Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Drew 0-0 with Philadelphia. Not a classic again but seems to be your standard 2 teams cancelling each other out.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2024 at 17:24, Davkaus said:

That got me in a big way.

Westwood does seem like a good bloke, I think he got a lot more stick than he deserved because he was a player that was good enough for where we were, while a lot of us were still in denial about the shape the club was in.

I spent a lot of time defending Westwood on these boards back in the day. People forget we signed him from League Two, the 4th tier of English football, and he was holding his own in the PL and was actually our best midfielder in his first 2 seasons there before Delph finally found some form. The only one who could keep possession worth a damn, but seemed to be a scapegoat because he wasn't Gareth Barry or whatever. As you say, people still expected us to be "Aston Villa", when we were just a cheap imitation that Lerner cobbled together before he sold us off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Great Interview with him in The Times! 

Agreed and here it is. What a top bloke.

Former Aston Villa manager reveals owners’ thanks for helping to set boyhood club on course for Champions League and explains why he is nicknamed Edward Scissorhands at his new side Charlotte FC

Soon after taking charge of Charlotte FC in North Carolina, Dean Smith, the former Aston Villa manager, found himself driving along the Dean Smith Highway.
“There is also a Dean Smith arena,” Smith says, “and so I was thinking, ‘I must have done really well in my first week here!’ ”
It so happens that Smith is the second Dean Smith to make his mark in the state. The one with the road named after him is the coach that Michael Jordan credited with launching his basketball career and who led the US team to gold at the 1976 Olympics. But our Smith is starting to be recognised on his own terms in the region having been appointed the manager of Charlotte in December.

• Like 1

I hold Dean Smith in high regard. The perfect manager for the time we needed him… not just for getting us promoted, but to bring back a sense of self to the club. Him as manager and Jack as captain, with the promotion really made that whole period feel great and the most “Aston Villa” for a long long time. Him and Jack may have gone, but that feeling is still here. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

Smith remains a big fan of Villa, his boyhood club and the team he managed for three years up until November 2021, and is delighted they have qualified for the Champions League next season.
“I’ve messaged both the owners [Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens] and they came back and said, ‘The process started with you’ which they didn’t have to say. I messaged Unai Emery as well. I’m really pleased for everyone there. It’s a big club and I still support them. The owners had a five-year plan to get to the Champions League and this is their fifth year, so they’ve done what it said on the tin. And I’m looking forward to watching them over the next five years". 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I hold Dean Smith in high regard. The perfect manager for the time we needed him… not just for getting us promoted, but to bring back a sense of self to the club. Him as manager and Jack as captain, with the promotion really made that whole period feel great and the most “Aston Villa” for a long long time. Him and Jack may have gone, but that feeling is still here. 

And after the showers of shit we had up to hiring him, the poor ownership, the ratty wage stealers like Lescott and Richards only a few years before. That era, everything about it, Deano, Jack, the unbeaten run, some of those amazing games, absolutely incredible times.

• Like 1

Lost 3-1 to New York Red Bulls. 

Went into the game with the best defence in the MLS, but one of the worst attacks. Better side first half but in the second had a complete collapse (probably not helped by a lightning delay) to lose the game, with only a last second deflected consolation saving their blushes 

Charlotte really aren't great. They have the building blocks of something decent, their defence is good, they have a solid keeper, but attack wise they are pony. Obviously not helped by their lack of DP players (they have 1 really, Abada who they picked up from Celtic who is obviously talented but has had injuries straightaway) they don't create enough and they aren't clinical enough to win matches off a single chance. I don't see how that changes. 

Supposedly they've agreed 'discovery rights' on Marco Reus, whatever that means, but everyone and his dog knows Reus will not be playing for Charlotte this autumn, so **** knows what the point of that is.

I just read up what discovery rights means

Talk about reinventing the wheel, not sure how the MLS are making such a mess of it all, everything seems overly complicated 

On 28/05/2024 at 13:30, mjmooney said:

“I’ve messaged both the owners [Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens] and they came back and said, ‘The process started with you’ which they didn’t have to say.

Stevie G sent a similar message and got "New phone who dis?"

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Supposedly they've agreed 'discovery rights' on Marco Reus

It's the one thing the entire transfer system has been missing; formalising dibs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Regardless of the occasional bad run, and him obviously having a 'ceiling' in terms of how far he could take us, I don't think anyone could argue the impact Deano had in bringing back good times and some much needed positivity that had been sorely missing from the club for so long.

I'll always love him for that.

Was a few I like Dean but posts all the way through his reign. Was sad and bizarre as same posters really believed in his embarrassing replacement

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You ever just go down a rabbit hole of watching highlights from our promotion season? Especially in the 10 game winning run, we were absolutely brilliant. Can't believe we were playing that kind of football in the Championship. Will be forever grateful to Smith for bringing back my love for football and my belief that we could actually achieve something. Almost a decade of turgid football and I had just about to start losing hope.

Didnt attendances rapidly rise under his management. We werent even a real football club between 2010-2018, we existed on paper but nothing happened except Benteke and a young floppy haired kid called Grealish with potential

Except that we were no different than Colchester or Rochdale or teams like that

Â