Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't believe Everton have a better team than us, even when DCL, Richy and Pickford are fit. 

Probably similar?  They did finish 4 points ahead of us last season, and that was with us having a certain player.

We've been weakened and also strengthened at the same time, so hard to judge overall.   They've stayed roughly the same.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Probably similar?  They did finish 4 points ahead of us last season, and that was with us having a certain player.

We've been weakened and also strengthened at the same time, so hard to judge overall.   They've stayed roughly the same.

I get your point. but I believe we will finish above them as have are a stronger squad and some individually brilliant players. Everton really have a weak defence and particularly so at RB. They will struggle this season as they pick up a few injuries. We have so much more depth imo

37 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I must admit that I am still one of the critical ones.What will change my opinion is if we can show (right from the start ) that we actually want to win........ when we play a team we consider below us ( as in our first games this season against Watford and Brentford ) I know everybody will jump down my throat here but let me explain.IMHO every team will raise their game when playing a big/bigger team but its only the good teams that raise their game when playing what they consider a lower team. Lets see how we play against Brighton and Palace and compare that against how we play against Chelski,Manure etc.

You only have to look at last season.We beat Liverpool,Arsenal,Spurs and lost to Brighton,Leeds,Saints and Stoke in the league cup.

We are showing the same pattern this season.We couldent beat Watford and Brentford but played really well against Chelski.

We beat Newcastle? And against Brentford there were severe mitigating circumstances.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I must admit that I am still one of the critical ones.What will change my opinion is if we can show (right from the start ) that we actually want to win........ when we play a team we consider below us ( as in our first games this season against Watford and Brentford ) I know everybody will jump down my throat here but let me explain.IMHO every team will raise their game when playing a big/bigger team but its only the good teams that raise their game when playing what they consider a lower team. Lets see how we play against Brighton and Palace and compare that against how we play against Chelski,Manure etc.

You only have to look at last season.We beat Liverpool,Arsenal,Spurs and lost to Brighton,Leeds,Saints and Stoke in the league cup.

We are showing the same pattern this season.We couldent beat Watford and Brentford but played really well against Chelski.

I can see your point, but it’s a hard heart that looks at good results against top teams and uses it to imply we’re not a decent team. I know you caveat that with the results against Watford (when we had no players) and Brentford (still ahead of us in the league), but still…

To beat Liverpool 7-2 you must not be too bad.

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I get your point. but I believe we will finish above them as have are a stronger squad and some individually brilliant players. Everton really have a weak defence and particularly so at RB. They will struggle this season as they pick up a few injuries. We have so much more depth imo

We do because our recruitment has been so good. With the base they had  to build upon and the money spent in recent years it’s incredible we can consider our squad is stronger than there’s. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We do because our recruitment has been so good. With the base they had  to build upon and the money spent in recent years it’s incredible we can consider our squad is stronger than there’s. 

Totally with you. One thing that really excite me is that we have proper strength in depth for every position except for GK, ironic since we seem to buy a GK in every bloody transfer window for the last 5 or 6 years. But now that we have a full squad with depth any new purchases should be improving quality and not just adding to numbers. We could have some really exciting transfers in the coming windows. I can't wait to see us upgrading our fullbacks and they type of player we bring in

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

And where are Everton now ( even after losing ) ? Above us

And where were Everton before saturday  Above us  and what did I say about raising our game when playing a better team ?!

I Told You Warn GIF - I Told You Warn Family Guy - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We need to turn over Man U to hopefully get another week of happiness.

Happiness? If we ever beat UTD again I want the manager immediately Knighted, VP named the Dean Smith arena and every fan queuing up to give him a reach around before every home game. 

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Happiness? If we ever beat UTD again I want the manager immediately Knighted, VP named the Dean Smith arena and every fan queuing up to give him a reach around before every home game. 

Can you imagine? That's when you would DEFINITELY know, we have something special.

Don't worry though, it won't happen . lol

38 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I can see your point, but it’s a hard heart that looks at good results against top teams and uses it to imply we’re not a decent team. I know you caveat that with the results against Watford (when we had no players) and Brentford (still ahead of us in the league), but still…

To beat Liverpool 7-2 you must not be too bad.

That is my point,we beat teams like Liverpool 7-2 and cant beat 2 recently promoted teams.As I sai when we start beating teams below us,then I will have no misgivings

37 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree that our squad is stronger,much stronger.I think our biggest problem is player motovation,especially against lower teams.

I wouldent be suprised if we beat Liverpool,Manure,Arsenal etc and lost/draw against Norwich,Burnley,Leeds......This is the point I am trying to make.

5 hours ago, TRO said:

so you describe that as a disservice, when I have done nothing but praise him and commented on the sensible growth pattern.....no pleasing some.

I was just pointing out that "incremental" doesn't really capture the scope of the progress we've made, I didn't say you were criticizing him or anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

That is my point,we beat teams like Liverpool 7-2 and cant beat 2 recently promoted teams.As I sai when we start beating teams below us,then I will have no misgivings

Our record against the newly promoted 3 last season:

4 W 1 D 1 L

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I was just pointing out that "incremental" doesn't really capture the scope of the progress we've made, I didn't say you were criticizing him or anything.

sorry for being sensitive, it just appeared you was having a pop, when I was actually  in praise mode.....needless to say a few predictables piled in too.

Dean is doing a fine job, but I don't want to go over board as it encourages an opposite reaction....and its inevitable with the unpredictability of fixtures, injuries suspensions, internationals, that challenges will rear their ugly heads.

I find it interesting how the criticisms ( and lets be fair, some have had merit) have been addressed.

i.e substitutions, last season, gave rise to debate.....and its interesting now, with a bigger squad, that the issue seems to be a dead duck. I am not saying folk was wrong, just that at the time, he had hobsons choice.

The thing is....Us fans see things that Dean see's, but evidently it takes him a bit longer to fix.....I guess seeing it, and fixing it, like he has to do requires a bit more time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Just perhaps, he also sees stuff we don't see. On the field, on the training ground and in the gym.

Just because I would do things differently based on my limited weekly 90 min interaction with the players does not negate years of a coach's experience, training, and albeit Dean's limited professional experience on the pitch. 

As I have said before there is a plethora constraints that Dean is managing and we as fans and spectators have little inkling of.

Plus he also has a talented coaching, data and other football related staff who have vast experience to help inform him along with senior players who also have input.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

I agree that our squad is stronger,much stronger.I think our biggest problem is player motovation,especially against lower teams.

I wouldent be suprised if we beat Liverpool,Manure,Arsenal etc and lost/draw against Norwich,Burnley,Leeds......This is the point I am trying to make.

If you believe that - whop it an accumulator.

Personally I would be staggered if anything like that set of results transpired.

We've lost against the highest placed team played  (Chelsea) and beat the lowest place team we've played (Newcastle)

• Like 1

Â