Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

But I agree that in DS' case the progress made has been absolutely phenomenal and I cannot fathom how some of us don't see this.

I haven't found one Villa fan that doesn't see the progress we have made. I think the people that may be more critical of DS just think that progress could be better. He has made mistakes but as mentioned above, he is still learning and importantly he is showing that he is learning from some previous mistakes. If he keeps that up I will be very happy

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

I haven't found one Villa fan that doesn't see the progress we have made. I think the people that may be more critical of DS just think that progress could be better. He has made mistakes but as mentioned above, he is still learning and importantly he is showing that he is learning from some previous mistakes. If he keeps that up I will be very happy

but that's the thing, Crewe and us have progressed more than ALL other clubs in England. I suppose we could seal that nr 1 spot with an even bigger margin but I mean, is it not good enough? I think it's a little bit absurd that some of us are having such a difficult time being content with the current ways of Villa. Especially since we're not exactly showing signs of slowing down either.

This is not aimed at you btw ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

but that's the thing, Crewe and us have progressed more than ALL other clubs in England. I suppose we could seal that nr 1 spot with an even bigger margin but I mean, is it not good enough? I think it's a little bit absurd that some of us are having such a difficult time being content with the current ways of Villa. Especially since we're not exactly showing signs of slowing down either.

Luton is up there too, they have risen about the same amount of places as we have, so too Sheffield United, I know they were just relegated but they were in League 1 when DS joined Villa.

I know DS is doing a good job but there is no denying that we have has massive investment in the squad. This, without doubt, makes improvement easier than if the investment wasn't made. With the money invested it is fully expected that Villa would be a PL team and if we were currently in the Championship I would expect that DS would no longer be our head coach. In the last few seasons DS has shown in games the inability to have a plan B and last season the inability to come from behind in a game. We can see these weaknesses and fans think that perhaps a different manager would not make these mistakes. But as mentioned, DS is still learning, he is new to this so it is expected that he will make mistakes. The key is that he develops as a head coach as a result of these experiences and this will help improve our performances. I do understand the perspective of fans that believe we could have improved more with a different manager. 

10 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Luton is up there too, they have risen about the same amount of places as we have, so too Sheffield United, I know they were just relegated but they were in League 1 when DS joined Villa.

I know DS is doing a good job but there is no denying that we have has massive investment in the squad. This, without doubt, makes improvement easier than if the investment wasn't made. With the money invested it is fully expected that Villa would be a PL team and if we were currently in the Championship I would expect that DS would no longer be our head coach. In the last few seasons DS has shown in games the inability to have a plan B and last season the inability to come from behind in a game. We can see these weaknesses and fans think that perhaps a different manager would not make these mistakes. But as mentioned, DS is still learning, he is new to this so it is expected that he will make mistakes. The key is that he develops as a head coach as a result of these experiences and this will help improve our performances. I do understand the perspective of fans that believe we could have improved more with a different manager. 

Yes and one could also make the argument that our journey picking up the same amount of places is a much more difficult one too. We have spent heavily this is undeniable, but we also know that throwing money at something doesn't guarantee success either. Could we have done better under a different manager? This is hypothetical. My point is that we HAVE been immensely successful with DS at the helm and are still showing signs of improving. I think that is pretty much the best place we can be at as a football club and see no reason to not be absolutely stoked. We can either look at what has transpired or put more tax on what ifs. I personally prefer the former.

As you said though we see things differently and that's ok.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Sheffield United were above us when Smith took over, they finished 2nd that season and had just smashed us 4-1

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

As you said though we see things differently and that's ok.

Where did I say we see things differently? I think I have agreed with most of what you said. All I have done is try to explain why I think some people may think we could have improved more

I think the fact he is still our manager shows how much the owners and CEO believe in him. There investment has been massive. If they weren’t convinced by Smith he would have been replaced a long time ago. 

Before anyone points to Henry being the number 1 replacement to have a dig at owners/Purslows judgement. Let’s not forget he managed to land a very big job in Europe.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

29 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Where did I say we see things differently? I think I have agreed with most of what you said. All I have done is try to explain why I think some people may think we could have improved more

we as in the general sense. this probably could have been worded a little bit better by me :). let me try:

"As you alluded to though people see things differently and that's ok."

Edited by osmark86

Fore me

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think this is how most fans feel and agree with what you have said.

I was one of the critical ones of Smith last year, no plan B, not recognising early it wasnt working.

So far he has done better, changing it early, taking players off when not playing well, Targett as an example, and the main one, no square pegs in round holes.

Its good, its improving so credit where credit is due, however, Im not getting carried away just yet, we are only one or two big injuries or bad results away from seeing how he really copes and the lessons he has learned from before.

