Dean Smith

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The quickest turnaround i can remember from a manager been sacked and getting another job in the PL in what will probably be 8, 9 days when appointed. Fair play to him. His stock hasn’t fallen too much as, clearly.

Check his record, apart from 5 games he did rather well. Bet Delia couldn't believe her luck when we swapped him for a world class top 4 manager from the SPL.

A real no brainer from their point of view tbh. Unless they was tempted in taking a punt on a young up and coming manager who had managed Derby in the championship and Chelsea in the premier League, Probably to much of a gamble for them. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I don’t get why that’s weird*. Smith is a Villa fan and all round nice guy. I hope he has an incredibly successful rest-of-career.

* (Assuming OP mentioned “aside from against Villa”)

The OP did.  The OP is also very handsome, WB.

• Haha 2

I think he'd be under consideration for five or six jobs in the premier league if they became available and anyone in the championship that could afford him would want him, but I imagine that there would only be three for four clubs in that division that he'd consider. I wouldn't completely rule him out keeping them up but confess it seems very unlikely.

Dean reminds me of Nigel Adkins, maybe that is unfair on him but I fear for him. I can see him dropping down the divisions and becoming a journeyman coach.  I do think some Villa fans are overstating his abilities a bit. I want us to smash him though when we play them, no sentiment at all.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

Dean reminds me of Nigel Adkins, maybe that is unfair on him but I fear for him. I can see him dropping down the divisions and becoming a journeyman coach.  I do think some Villa fans are overstating his abilities a bit. I want us to smash him though when we play them, no sentiment at all.

It's exactly how I felt when I thought of it ( Adkins - Pochettino situation etc - perhaps a little unfair but justified within the owners ambitions ). My comment earlier on thinking he was jumping in too quick was along the same lines.

I meant it more out of concern, than slight.

I think he should have waited a bit. Then again, in one of his last interviews he said he's motivated by " proving people wrong ".

It could actually go well, must admit, was weird seeing him with their shield beside him in the story I saw. 

I do reckon he could have possibly gotten a slightly better club, more along the lines of Southampton etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I hope he does well but name me one manager since the 60s that has left or been sacked by Villa that has gone on and been a success? 

Could say the same about most mid table clubs though. How many Newcastle or Everton managers have had good careers for example? 

Just now, Zatman said:

Could say the same about most mid table clubs though. How many Newcastle or Everton managers have had good careers for example? 

We wern't always a mid table club though. It goes back a long time as well.  History is against Smith going on and being a successful manager. If he does then fair play to him. 

44 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

No actually, hoping that a fellow Villa fan and genuinely nice person does well in his future job is a lot less weird than slagging him off because he *checks notes* didn't meet your expectations in a job he's no longer employed in.

in fairness he should have qualified us for Champions League already

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Guess Moyes and that Ancelotti bloke aren’t doing too badly… 

• Like 1

Dean and Jack it was a romantic 3 years we all bought into.  That is what concerns me about Gerrard the dressing room harmony the looking at players that fit that.  For this reason I think Dean needs the time to build that ethos at Norwich.  If Farke has done his homework no issues.  They may not stay up to due to quality but they will be up there next year.

It's a risk taking the Norwich job but it makes sense. He's already got a fat severance from us and now he can double dip with Norwich. Worst thing is they get relegated, he gets the sack and another severance and he can then go golf year round til he feels like managing again. 

Remember Dean was earning about 300k a year at Brentford. Now a mere 3 years later he is probably 5 million to the good. That's generational wealth for his family.  If Norwich are willing to pay him PL wages just to give it a go you can't blame him for accepting the offer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Platt said:

Dean and Jack it was a romantic 3 years we all bought into.  That is what concerns me about Gerrard the dressing room harmony the looking at players that fit that.  For this reason I think Dean needs the time to build that ethos at Norwich.  If Farke has done his homework no issues.  They may not stay up to due to quality but they will be up there next year.

I hope we still have that criteria in place. We've signed a whole host of good-uns since NSWE came in.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

So it still proves you wrong. 

but the point is still valid because if I say Graham Taylor went on to manage England after Villa, you'll say look at how that turned out eventually so it depends what point in their career post Villa you are talking about.  I think Moyes is a tremendous manager and was on a hiding to nothing replacing Ferguson at Man U and it knocked him back a bit but doing tremendously well now at West Ham but we know football and that could so quickly change and 12 months down the line he could be sacked for whatever.  We've see it happen so many times even dramatically like Ranieri who after winning the title, just over six months later, was sacked.

Your original point though is still valid that managers at Villa rarely go onto bigger things but to be honest there are only about 10 clubs jobs bigger than Villa in Europe (the rest are arguably sideways steps or mostly backward steps).

Â