Dean Smith

Demitri_C

20 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Plus he also has a talented coaching, data and other football related staff who have vast experience to help inform him along with senior players who also have input.

What? Dean Smith listens to his players! What a radical thought.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I 100% disagree with this last line...  VillaTalk was in full doom and gloom mode the last week of the transfer window because we didn't sign a midfielder and there was a lot of criticism aimed directly at Smith for "not seeing and addressing something so obvious to most fans".  Lots of hot takes on McGinn and Dougie not being good enough for a top half team, the kids not Prem quality or ready yet, and even still Sanson is getting called a flop or "waste of a signing" by some around here when he hasn't kicked a ball in anger this season.  Some still are moaning on about the fact that if we had bought a new CM, it would have automatically made us contenders for Europe...

Fast forward to 5 games into the season and our central midfielders have arguably been our strongest unit so far.  McGinn is back to his old self, Dougie is getting better and better every week (he made the WhoScored team of the weekend yesterday), and young Jacob Ramsey has surpassed all our expectations and is looking like a future star in the making.  If it was up to VillaTalk/the fans, McGinn would have been benched, Douglas Luiz would be off to Roma for 20 million, and Ramsey would be at a mid table Championship club on loan while we have an 18 year old midfielder who only played ~20 games of professional football in France starting...

The point is, we don't know the full story.  Deano does and he hasn't let us down yet.  He took us from mid table in the Championship to mid table in the Prem in 3 seasons while playing some of the best football I've ever seen Villa play, but that still doesn't seem to be enough for some fans... 

🗣️🗣️Say it again louder for the people in the back. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

I 100% disagree with this last line...  VillaTalk was in full doom and gloom mode the last week of the transfer window because we didn't sign a midfielder and there was a lot of criticism aimed directly at Smith for "not seeing and addressing something so obvious to most fans".  Lots of hot takes on McGinn and Dougie not being good enough for a top half team, the kids not Prem quality or ready yet, and even still Sanson is getting called a flop or "waste of a signing" by some around here when he hasn't kicked a ball in anger this season.  Some still are moaning on about the fact that if we had bought a new CM, it would have automatically made us contenders for Europe...

Fast forward to 5 games into the season and our central midfielders have arguably been our strongest unit so far.  McGinn is back to his old self, Dougie is getting better and better every week (he made the WhoScored team of the weekend yesterday), and young Jacob Ramsey has surpassed all our expectations and is looking like a future star in the making.  If it was up to VillaTalk/the fans, McGinn would have been benched, Douglas Luiz would be off to Roma for 20 million, and Ramsey would be at a mid table Championship club on loan while we have an 18 year old midfielder who only played ~20 games of professional football in France starting...

The point is, we don't know the full story.  Deano does and he hasn't let us down yet.  He took us from mid table in the Championship to mid table in the Prem in 3 seasons while playing some of the best football I've ever seen Villa play, but that still doesn't seem to be enough for some fans... 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok,so im getting a lot of stick after posting my thoughts about DS,so let me attempt to explain.Lets get a couple of things streightened out first.

1 - Im not a tactition,I just watch our games ( not the least bit interested in any other PL teams ) and I enjoy watching my team and I enjoy watching good players.

2 - Im not running DS down.IMHO he has the team playing some really good football and ( taking all things into consideration ) I think we are a decent mid table team now under DS.

3 - DS has done a lot better than quite a few of our recent managers,eg Cabbagehead,Lambert,McStupid,to name a few.

4 - Last but not least,we are all allowed our opinions,right ?

So, this is my take on DS.

IMHO Shankly,Fergie, Mercer are great managers,DS knows who the best players in europe are and he uses this knowledge to make us a better team.What im saying is that he knows exactly which players to buy to improve the team and he is doing it.So, the way I see it is that he buys the players that are a great fit for us and thats it.These guys are all top proffesionals so they dont need coaching as such they just needd to keep the skills they already have sharp.The way I see it is that what the team needs is motavation and it looks to me like DS has yet to learn this skill.