UTV

Edited by Bazmonkey
spell
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think incremental progress is doing him a disservice. Only Crewe Alexandra have climbed the English football ladder more than Villa since Smith joined. It's been a monumental rise from Championship midtable to PL midtable in 3 years.

so you describe that as a disservice, when I have done nothing but praise him and commented on the sensible growth pattern.....no pleasing some.

12 hours ago, Xela said:

Another thing I like about the team, and I'm trying not to sound 'Farage' like, but Its the fact the core of the team is mainly British and is complimented with some top quality overseas talent, like Martinez, Luiz, Bailey, Buendia, etc. Add in the fact we have a local manager and some local young talent coming through like Ramsey, makes me feel like I have more of a connection with the team.

I look at Wolves, and their model, and while it has worked for them, I can't help but feel the players are only there because they have a particular agent and have no real feeling for the club. Whereas I look at the Villa player reactions like Cash yesterday and listening to Mings, McGinn and Martinez, you get the sense they love being here and part of the Villa team. 

Maybe I'm just being an old romantic!

I think the manager creates that environment.

11 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah I'm not even British and I totally get it mate.

For example, I couldn't stand being Arsenal at one point, where you're basically a French team!

You're supposed to be an ENGLISH team after all?!

I like the British core with exotic sprinklings. I reckon Deano and board like this as well, modern old school?

I like the idea of local boys coming through, Birmingham is multicutural anyway, but that strong local connection is the backdrop to our team spirit....The academy is testiment to that.

The sprinklings then soon get the vibe.....Players like John Carew in the past, got the vibe and adopted us.

It would not surprise me if Leon Bailey, gets the vibe, very quickly.

It didn't Take Tyrone Mings long, even though he is English and Danny Ings and Ollie from the same neck of the woods to Ty, seems to be settling very quiclky.

I am totally sold on the mix and long may it continue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Fore me

I think this is how most fans feel and agree with what you have said.

I was one of the critical ones of Smith last year, no plan B, not recognising early it wasnt working.

So far he has done better, changing it early, taking players off when not playing well, Targett as an example, and the main one, no square pegs in round holes.

Its good, its improving so credit where credit is due, however, Im not getting carried away just yet, we are only one or two big injuries or bad results away from seeing how he really copes and the lessons he has learned from before.

UTV

I must admit that I am still one of the critical ones.What will change my opinion is if we can show (right from the start ) that we actually want to win........ when we play a team we consider below us ( as in our first games this season against Watford and Brentford ) I know everybody will jump down my throat here but let me explain.IMHO every team will raise their game when playing a big/bigger team but its only the good teams that raise their game when playing what they consider a lower team. Lets see how we play against Brighton and Palace and compare that against how we play against Chelski,Manure etc.

You only have to look at last season.We beat Liverpool,Arsenal,Spurs and lost to Brighton,Leeds,Saints and Stoke in the league cup.

We are showing the same pattern this season.We couldent beat Watford and Brentford but played really well against Chelski.

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I must admit that I am still one of the critical ones.What will change my opinion is if we can show (right from the start ) that we actually want to win........ when we play a team we consider below us ( as in our first games this season against Watford and Brentford ) I know everybody will jump down my throat here but let me explain.IMHO every team will raise their game when playing a big/bigger team but its only the good teams that raise their game when playing what they consider a lower team. Lets see how we play against Brighton and Palace and compare that against how we play against Chelski,Manure etc.

You only have to look at last season.We beat Liverpool,Arsenal,Spurs and lost to Brighton,Leeds,Saints and Stoke in the league cup.

We are showing the same pattern this season.We couldent beat Watford and Brentford but played really well against Chelski.

we just beat Everton

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

TT took off his £40m Spanish league winning International midfielder and brought on his £50m champions league winning euros winning midfielder who's just won UEFAs player of the year 

Pep and Tuchel gonna win so many points in the 2nd half by "changing tactics." Actually now that I think about it that's exactly what we did to Everton 😂😂.  Pretty much confirms Dean as a world class manager. 

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

we just beat Everton

And where are Everton now ( even after losing ) ? Above us

And where were Everton before saturday  Above us  and what did I say about raising our game when playing a better team ?!

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

A little from column A, a little from column B

Completely agree that he saw saul killing them and made the change 

But that's also a change that he has the luxury of making thanks to the squad that he has 

I know, I am not disputing that whatsoever. Just like DS had the luxury to bring on Bailey for Targett when the Everton bench look very week

6 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

And where are Everton now ( even after losing ) ? Above us

And where were Everton before saturday  Above us  and what did I say about raising our game when playing a better team ?!

Everton are quite obviously punching above their weight at the moment, they have key injuries and even with them back they have no squad depth at all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I don't believe Everton have a better team than us, even when DCL, Richy and Pickford are fit. You can't judge after 4 games of the league. Are Brighton better than Man City?

Â