree with the above sentiment. They're almost certainly going down irrespective of the manager. If they do, Smith will probably find himself needing to rebuild his reputation in the championship before trying for another prem job. He's better off waiting for another position to come up.

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

They’re 5 points behind us and three points from safety. They’re hardly down already.

Got some easyish games coming up as well and just won a game, I watched them,  Rashica looked quality . 

I think he's making a mistake. Could have taken a few months off to travel around Europe, watch some football, meet some foreign coaches, do a bit of scouting, and then look for a role in the summer.

Big question with Norwich is what his coaching team is going to look like. Very interested to find out who has remained loyal to him.

Wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do, though.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Football is a funny old game. If he joins, he'll be joining a Norwich side minus Emi Buendia (for some weird reason) and starting his tenure against Southampton.

Southampton in good form but that's a winnable game for them. If they do that they may only be two points off us.....hopefully not but there's a couple of teams on 10/11 points currently so would be in reach.

I think it's a logical move for him. I'm not sure they'll be clubs higher in the prem who'd have taken him at later points this season so taking over a side who yes may go down but have proven they can bounce back quickly is his best bet. Would be same if he took the West Brom job but that would likely be difficult now for a few reasons.

Wilder has two promotions on his CV and lead Sheffield to top 10. Bad six months of form and all he can get is Boro who are mid table in championship so I reckon Dean has taken note of that. I really can't see likes of Leicester, Spurs and Everton fighting themselves over DS next time they change manager so that's something he has to weigh up, Brighton feels realistic fit for him but Potter seems settled there.

34 minutes ago, regular_john said:

Agree with the above sentiment. They're almost certainly going down irrespective of the manager. If they do, Smith will probably find himself needing to rebuild his reputation in the championship before trying for another prem job. He's better off waiting for another position to come up.

Which other prem club would take him though? Can't see any major prem club looking at him bar Brighton if they count. Perhaps Brentford would take him back but they could still go down along with Norwich.

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think he's making a mistake. Could have taken a few months off to travel around Europe, watch some football, meet some foreign coaches, do a bit of scouting, and then look for a role in the summer.

Big question with Norwich is what his coaching team is going to look like. Very interested to find out who has remained loyal to him.

Wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do, though.

Don't want him turning into Paul Lambert 😂

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Norwich are down - avoid it Dean. Just don’t do it. 

Nah it’s a smart move. They expect to go down but he’ll have a solid shot at bringing them right back up. Then he’s a PL manager again with two promotions on his CV. He’ll always get a top Championship job after that and very possibly another PL shot if he makes a good go of surviving either this season or when they come back up. And probably bank £4m in the meantime.

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Young too if we get a new LB in Jan (pointless signing so far imo).

Sad as it is to say, bringing Young on with ten mins to go 2-0 up against Wolves has ended up costing Smith his job and wrecked our season.

Deans departure is such a shame but it had to happen. A truly great man without a bad bone in his body . Thats why we have been left with mixed feelings. But this is an ambitious set of owners . They really will not give a shite about how great he is as a man. But my god they backed him when he was here.  A great man and a decent manager is how i will remember him.  Now they have their first choice to take us forward in place they will i am sure back Gerrard equally heavily . And that is good news 

Â