Last season we beat Liverpool,Chelski,Spurs and Manure ( in a friendly ) and not only did we have a worse team but we also had AEG,who a lot of players rubbish.Yet with this ( not as good team ) we beat the best.Our academy players gave Liverpool a run for their money,in fact the only reason they lost is because they ran out of steam.The point im trying to make is that if Manure,Liverpool,Spurs etc came over here to play I would give it 200% if I was playing against them but if a team from Fiji,New Caledonia or Lithunia came I would find it hard to raise my game.This is why I think we do well against the top teams,because we do already have a top team and we have proved it against the best,the players just dont get motavated against the lower teams and I put that down to DS,thats his job ( or part of it ) thats why our academy players did so well against Liverpool,because they were motovated.

Yes,I know that even the top teams lose to teams like Norwich,Brighton Stoke etc but this is the exception rather than the rule.In other words we lose to these teams more than we should.    

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

IMHO Shankly,Fergie, Mercer are great managers

That’s got to be the first time Joe Mercer has ever been grouped with Shankly and Ferguson in a great manages list. He wasn’t a bad manager but really? Strange to compare any of them to Dean Smith too, for a whole host of reasons. If in 15 years time Dean is mentioned in the same breath as those two then we will all, well most of us, be absolutely ecstatic. 

Of course you are very welcome to your opinions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KMitch said:

I was in full doom mode, but I wasn't aiming it at Smith. I felt we had been weakened significantly as a result of the summer events, including clubs playing games with us knowing we had extra money, and that eventually affecting our recruitment. Again, it was never aimed at Smith. I don't think I was the only one like that either. 

The last two games have been a massive surprise for me, and the big surprises recruitment/non-recruitment have been Tuanzebe, Ramsey and the nouse of Ings for me. Those three have really helped broaden the skills and balance within the team. It's great and exciting. It's too early to say how the season is going to go, but considering we were average without Grealish last year (and perhaps more critically post covid, which might explain a lot) it's been great to see. One way or another it's a new era now. 

20 minutes ago, mole86 said:

Each to their own but this is probably one of the weirdest opinions I’ve ever read on here, absolutely mental. 

Our players don't need coaching. Outstanding.

Example: Austin MacPhee turns up and our set pieces noticeably improve.

Conclusion: The players (who don't need coaching) were so incensed by the addition of a specific coach (who will just sit inside and not coach them) that they decided to try harder at set pieces just to prove they didn't need him.

I think we've sussed it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

That is my point,we beat teams like Liverpool 7-2 and cant beat 2 recently promoted teams.As I sai when we start beating teams below us,then I will have no misgivings

The point you are making is a valid one and it is a problem for Villa & DS. We drop way too many points against much weaker opposition. I know all games are difficult and I know we thrashed Liverpool and did the double over Arsenal etc. However, to push on we simply have to stop dropping points like we did to Sheffield United last season and Watford et al

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KMitch said:

Fast forward to 5 games into the season and our central midfielders have arguably been our strongest unit so far.  McGinn is back to his old self, Dougie is getting better and better every week (he made the WhoScored team of the weekend yesterday), and young Jacob Ramsey has surpassed all our expectations and is looking like a future star in the making.

Also, Marvelous Nakamba was marvellous when he replaced McGinn

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The point you are making is a valid one and it is a problem for Villa & DS. We drop way too many points against much weaker opposition. I know all games are difficult and I know we thrashed Liverpool and did the double over Arsenal etc. However, to push on we simply have to stop dropping points like we did to Sheffield United last season and Watford et al

Liverpool lost 3-0 to Watford the season the won the league I believe? 

It doesn't really matter how good or bad the teams are that you pick up or drop points to imo. We just need to end the season with more wins than losses and that should be enough to end on comfortably more points than last season, which would all but guarantee top half. 

It's consistency in performance and cutting out silly errors that we need to work on, we give away too many goals and always have under DS. Second highest in the league for mistakes leading to goals again last season. I think that's our Achilles heel and if we cut that out and all the new players click it will be a very exciting season. 

I think people are focusing too much on last season when judging us. It really was a strange season all round with lack of supporters and covid disturbances.  On top of that our squad was weak and we were massively focused on just one player. Whether intentional or not it was Jack and the rest. 
I think we’ll have different discussions after 10 games in this season. Point being I don’t think last season will have bearings on this one and should be used to judge us as a team. 

Â