Dean Smith

Demitri_C

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Moyes failed in about 5 jobs for 7 years. He got lucky West Ham risked bringing him back

He also got unlucky that Gold and Sullivan got horny for Pellegrini. He took over in his first stint and was building the club up to way he would have liked it, then they saw a fancy manager and appointed him, realised they made a mess of it and reappointed him.

Anyway I hope that Smith does well.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

but the point is still valid because if I say Graham Taylor went on to manage England after Villa, you'll say look at how that turned out eventually so it depends what point in their career post Villa you are talking about.  I think Moyes is a tremendous manager and was on a hiding to nothing replacing Ferguson at Man U and it knocked him back a bit but doing tremendously well now at West Ham but we know football and that could so quickly change and 12 months down the line he could be sacked for whatever.  We've see it happen so many times even dramatically like Ranieri who after winning the title, just over six months later, was sacked.

Your original point though is still valid that managers at Villa rarely go onto bigger things but to be honest there are only about 10 clubs jobs bigger than Villa in Europe (the rest are arguably sideways steps or mostly backward steps).

Yes Taylor's ambition was always to be England manager and he was never the same after that failed. Just remember someone saying that its one of the hardest jobs in football because the expectations of the fans are far higher than  what the reality is. Managers were generally burnt out after the villa job. i dont think this will be the case with Smith though. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

No. Because he couldn’t fit them all onto the pitch at the same time anyway.

Even if he could, our central midfield area is too weak for us to push for anything near Europe. 

So many people are looking for answers to our form that don’t exist. We didn’t address the areas that badly needed addressing in the Summer. On top of that, we lost our best player. It’s really that simple.

IMO, Smith never had a chance. 

If Smith never had a chance and didn't have the ability to convince the club that we needed to address certain positions in the team, he was Head Coach! then why on earth did people want to keep Smith and give him more time?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You can't be serious.

Yes there only about 10 or so clubs bigger than us in Europe, the rest would arguably be equivalent or less.  How big the PL is in terms of money and attraction it’s hard for others to compete for resources and such so you’d only have Barca, R Madrid, Ath Madrid, Bayern, PSG, some Italian teams and then it’s only PL teams.

Obviously have other metrics where we’d be further down the list or whatever but with spending power and PL attractiveness aside from the elite the rest are about the same as us or worse shown by our spend the last few years which most couldn’t match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yes there only about 10 or so clubs bigger than us in Europe, the rest would arguably be equivalent or less.  How big the PL is in terms of money and attraction it’s hard for others to compete for resources and such so you’d only have Barca, R Madrid, Ath Madrid, Bayern, PSG, some Italian teams and then it’s only PL teams.

Obviously have other metrics where we’d be further down the list or whatever but with spending power and PL attractiveness aside from the elite the rest are about the same as us or worse shown by our spend the last few years which most couldn’t match.

Way off. 

England: Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle (unfortunately, now). 

France: PSG, Lyon, Marseille

Germany: Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig

Netherlands: Ajax

Spain: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla,

Portugal: Porto, Benfica

Italy: Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma, Atalanta 

Thats 28 there for starters that I can think off at the top of my head. I don’t think we are that big of a pull, yet! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

So bad it could have been made by various posters on here! 

Why are there so many dumbasses out there? 🤣

Villa Watch? You need to watch yourself mate 🤣

Edited by Jas10

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Way off. 

England: Chelsea, Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal, Leicester, West Ham, Newcastle (unfortunately, now). 

France: PSG, Lyon, Marseille

Germany: Bayern Munich, Dortmund, RB Leipzig

Netherlands: Ajax

Spain: Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla,

Portugal: Porto, Benfica

Italy: Juventus, Inter Milan, AC Milan, Napoli, Roma, Atalanta 

Thats 28 there for starters that I can think off at the top of my head. I don’t think we are that big of a pull, yet! 

Not a chance mate! A lot of those are level with us or less.  The amount of pull the PL has and money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Not a chance mate! A lot of those are level with us or less.  The amount of pull the PL has and money.

I think your claret and blue specs are the most tinted I've ever seen

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Football fans are mental man :D I love Villa as much as anyone but were aren't bigger or even close to most of those teams listed.

• Like 1

On the subject of Smith though, dont really know what to expect from him at Norwich, he had a lot of money and did a good job overall here but theres definite question marks over some big chunks of his time here. Really hope Gerrard isnt a disaster and we dont swap places with Norwich leaving Smith looking smug :D 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I think your claret and blue specs are the most tinted I've ever seen

Maybe but financially a lot of people under value the size and money in the PL compared to other European leagues and while some of those others have big historic names they struggle financially with the teams in the PL.  it’s just the way it is.

• Like 1

Â